SPG123
SPG123 HalfDork
10/20/24 11:37 a.m.

After many years of fox bodies and always wanting an SSP car, we finally located an 87 Mustang SSP coupe. Its a project....Getting it and getting it home was an adventure in itself.  Been sitting under a tree in Central Florida for "10" years ( I think more) But its mostly unmolested. And straight. My sons and I have done a bunch of the things that neglected old cars need. And now it runs and even drives reasonably well. As we continue to work the endless list of maintenance items, I find my self dreaming about what it will be.      It was black with the black 10 holes (probably LMR staggered 17s) and will be again. We have no experience in paint and body but are very slowly working our way through that. The interior will look stock but new. Which then brings about the thing that is taking the most space mentally.        It just cant be stock mechanically. Sorry. ive had them from stock to 450 at the wheels and stock wont work. But that was a long time ago. If it looks stock adjacent and is a black SSP coupe, It needs to have a proper 5.0 thump. A deeeeeeep all about the bass thump. Not going to be a race car. Its going to be FUN. I want to make tire smoke and noise and giggle. A lot.       This is NOT an unlimited budget build. So what would you do to a 5.0 that would make good sense?     306, 331, 347?  Afr heads, nice cam...        

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/20/24 4:02 p.m.

In reply to SPG123 :

Here is what has been done on my 90LX 5 speed.

H&R lowering sprongs, Stress away bars, Koni shocks, 5 leg conversion with 17" Bullet wheels, Cobra front brakes, short tube headers and cat back exhaust.

The only thing left is the chassis stiffners.

My goal is to get it around 300hp at the flywheel or thereaboits. I will be bolting on different heads, intake and possibly a mild cam.

While 400hp would be cool I want to keep the car done up like one would typically have been back in the day. The 80s driving experience is what I want. If I wanted to go faster a turbo Miata would be way better as well as cheaper in the long run.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SxR8KKBeY5lLSbvaqtjwvoM2BRDvcY4zMJ8zvkR5Gv75YBChAXbSOj6Sv43Q59vx