dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/20 2:21 p.m.

The trailer I recently acquired came with a winch, in a nice box. I pulled it off that trailer in order to move it to a different trailer. Currently, there is a quick disconnect outside the box. I need to disassemble it in order to feed the wires back through the small hole in the side of the box. 

I'm not well versed in wiring. Given that, can anyone offer the presumably simple steps required to take this apart?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/21/20 2:44 p.m.

The long side with a bumpout has a tang in it. Use a dental pick doemwn between the plastic and metal of the connector from the not wire side to release the tang. Pulls out of the wire side.

berettaman
berettaman New Reader
3/22/20 12:17 a.m.

Yeah, just use a little screwdriver blade to push down on the metal bump inside the connector while pulling on the wire a bit on the other side.  Easy peasy.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/20 11:20 p.m.

FYI, those appear to be standard "Anderson" connectors as used in many high-current DC systems (UPSes are a big one).  You can buy them from McMaster for quite a bit less than what Warn wants, although you'll need a pretty hefty crimping tool to put the ends on (I use a HF hydraulic crimper).

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/23/20 6:04 a.m.

In reply to codrus :

I've been considering adding one of these as an air compressor hookup for airing tires. You happy with the HF crimper?

daeman
daeman Dork
3/23/20 6:38 a.m.

I did alot of Anderson plugs when I was working on battery powered commercial cleaning equipment. You can use a drift or pin punch and a hammer if you can put the terminal on a hard surface. Not super pretty, but it works and gets you out of a bind if you don't have a heavy duty crimper.

Otherwise a hammer crimper is what I used most of the time. 

One like this 

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
3/23/20 8:09 a.m.

You can also easily grind a piece of aluminum into shape and do the crimping in a vice. Works well, easy and cheap/near free.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
3/23/20 8:21 a.m.

In reply to daeman :

I have hammer crimper also. When I make cables I put the crimper in a large bench vise and you can control the amount of crimp much better.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/23/20 10:03 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

In reply to codrus :

I've been considering adding one of these as an air compressor hookup for airing tires. You happy with the HF crimper?

It's not perfect, but it gets the job done.  The dies aren't really the right shape, and it seems like you kinda want three hands sometimes, but the price isn't bad and it does work.  It hasn't turned into a hammer yet, either.  :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oJBRfweoWXlb2VnGoL0RttaMIAyDGoS0IaTOQbnfOaIsz2vyHJIVTAyrBaA4NZGq