1 2
irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/14/17 9:17 p.m.

FYI, For 2017, Washington DC SCCA RallyCross will be running all of our events at the awesome Rally Farm in Catlett, VA (about an hour south of DC). This venue is all-grass/dirt and easier on cars and tires than our old Frostburg site, and has a ton of different racing areas to keep it fresh. The Farm is owned by stage rallyists and events are run by enthusiasts.

DC rallycross is one of the best-organized rallycross clubs in the country, with man of the best drivers in the country - so it's super-friendly to newbies but also full of great competition in almost every class - whether you're running a Subaru, old BMW, Miata, Focus, or any other kind of car you can think of, you CAN run it out there, whether it's bone-stock or heavily modded.

DC will be running 7 local events this season, as well as the three-day East Coast Championship in July. Come join us for some fun and competition. Once you try it, you'll be hooked!

2017 Schedule: March 18- Test and Tune March 19- Championship Event 1 April 9- Championship Event 2 May 7- Championship Event 3 June 11- Championship Event 4 July 7,8,9- East Coast National Challenge September 16- Test and Tune September 17- Championship Event 5 October 15- Championship Event 6 November 12- Championship Event 7

For more information:

DC SCCA RallyCross page: http://www.wdcr-scca.org/events/rallycross

Official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/wdcrrallycross/?fref=ts

DC "Unofficial" Rally/Rallycross Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/165531243849650/

And while you're at it, a shameless plug - feel free to visit our own e30 stage rally page on FB: https://www.facebook.com/PitchblackRally/?fref=ts

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/17 10:10 p.m.

So glad that the region has a rally specific location again. This will harken back to the Orange, VA days

johndej
johndej Reader
1/14/17 10:43 p.m.

Oh wow, this is close enough to RVA to mmaybe get up there. I grew up in Culpeper and never remember them running in Orange but looking it up I can see where they were out there all the damn time.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/14/17 10:51 p.m.
johndej wrote: Oh wow, this is close enough to RVA to maybe get up there. I grew up in Culpeper and never remember them running in Orange but looking it up I can see where they were out there all the damn time.

Less than 1 1/2 hours from Richmond....Most of us have been driving 2-3 hours to Frostburg the last few years, so you have no excuse not to come!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/17 11:34 p.m.

Thanks for posting this. I'll eventually get up to one of your events, but 4 hours is a haul.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
1/14/17 11:52 p.m.

Dammit. I was looking for a co-drive for the December Frostburg because it was so close to me. Now I have a 4 hour drive. :/

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
1/15/17 8:49 a.m.

Wish I still had a suitable car. I haven't been to an event since they were held at Summit.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/15/17 8:52 a.m.
snailmont5oh wrote: Dammit. I was looking for a co-drive for the December Frostburg because it was so close to me. Now I have a 4 hour drive. :/

Welcome to what the rest of us have been doing for the past two years, lol....

The nice part about the Farm is that the owners have a high-bay garage on-site (and tools and stuff) so if something breaks, can fix the car there. Plus if you have to leave the car there, no big deal. Also there are trees/shade in the paddock area if you park in the right place, which is awesome in the summer :)

most importantly for most of us is that the grass/dirt surface hardly wears down tires at all. Talk to the guys at F-burg who were totally destroying sets of rally tires ($$) in less than a season at Frostburg - and the snow tire guys even more frequently. It's a money-saver at the farm where you don't have to lose that big expense.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/15/17 8:53 a.m.
Armitage wrote: Wish I still had a suitable car. I haven't been to an event since they were held at Summit.

If you have a car (non-SUV/truck), then you have a suitable car!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/17 8:58 a.m.
snailmont5oh wrote: Dammit. I was looking for a co-drive for the December Frostburg because it was so close to me. Now I have a 4 hour drive. :/

Since I'm kind of in this camp as well, do I remember being told camping was ok?

I'm still waiting on my autocross season schedule,and even though it's 4 hours away I'd still like to get to a few events, it's just definitely an overnight affair now. And it sounds like I'll have a better shot at making it home on my tires than I would have from Frostburg, so I'll call that a plus.

captdownshift
1/15/17 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Armitage:

Are you open to codriving a small, lightweight early 90s hatchback?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/15/17 2:43 p.m.

