J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/13/23 1:53 p.m.
feature_image

If you’ve been contemplating buying a brand-new Mini with a third pedal, you better put in your order now. Production of manual Minis are set to end at the close of February 2024.

Despite recent efforts promoting the manual, a school to teach people how to use the third pedal and features such hill start assist, Mini didn’t move the …

Read the rest of the story

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/13/23 4:47 p.m.

They should do what Honda did and allow the Cooper S/JCW/GP to be manual only.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/13/23 4:56 p.m.

The mandatory packages kill it for me.  To get the few options I actually want, the configurator forces me to build a car I don't want. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/14/23 10:38 a.m.

I will say this: The manuals in the Minis are some of the easiest to use, even if you're not so good with the third pedal.

I'd love to see JCWs with a manual option still.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/14/23 11:32 a.m.

My ex-wife managed to learn stick on an r53 cooper S. If I can teach that woman a manual in a MINI, anyone can learn. She once tripped and fell while sitting on the couch. 

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/14/23 11:40 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

The mandatory packages kill it for me.  To get the few options I actually want, the configurator forces me to build a car I don't want. 

Yeah, I wish they never changed that. I actually custom ordered a 2017 JCW with exactly what I wanted.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/14/23 1:46 p.m.
Mndsm said:

My ex-wife managed to learn stick on an r53 cooper S. If I can teach that woman a manual in a MINI, anyone can learn. She once tripped and fell while sitting on the couch. 

Which year?  The clutch in my 2006 R53 is significantly lighter than the one in my ex's 2003.  And both feel different to the clutch that was in our 2007 Cooper.  None were as easy to use as the clutch in my 2003 TDI. 

The whole options thing really irks me.  I am seriously the last person MINI should drive away: mid-50's with more than enough disposable income to afford to buy a new MINI.  But I'm not going to spend well north of $40K on a car that doesn't make me happy. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Wcftiii4P9kbons0FU0421T4Mb5SFx5muvKHWLBg04Lb7eFsBcUhHYX8v5LT6kf