1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
6/14/16 1:52 p.m.
kanaric
kanaric Dork
6/14/16 1:56 p.m.

Is this the guy that was using leftover parts making V4s as well?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork

Getty Lee doesn't just play mad bass.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork

In reply to kanaric:

That would be awesome, too. Imagine an old Saab with an LS-based V4!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/14/16 2:22 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Getty Lee doesn't just play mad bass.

He's a true multi-tasker:

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/14/16 4:01 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ssA_O4GGhA

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/16 6:44 p.m.

I am more interested in a V4 version of that motor.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
6/14/16 6:51 p.m.

Awesome noise. Gotta see a build thread for that.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
6/14/16 7:12 p.m.

Hey, no problem. Take two blocks, cut 1/2 a cylinder off and cut 1-1/2 cylinders off the other block and weld them together.

I guess you can do anything when you have a Bridgeport mill.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/14/16 7:29 p.m.

I actually think that is a pretty good business plan.

The hot rod market has very little that is unique anymore. For those willing to drop $20 large on an engine, he's offering them something special.

Road tested (in an old school muscle car), dual quads, yeah, I think he will find buyers.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
6/14/16 7:35 p.m.

This makes me wish that GM would have put the V16 into production..

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/14/16 8:48 p.m.

I don't understand someone spending that kind of money on a custom engine and running it on carbs instead of EFI. Interesting engine though.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
6/14/16 8:58 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Its fuel injected...notice those are throttle bodies and not carbs. Little red bars are fuel rails with the injectors underneath.

That said if you take the fuel injection off a 98 ls1 and put on a carb, once its tuned you pick up 50ish hp cause the weezy early intake. But thats a different story for a different time.

tedium850
tedium850 Reader
6/14/16 9:52 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Maybe in a couple years the Motus engine will be available?? If I remember correctly, they are based off either the 350 sbc or LS-series...

http://motusmotorcycles.com/american-v4

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/16 10:15 p.m.

A v4 plus some form of boost and I can think of several cars I have that I would love to put it in. With it having a lsophiapinti@yahoo.com bolt pattern a transfer and clutch are simple would be the accessories.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
6/14/16 10:55 p.m.
chiodos wrote: In reply to T.J.: Its fuel injected...notice those are throttle bodies and not carbs. Little red bars are fuel rails with the injectors underneath. That said if you take the fuel injection off a 98 ls1 and put on a carb, once its tuned you pick up 50ish hp cause the weezy early intake. But thats a different story for a different time.

Put on an LS6 or-gasp-truck intake on it and get the same result for less cash..

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
6/14/16 11:00 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I guess you can do anything when you have a Bridgeport mill.

Actually, a Bridgeport is probably a little small for this kind of work, especially on the block.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
6/15/16 12:45 a.m.
kanaric wrote: Is this the guy that was using leftover parts making V4s as well?

Doesn't appear to be.

SVreX wrote: For those willing to drop $20 large on an engine...

I would guess that starting retail will be closer to double that when all is said and done...Still pretty awesome though.

tedium850 wrote: Maybe in a couple years the Motus engine will be available?? If I remember correctly, they are based off either the 350 sbc or LS-series...

'Inspired by' would be more accurate than 'based off'...They basically took the LS architecture, and shrunk it.

dean1484 wrote: A v4 plus some form of boost and I can think of several cars I have that I would love to put it in.

Agreed...If I ever finish my Locost project, a junkyard LS (or LT by that time) based V4 inspired by the Chet Wilson V4 is currently the next line down on my automotive project bucket list.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/15/16 1:06 a.m.

The crank alone is a $10,000 piece. I know, having had one made.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
6/15/16 5:51 a.m.

What would a v14 sound like?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/15/16 8:24 a.m.

In reply to chiodos:

I see the fuel rails now. I was basing my comment on a previous comment talking about dual quads and didn't pay enough attention when I watched the video the first time.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/15/16 9:03 a.m.

This needs to be in my truck.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/16 9:22 a.m.

So does power output equal about 1.5x a single LS1? Maybe more since, ya know, billet crank and cam.

I guess at the end of the day it seems like an interesting exercise, but I think for me I would rather have a regular LS1 and a turbo that is approximately the displacement of the 4 cylinders I would be down.

5.7L /2 = 2.9L, Volume of a human head seems to be about 3L.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
6/15/16 9:38 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Its all good, i would have poked fun at a dual quad carbed gm based v12 too haha

fireball123
fireball123 New Reader
6/15/16 10:03 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ssA_O4GGhA

The v12 sounds alot better than I thought it would

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fl1R3fQwGb3uFKdYsC3AhT4WSun2rGZ2JDPcogbtqA8e43CuYENgs8O6yprRYKfn