92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
9/16/12 8:14 p.m.

Today i swapped out my 7psi spring for a 10psi spring.

Logic would have told me that the car would have spooled better/faster to target boost. (15psi for now, 20-24psi later, hence the swap.)

It spools slower.

Am i missing something here?

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/16/12 9:50 p.m.

Also, any recommendations on camber bolts that actually friggin' work?

I'm getting a bit frustrated with buying parts for this damn car that are supposed to be direct fitment, and being anything but.

These were Moogs purchased from RockAuto. They aren't even close to fitting, and because they were purchased awhile back, they won't do anything about it.

Don't get me started with Addco right now.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/16/12 9:52 p.m.

How would the release point of the wastegate effect the speed of the spool? You would think that would have to do with the turbo itself...?

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/16/12 9:56 p.m.

Well, i think i was blowing the wastegate open on the 7psi spring... spool was really weird and displaying all the characteristics of a maxed out spring.

Either way... i cannot fathom how it would be SLOWER with a 10psi spring.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/16/12 10:01 p.m.

I'm not sure either. How sure are you that its slower and not just taking longer? THAT would make sense.

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/16/12 10:08 p.m.

If it was taking longer... it would by definition, be slower. And that makes sense.

But it doesn't make sense in terms of the original question...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/16/12 10:11 p.m.

Depends on your definition of slower.

Spooling quicker in my mind means it will actually build pressure at a higher speed.

Taking longer to spool in my mind means it used to release at 8 psi, while now it needs more time because it has to get to 10 psi.

So what gives?

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/16/12 10:14 p.m.

Lol right...

I was running 15psi via boost controller with the 7psi spring.
I'm now still running 15psi via boost controller with the 10psi spring.

It's now taking longer to reach the same 15psi target with the 10psi spring, than it did with the 7psi spring.

So it's spooling slower.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
9/16/12 10:33 p.m.

build a leak tester for your turbo pipes... leaks are bad...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/16/12 10:37 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

That clarifies things a bit lol.

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/16/12 10:40 p.m.

In reply to donalson:

Tester to 40psi. No leaks.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/16/12 10:46 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: In reply to donalson: Tester to 40psi. No leaks.

Just blew the welds on the intake...

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
9/16/12 11:43 p.m.

Did you by chance have the restrictor in the line on your 7psi wastegate? I dealt with slow spool on my probe when I pulled the restrictor, it just sorta lazed up to the target boost instead of blasting there and holding. Then again, the factory boost solenoid did that as well (bled off small amount of boost signal when given voltage so wg didn't see as much boost until certain airflow or rpm).

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/17/12 6:15 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: Did you by chance have the restrictor in the line on your 7psi wastegate? I dealt with slow spool on my probe when I pulled the restrictor, it just sorta lazed up to the target boost instead of blasting there and holding. Then again, the factory boost solenoid did that as well (bled off small amount of boost signal when given voltage so wg didn't see as much boost until certain airflow or rpm).

It's a TurboSmart UltraGate38, none of the factory boost control stuff is present on the car anymore.

I could post a video of how the car reacted with the 7psi spring @ 14psi, but i'm not sure how the general populace of the board would react to a video of a "very fast highway merge."

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
9/17/12 6:41 a.m.

Quit being a Bob Costas ben. Weld that berkeleyer shut. That'll cure the lag issue

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/17/12 6:44 a.m.

.... Interesting.

I found the part numbers.

The 7psi spring that i have is part number TS-0501-2005.

The 10psi spring is TS-0505-2005.

Apparently the 7psi spring that i have is actually for a HyperGate, not an UltraGate, and is a good 50mm longer than the 10psi spring. (Massive preload = faster spool?)

Sooo... maybe what i'm seeing with the 10psi spring FOR the Ultragate is what's actually supposed to happen? The weird thing is that without the boost controller hooked up, the huge 7psi spring still gives me 7psi with no creeping.

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/17/12 6:45 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Quit being a Bob Costas ben. Weld that berkeleyer shut. That'll cure the lag issue

I'm not quite to that stage with this car yet... i need to finish my setup to run some 680s then i'll give it a whirl and see what happens.

berkeley it. Here's a video showing boost response on the old spring. Bear in mind that this is NOT a small turbo.

http://youtu.be/i8Pgea50SsE

I think i'm just going to go back to the old spring and jack the boost up and see just how bad it gets.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
9/17/12 7:08 a.m.

I've never trusted fixed springs for waste gate actuation since I've seen variability. Instead I always throw the compressor (regulated) on there and watch for actuation at the right setting and adjust our manual boost controller until I get it dialed in, removes all the guesswork...

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/17/12 7:12 a.m.
Raze wrote: I've never trusted fixed springs for waste gate actuation since I've seen variability. Instead I always throw the compressor (regulated) on there and watch for actuation at the right setting and adjust our manual boost controller until I get it dialed in, removes all the guesswork...

More info? I'm not relying simply on the spring to regulate my boost, since i can't really find a 20psi spring, and stacking two relatively expensive TurboSmart springs doesn't really appeal to my wallet. (Way cheaper to get 20psi out of my home depot boost controller)

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
9/17/12 8:13 p.m.

I don't really know that much about turbos but to me it sounds like it is spooling longer not slower. The end result should be in the stop watch, as in acceleration time and not so much spooling time.

92CelicaHalfTrac
9/17/12 8:44 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: I don't really know that much about turbos but to me it sounds like it is spooling longer not slower. The end result should be in the stop watch, as in acceleration time and not so much spooling time.

I'm afraid i don't follow... I don't know what "spooling longer" means.

It's taking longer to hit max boost, so it's not hitting max boost until a higher RPM, which means a smaller powerband, and less "time" at max power.

It's slower.

I'm not real worried about it... i'm just going to pop the old spring back in and see what happens. The 10psi spring sucks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zrTE0ZYtGONRYHPvyewmwwkiCMUbD3UqMDkZSTuVkFaxDBW4i4qPnmJffkvBNQIy