1 2 3 4
Opti
Opti UltraDork
1/10/24 9:41 a.m.

I watch VGG, his persona makes me chuckle, but what I enjoy much more is he is a very good wrench, his schtick is a bumbling country dude, but most of the time his technical aptitude is quite obvious.

I really enjoy Sleeperdude, its the only one the wife gets upset if I watch it without her. Ive caught myself saying casing more than a couple times. Made me go buy some "Vain-yahs."

Polebarn is very good

Junkyard Digs is a hit or miss for me, there was a stretch where a bunch of his videos seemed half assed, but Ive recently started watching again. The brand new video with a worn out impala they try to drive back from texas and have to get creative with an improvised recycling catch can, was a gearheads retelling of the little engine that could. Plus it had Angus, and Dalton, and I enjoy the videos hes in.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
1/10/24 9:49 a.m.

Oh I cannot understand tasting random automotive fluids at all.  Licking the dipstick in any way is just... seems criminal.  Every time he does that I shudder.

Patientzero
Patientzero Dork
1/10/24 1:40 p.m.

I've never heard of this guy until this thread.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
1/10/24 2:07 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

You should check out his channel,  it's worth a view.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/10/24 2:14 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

You can smell & taste burnt bearings.

throttlegrotto
throttlegrotto New Reader
1/10/24 4:30 p.m.

I'm glad to see him doing well. A little jelly of the success, but for those of you that haven't taken on a youtube channel...it's HARD work. It adds a ton of time to all the projects to film, and it's one of those 'jobs' that no matter how well you perform, it's not going to be good enough.  If I knew the secret to success on the platform, I wouldn't be sitting at my day job mulling the secret to success.  But if tasting a dipstick does the trick? I'm gonna start drinking that 710 fluid on the regular. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
1/10/24 4:50 p.m.
914Driver said:

You can smell & taste burnt bearings.

Yes.  If you can smell it (you can) why taste it?  That's my point; it's not really needed and it makes me worry about him poisoning himself.  And making other people think its safe because he's not the only YouTuber that I see doing it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/10/24 8:56 p.m.

Theres a disclaimer at the beginning of every one of his videos saying expressly NOT to do what he does.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/11/24 8:26 a.m.

I found him from MTOD.  Was watching one his rescues, my wife walks by " I have seen him on TikTok, he is funny.".  After that I have started watching his YouTube Channel.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/11/24 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

Junkyard Digs is extremely hit or miss for me. Sometimes, what he does is great, but other times, I get annoyed by how he approaches troubleshooting and getting things running. I also agree, his supporting cast (especially Angus) help the videos. That guy is great! 

Another one that is along these lines that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason is Dylan McCool. I don't know how that kid gets access to all that cool old iron, but specifically the way he goes about working on stuff drives me nuts. There was a video where he was working on an old Bronco where he just kept trying to start the thing when it obviously wasn't going to run, and then throwing brake clean down the carb 100x and trying again for like 10 minutes... just no. Even my wife was saying "WTF is he doing? Even I know that's not gonna work!". He's still young, so there's room for improvement there. 

scooterfrog
scooterfrog Reader
1/12/24 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

i love the goats on sleeper dude.  worse than a toddler.

the boy reminds me of my son  who died in 2022

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/12/24 2:06 p.m.

The undisputed (in my opinion) king of will it run videos is Jennings Motorsport. He likes to take cars that have been locked up solid for a century or more and fire them up. There's not usually even much car left attached to the solid rusted block of metal that is the engine and he still gets them to fire off and run in some fashion. It's pretty entertaining. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/24 2:10 p.m.
scooterfrog said:

In reply to Opti :

the boy reminds me of my son  who died in 2022

I'm not clicking the like button on that.  Sorry dude.  Hope you're holding up ok.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/12/24 2:37 p.m.

Another channel I've been watching a ton of lately is Stay Tuned, which is Tony Angelo's channel. It's like watching an alternate universe version of my own friend group wrenching on stuff. They build cool stuff, joke around, and eat random food during their builds, which all happens when my friends get together. One minute, they are slapping together an old Trans Am, Dodge pickup, a Sy/Ty project, or something else cool and weird, and the next minute, they are eating homemade pizzas in someone's backyard, which are actual things that have happened to me and my friends specifically. Weird! 

He also seems like a genuine good guy with no schtick; just straight up wrenching and fun.  

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
1/12/24 3:24 p.m.

I watched a Junkyard Digs last night based on the recommendations in this thread.

'73 Nova that's already been on fire once.  Cylinders full of fuel, plugs out, ignition on, atf covering every surface in a 10' radius, fuel bottle on the fender.

What a clown.

Opti
Opti UltraDork
1/13/24 6:28 p.m.

In reply to Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado :

Ive done dumber E36 M3. Some of my most entertaining stories involve us doing incredibly dumb stuff and no one getting hurt. Is he a clown? Yah sometimes. Like most of us. Is he entertaining? Yah sometimes.

Ill keep watching.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
1/15/24 1:08 p.m.

I really like Junkyard Digs.  Great content and it's how I'd work on the cars.  Not perfect, not half-assed.  Great content.  Angus and his other friend from Minn-a-sow-tah ya are unsung heroes.  

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/24 7:44 p.m.

I'm a coldwarmotors fan.  I'm mostly interested in just making old stuff work again.  These guys are working on old cars when it's -40 outside 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/16/24 8:01 a.m.

I can see how some people may not like Kevin of JYD if they aren't used to him. But, I've been watching him since Luke (Thunderhead289) and he brought a '65 F100 back from the dead in the beginning of the channel. Kevin is an almost exact carbon copy of my deceased school pal, from the bad beard to the consumption of awful beer and peculiar choice in girlfriends. For me, it's like reliving part of my youth. 

The burned out Nova is Mook's car. Watching the video where Mook tests hot sauces while half-lit was pretty hilarious.

I've tried to watch Cold War Motors a few times and I just can't. Maybe if the guy learned how to edit...

VGG just did a 2.5 hour video on painting a vehicle for cheap. It's pretty much identical to how I've done those projects, but without the incredible metal patching skill Derek has. That the paint job turned out only marginally better than what he started with was an accurate reflection of how most amateur resprays look. Derek and I share a disdain for 'shiny cars' for the same reasons. 

Cioli
Cioli New Reader
3/12/24 12:43 p.m.

I just started watching it. I like it. I'm not even a car guy. The other shows with perfect garages and the same we will never finish it on time story does not interest me. He regularly does not get to finish it properly. 

A technique he regularly uses is something I did many years ago. My 66 Ford Galaxie 500, 390 was not getting gas from the tank. We were two blocks away in an alley. I sat up in the engine compartment and sprayed/poured gas in the carb while my buddy drove with his head out the window. We drove it that way all the way home. This was around 1972. Derek would have been proud of me, but he was not born yet.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/12/24 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Cioli :

I assure you, those kind of antics didn't stop in 72. Nope.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NOWJVqhIsBHfX9HJIjkH1acTRrp4kj1ZUck7DQ2jKxXJZCTJNLjr9uh01SSAH8Vj