P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/30/08 9:59 a.m.

I could use some help here! I signed up for my first HPDE :twisted: and I'll be using the P71 'Vic. I have those shiny new beautiful GRM number boards (and some numbers for them) but I don't want to actually "stick" them on the cop car, it would ruin the "look" :grin: . Plus I want to be able to cycle back and forth with the RX-7. So what I need are 2 giant flat magnets that I can stick them too, then I can magnet them to the doors.

The other thing I need is a set of removable vinyl numbers (2 sets actually). Writing in shoe polish on the windows for drag racing is finally starting to annoy me and some of the club rules up here require numbers on the windows instead of the doors (go figure). Some extras and "dots" for my dial-in would be good too :twisted: .

So any suggestions/recommendations would be HIGHLY appreciated. I need this stuff like yesterday! I figure I'd just open up GRM and start calling places in the back, but some pointers on who to go to would be better.

THANKS!!!

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
5/30/08 10:24 a.m.

I got my magnetic material off e-bay but the thing you want to look for is the thicker material. The thin stuff (like refridgerator magnets) doesn't stick as well. I can't think of the thinckness I used but I assume the thicker the better. You may also want to put a piece of clear tape on the leading edge to help pervent the big panels being blown off.

As for the removable numbers for the windows you might look at "static cling" stuff.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
5/30/08 10:27 a.m.

Static cling sucks.

But sometimes its your only choice.

DrBoost
DrBoost New Reader
5/30/08 10:53 a.m.

I used the magnetic vent block off panels from home depot. I used a few of them for my GRM # board. I've also (before I had a number board) cut numbers out of those same magnetic panels. In fact, I'm running to HD on lunch today to get more panels since I lost the others.

Hal
Hal None
5/30/08 11:23 a.m.

I have looked at the HD panels but I needed something a little larger. So I went to a local sign shop and bought the material they use to make their signs. Got a piece about 3 feet square for around $20. Wasn't cheap but I could cut it to the shape I wanted. I have used part of it for backing for vynl stickers and drawn on other parts with permanent magic markers.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
5/30/08 12:11 p.m.

You can get 12" x 18" magnetic sheets at the chain craft stores (the ones that sell silk flowers and scrapbook junk) but it is the thin stuff. Thicker sheets may be available at the chain office supply stores.

For the windows, you can get white 'contact paper' adhesive vinyl just about anywhere and cut numbers or whatever you want - peel, stick and apply. One use only but the rolls are dirt cheap. White is everywhere, you can also get various poofy flower prints, plaids and woodgrain. I've looked extensively for dark, solid colors but haven't found any.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hUC5ns4MvI3vIaBe0uDaPpZZkC4SiGzUk7HbyUyrG6t0YVkkduUnHPy6Go89Op0I