1 2
ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
4/7/15 3:11 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

In my Dropbox Home screen - where it lists all the main folders - there is a default folder named "Public" that has a little picture of a globe on it. Anything in that folder you can right click on the file name and get a shareable URL link. The only caveat is that when the link pops up you have to highlight and right-click-copy it, their "copy" button doesn't work.

So, yeah, that's probably too confusing to be helpful....

Gary
Gary HalfDork
4/7/15 3:49 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: ---buy a solid car and enjoy it. Just don't expect to make a lot of $$ on it. These are getting worth more $$, but only the very best ones will command the top-tier prices. There seem to be plenty of "driver quality" cars out there, so I don't see those cars getting uber valuable anytime soon.

I had a chance to talk to Wayne Carini at the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance back in February (for about 45 secs.) about his Volvo P1800/S/ES claim of $100K "very soon." He clarified his Forbes Life comments to mean only the very earliest, top tier example(s). In other words, Jensen bodied cars that have had a $100K pro restoration might sell for $100K at a top auction. Roger Moore's autograph somewhere on it might help too.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
4/7/15 4:30 p.m.

my first 1800S was a Jensen bodied car 1964... with a B18B (back in 1976) I paid $200.00 for it, the rust was not yet terminal, so we cleaned it and used Rustoleum fish oil primer on the floors.

second one was this one... a 1968 1800S, purchased at a used car dealer in NJ (1978)

Last one was a 1970E back in the late 1980s.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/7/15 5:42 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

I dug through my Dropbox Home screen and there was no folder named "public" until I made one. Of course, then when I tried to drag a picture into that folder nothing happened. Right-clicking on any picture in a Dropbox view gets nothing but a standard IE prompt. No "dropbox" specific options.

Just logged into it here at home. When I right-click on a picture in the folder, there is a "Share" option, which gives me this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7lrbyi2nme0osm/2013-03-01%2009.08.09.jpg?dl=0 ...which as far as I can tell just gives the same link I posted before. I can't find anything that gives a hosting path.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/8/15 8:20 a.m.

Holy mother of pop-ups and phishing bots!! No wonder our IT dept blocks photobucket. How the hell do you guys use that site??? Besides the fact it take 10 minutes to load the damn page, it caused my virus software to go nuts and basically crashed my laptop.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/15 10:46 a.m.
NGTD wrote:
Ian F wrote: I'd love to start build threads, but picture hosting/posting seems to escape me. What some of you guys do seems like voodoo...
1. Sign up with Photobucket 2. Put pictures there 3. Copy the "Direct" link from the picture 4. Come here and click the little "camera" that appears above when making a comment. 5. Paste the link into the box that shows up

I like imgur better.

http://imgur.com/

Better links, better interface.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/8/15 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Harvey:

Still blocked at work, but I'll take a look at home.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
4/8/15 12:34 p.m.

I found a local craigslist ad for the car. better pics and slightly more info. Seems strange to change one from injection to carb. Was that a common fix on these?

http://macon.craigslist.org/cto/4960524283.html

Looks less like a $14k car to me.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/15 12:37 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Harvey: Still blocked at work, but I'll take a look at home.

If PB and Imgur are blocked at your work then they are all likely blocked.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/8/15 12:38 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

I had this gut feeling it had been saddled with a Weber conversion. Such a shame and will hurt value to a collector. I agree it's maybe a $10K car, tops.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
4/8/15 12:52 p.m.

If the body can be declared good then the car is worth the asking price.

Based on my limited experience, the cars are going to rust like crazy. However, I don't see where this rust can be hidden from a reasonably diligent buyer.

The goal here is to purchase, drive, and then sell for what you paid in about the same (or better) state you bought it. To play this game, you need a car with a body that remains in stasis during your tenure.

I want to see the front frame rails where they kick up. I want to see the seam in front where it crosses the turn indicator I want to see the bottom of the front fenders behind the splash panel. I want to see the pinch wells at the sills I want to see the lowermost points in front and behind the rear wheel openings. I want to run my hand around the wheel-opening/inner tub lip

Gary
Gary HalfDork
4/8/15 2:31 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

You're starting to get erotic about this car

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
4/8/15 2:41 p.m.
Gary wrote: In reply to NOHOME: You're starting to get erotic about this car

Hey, why not; the P1800 is a sexy piece of tin!

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
4/8/15 2:42 p.m.

I want to buy it some Champagne and chocolates and take it to dinner

Gary
Gary HalfDork
4/8/15 2:46 p.m.

Check to see if it's leaking any fluids yet.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/8/15 3:23 p.m.
Gary wrote: Check to see if it's leaking any fluids yet.

It's an old VOlvo. Leaking fluids is a given.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
4/8/15 3:32 p.m.

Not precipitated by probing the nether regions of the body, as NOHOME suggests?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/8/15 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Gary:

Nope. Just pure incontinence. No poking or other stimulation required.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/15 6:35 p.m.

Why would you ever put those stripes on that car? Ugh...

Pbw
Pbw New Reader
4/8/15 7:02 p.m.

What does that hand writing say? "Nice ?????? Original car"?

Gary
Gary HalfDork
4/8/15 7:10 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Gary: Nope. Just pure incontinence. No poking or other stimulation required.

I'm disappointed. I thought there was more to this hobby than just sheet metal and cast iron.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/16/15 3:00 p.m.

Hmmmmmmm, fair amount not stock... with a $22,000 price tag........

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/5014618327.html

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r1zxYrvfwYeMWqI5IAjLIguZX4j81ME4BEv7I2BtLJ80Qb6HCrBqsGmn8166PJ4B