1 2
Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/12 5:25 p.m.
Woody wrote: Modern cars are disappointingly unattractive by comparison, but it seems as if portable toilets have come a long way.

Say what nomination!

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/12 5:33 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: I was about to say you're crazy for leaving that place..but then I remembered what you're leaving *for*. Who knows, one day it might be you bringing in pix that astonishes the younger folks.

Leaving nowadays is not like it was 50 years ago. Cell phones, email, Skype, jet air travel, and 70+mph speed limits mean staying in touch is easier than ever.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/27/12 5:36 p.m.

...and employers with Ferraris and turbo Porsches.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
12/27/12 8:45 p.m.

I had the pleasure to stand next to a 250 GTO back in the late 80's multiple times. There was a Dr. in Charleston that motored around in one for a couple years. I believe it was real and legit as he also had a Jaguar D type racer and a Lotus 1 he also ran around on nice days. I have a couple really crappy pictures of said car sitting outside his house. That was the begining of my love affair with a car I will never be able to own.

peter
peter HalfDork
12/27/12 9:25 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: My elderly co-worker Serio is an ex-Ferrari mechanic who wrenched back in the 60's and 70's. He will tell me to pull up a chair and will pull random stories out about when he was growing up, working on Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Alfa's, ect. He comes in today with some old pictures of himself with the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO #3987 he worked on back in the late 60s. (that is Serio in the red shirt, guy in the white shirt with the pipe is Dr. Baumgardner, owner at that time). You can note that it had the orange lights on the roof that were needed to run at Le Mans. This particular chassis is the one that Roger Penske won the 12 Hours of Sebring in back in 1963 (in GT), driven by Alain de Cadenet and is now currently owned by Ralph Lauren. Very cool story.

Wonder if Serio knows Francois, the Ferrari mechanic who mentors Tom Yang of TomYang.net fame. I wonder how many of these cool old mechanics are left and how close the circle was back in the day...

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
6/4/13 4:57 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: My elderly co-worker Serio is an ex-Ferrari mechanic who wrenched back in the 60's and 70's. He will tell me to pull up a chair and will pull random stories out about when he was growing up, working on Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Alfa's, ect. He comes in today with some old pictures of himself with the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO #3987 he worked on back in the late 60s. (that is Serio in the red shirt, guy in the white shirt with the pipe is Dr. Baumgardner, owner at that time). You can note that it had the orange lights on the roof that were needed to run at Le Mans. This particular chassis is the one that Roger Penske won the 12 Hours of Sebring in back in 1963 (in GT), driven by Alain de Cadenet and is now currently owned by Ralph Lauren. Very cool story.

Duke,

Pardon the thread resurrection...do you know who took this pic? A friend of mine owned that car, he is the one in the youtube vids blasting around the canyons.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
6/24/13 3:53 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

I just spoke with "Uncle Serio" today. I have to call him back on Wednedsday. When I do, I'll ask him.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
6/25/13 12:18 a.m.

Amazing pics. Good lord.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/26/13 7:02 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: In reply to JFX001: I just spoke with "Uncle Serio" today. I have to call him back on Wednedsday. When I do, I'll ask him.

Very cool story! Ask him also if he ever worked with Jo Rodriguez

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vCglbm8Ml3mfG1hdKqhOFZpzmHA0fJsskmbAfyWQ9PiK4TIvM4AjdAl4Huv8AbQp