Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
2/6/13 9:34 p.m.

So I am trying to find a second gen MR2. I think I found one but I am thinking (I haven't seen it yet) it might have a bad engine. So I was wondering if any of you smart fellers have a rough idea of what it would cost or where to source one. I live in the Seattle area.

Thanks!

jere
jere Reader
2/6/13 9:37 p.m.

check your JDM engine importers they should have a few

Will
Will Dork
2/6/13 9:39 p.m.

Turbo or NA? Toyota put the NA's 5SFE in all sorts of stuff...Camrys, Celicas, etc.

jere
jere Reader
2/6/13 9:43 p.m.
Will wrote: Turbo or NA? Toyota put the NA's 5SFE in all sorts of stuff...Camrys, Celicas, etc.

But who would want to put another 5sfe into their car

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/6/13 9:48 p.m.

If I were to swap anything (relatively easily) into an SW20 it would be a Beams 3S-GE.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/6/13 9:59 p.m.

Try checking some forums for info: MR2.Com is probably the most lively.

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
2/6/13 10:20 p.m.

Thanks. MR2oc is the best site and I have been looking over there yet GRM seems to have more knowledge of all things.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/6/13 10:35 p.m.

Need to know which motor it is... if non turbo just grab any old one out of the junkyard and swap sensors if needed.

If turbo, I'd suggest considering rebuilding the motor you have instead of taking a chance on an imported motor.

If you want to buy a turbo motor from forums, mr2oc or alltrac.net would be the places to loom.

porschenut
porschenut Reader
2/7/13 8:12 a.m.

Don't dis the 5sfe. It is a great street motor. I had one, have the turbo version now. The NA motor had good torque, and great mileage. It didn't like to rev but for typical street driving it was very nice. The turbo makes it too easy to go way too fast.

RossD
RossD UberDork
2/7/13 8:28 a.m.

Blow peoples minds and put a 4age or, better yet, a 4agze into it!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
2/7/13 12:16 p.m.
porschenut wrote: Don't dis the 5sfe. It is a great street motor. I had one, have the turbo version now. The NA motor had good torque, and great mileage. It didn't like to rev but for typical street driving it was very nice. The turbo makes it too easy to go way too fast.

making an engine "like" to rev isn't that hard.... I'm sure with careful head work and cam choice, you can make a 5SFE make power well beyond 6k rpm

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/7/13 12:21 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
porschenut wrote: Don't dis the 5sfe. It is a great street motor. I had one, have the turbo version now. The NA motor had good torque, and great mileage. It didn't like to rev but for typical street driving it was very nice. The turbo makes it too easy to go way too fast.
making an engine "like" to rev isn't that hard.... I'm sure with careful head work and cam choice, you can make a 5SFE make power well beyond 6k rpm

I've ridden in a mildly "worked" 5sfe powered car, and it was way quicker than i was expecting.

Shaved head, mild port job, Webcams regrinds, header/exhaust, and port matched intake manifold. Seemed to pull hard all the way to redline quite easily.

I wonder how much of it is the intake manifold. It seems designed purely for low-end torque.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sgz8ghAeozS2WOWlstBdx6VqaG3bDdwhI3pCitn7KD7tpulPhtcyN7E7jDlF2RMl