As far as I recall, camping is always ok there (not sure if fires are ok, but camping is).

There are also cheap hotels about 15 minutes away, FWIW

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/15/17 3:43 p.m.

Well I no longer have an excuse, So long as I can get coverage from work ill try my best to be out there this year.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/15/17 5:48 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: Well I no longer have an excuse, So long as I can get coverage from work ill try my best to be out there this year.

Tom, did you get a car yet?

I happen to know someone who is selling a Volvo 240 (logbooked/caged) rally car for pretty cheap ;)

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/15/17 5:50 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Have to get her TDI replacement first, but tax time is right around the corner, shoot me a link.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/15/17 6:36 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: In reply to irish44j: Have to get her TDI replacement first, but tax time is right around the corner, shoot me a link.

Linked you on FB to the post. The current owner will be running his open-class Subaru rally car with WDCR this season too, so he'll be at events.

NorseDave
NorseDave New Reader
1/16/17 6:19 a.m.

Yeah, I def have to get the suspension refreshed on the 190E and make a few of these this year.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/16/17 6:25 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
JtspellS wrote: In reply to irish44j: Have to get her TDI replacement first, but tax time is right around the corner, shoot me a link.
Linked you on FB to the post. The current owner will be running his open-class Subaru rally car with WDCR this season too, so he'll be at events.

Is that Jason? He hasn't sold the 240 yet?

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 New Reader
1/16/17 7:35 a.m.

I gotta be honest, im kinda sad that were not going to frostburg at least once this year, i really loved racing on true blue gravel. dirt just isnt the same. it also breaks steelies.....

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/16/17 9:33 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
irish44j wrote:
Is that Jason? He hasn't sold the 240 yet?

Yes, he has not sold it yet. Has lowered the price though.

ojannen
ojannen GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/16/17 4:49 p.m.

Is Frostburg done as a rallycross venue?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/16/17 5:43 p.m.
ojannen wrote: Is Frostburg done as a rallycross venue?

For the time being, it appears so. You'd have to ask Adam to know for sure, but I'd venture the following reasons are the major factors for the change:

1. Rally Farm is closer for about 80% of our regular attendees, and a much larger base to enlarge our turnout withe people from Baltimore and Richmond (<1.5 hours away) and NoVa/DC area. Frostburg was 3+ hours away from the great majority of regulars, and few of the Baltimore/central VA. people who used to come out to Summit Point would drive all the way the Frostburg.

2. Could be a cost factor, IDK what we are paying for the two sites.

3. Frostburg was a LOT of work for the organizers. They were always out there the day before with heavy equipment (which we had to rent) trying to make sure the surface would hold up. Rally Farm is basically arrive and set up a course, and run (well, more work than that, but that's basically it).

4. We all know the Rally Farm owners - they are stage rallyists and they provide a great place to do it! The owner of the frostburg venue, who was a motorsport enthusiast, sadly died last year (in a plane crash) and his family was nice enough to let us keep running there. Perhaps they are selling the property or something, not sure.

5. Frostburg was brutal on tires. I'd destroy a set of $$ gravel tires each season, even with a low-power 2WD car. The Farm = almost no tire wear.

Anyhow, those are my guesses. I'm pretty happy for the change. F-burg was a hike for me (almost 3 hours on the highway), while the Farm is under an hour on fun country roads...

captdownshift
1/16/17 7:24 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

I never made the drive to frostburg from Baltimore, and though my car isn't prepped, I'd drive to Summit for the Latin American rallysprints to take photos. I'll do the same, photo wise, when I'm able to drive on the road, at the Farm until I have the car together.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/16/17 8:44 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

where are you at again? I've been known to make crazy long drives, and I also like shooting pictures. Plus Mazduece has been giving me the rallycross hard sell (haven't figured out how to add one to the fleet, though). The Farm is close enough that it'll be hard to not get to one to at least observe. Unfortunately I'm probably going to be tied up until the June event.

captdownshift
1/16/17 8:46 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead:

I'm just north of Baltimore in Parkville.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mm6VjTSGV5sRfT6lE2O4PXNaVKW9m3HRliXh2SlBbUKWgvQAEeK1ef5GVz89WiUX