Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/5/24 1:24 p.m.

In reply to etifosi :

That's hilarious. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/5/24 1:36 p.m.

Earlier in this thread Vibe/Matrix was mentioned. My 2 cents is you should get the nicest manual Toyota/Honda you can and go have fun. Here's one my wife won't let me go see because I already have three cars besides my daily driver......Marketplace - 2010 Scion xD · Hatchback 4D | Facebook........or.......Marketplace - 2007 Honda Fit | Facebook

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/5/24 1:56 p.m.

Another Toyota product and a car I think of as the more modern replacement for a Celica, a Scion tC..........Marketplace - 2014 Scion tC · Hatchback Coupe 2D | Facebook......Product photo of 2014 Scion tC · Hatchback Coupe 2D

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
2/5/24 2:02 p.m.

If your heart is set on a modified EG, then go for it.  I'm sure you'll have fun in the build.  Just don't go nuts so that it's torture to drive and you lose your shirt selling it.  Yeah, you can get it to a Miata-ish feel but so can other cars. 

The Fit and Mazda are almost interchangeable, very similar.  

The Cobalt SS is a little squishy in stock form.  It's not a Lincoln barge but it's not an S2000 either.  That's why I said handling is good, not great.  I'd even call it very good, with potential to be great with some mods.  The ring record has a lot to do with its power for an economy car.  By the way, the HHR is essentially a Cobalt wagon.  Same chassis, powertrain, etc... just different skin.  I've driven it "in anger" and it's a hoot.  Add a Trifecta tune and hang on!! 

All generations of the 3 are great economy cars in my opinion.  Each one better than the last. 

2/5/24 2:03 p.m.

I also agree the TC is a good option. 

A random Fit I found in a quick search.  Appears to have a good service history

Honda Fit

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
2/5/24 5:06 p.m.

Yep, Scion TC is a good option. I believe they have the 2.4 and it is a nice motor. Had one in a Camry. It does have oil consumption issues like the K24 so you want one that has been well care for. Check the oil, ask about oil change intervals.

Every generation of Mazda 3 is a good option. So is the Matrix/Vibe. Sometimes you can find Vibe GTs for cheaper because they have a Pontiac badge. The 2zz does have some issues, I don't remember what off the top of my head, but I'd do some research if I were you.

You should probably just do everything SJKSS says. ;)

Re Honda Fit vs Mazda 2. I have driven both and like the 2 a bit more. It just feels a bit better somehow, steering, turn in, the way the suspension behaves. That said, I wouldn't be picky between the two, they are both good driver's cars and dog slow. Since you don't care about interior space, what is more important is which you can find either car that isn't rusty and has been well cared for. That's more important given the age and availability of both with manuals being what it is.

Never driven a Cobalt SS, so can't comment, but they used to be hot in autocross DS class. 

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/5/24 5:51 p.m.

Sorta test drove a fit again for the first time in a while. This one was stick and it was the first time I've driven a manual in a while. I promptly stalled it and got asked to not drive it and let my uncle drive. However, he coached me a bit in a parking lot later (though I never got out of first gear). The engine feels a little zippier than the ek civic. The inputs felt a lot more sensitive but also less numb than the 8th gen civic. Lower redline though lol. But I enjoyed it. Going back to properly drive it again tomorrow. I really likrd it. Felt a lot like the ek but almost better steering and inputs.  Then again the ek was auto. 

8th gen civic is the worst car I've driven so far, but then again I haven't driven a stock one. But I did not like the steering at all. I also definitely felt the size compared to the fit. 

Will report back after properly driving the fit. 

However, there was rust. This was the blue fit that got posted a bit ago. The passenger side rocker looks completely rusted out. Will post some pictures in a bit but it doesn't look great. 

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/5/24 5:54 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Are all generations of matrix xrs still 2zz. I'm definitely looking for the nicest car I can find/afford. 

Can't stand the xd, but that fit looks nice

Also can't stand the tc. It seems like the definition of a rice car. I hate the look and every tc I've seen has had terrible riced out mods. The Celica is ugly, the tc takes it to a new level. 

Rant over: I like Toyota and Honda, in seriously considering a Corolla xrs. I like civics, and the Acura tsx seems super cool. 

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/5/24 5:56 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I'm not set on it, but I did definitely like it. The again I also liked the fit I just drove. And the e46. I like a lot of cars lol. 

Drove a fit (described in another comment). I actually really liked it. Like a lot. How is it at the limit? 

The hhr ss is a cool car, especially in panel van guise. They're rare though. 

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/5/24 5:56 p.m.

Thanks!!

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/5/24 5:59 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

I hate hate hate the tc. Hate it.

Anyway

How does the 3 compare to the vibe/matrix?  Will definitely do research on issues. 

Lol I am doing my best to take his advice to heart over my emotional responses. 

Drove a fit, but only around a lot in first gear. I really liked it. Mazda2 is a comparatively rarer car around me, especially in stick. Seems like they're a bit more fun but a bit less fast and less practical. 

The cobalt ss is cool, but impossible to find a non trashed example. Found one that sold already. 

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/5/24 6:23 p.m.

Fit rust pics, pretty damn bad. The entire passenger rocker was rotted out until about the b pillar area:

2/5/24 6:42 p.m.

Oh damn, don't walk from that Fit.  Run.  Fast. That rust is bad, shop in the south. 

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/5/24 6:59 p.m.

Thanks! It looked bad but I wasn't sure. Gonna find a nice southern car and get parental approval. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/5/24 7:09 p.m.
Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
2/5/24 7:16 p.m.

Any reason the Sonic hadn't been discussed?  Seems to be in the same world as the Fit and the Mazda2.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/palatine-2013-chevy-sonic-rs-speed/7713870304.html

2/5/24 10:09 p.m.

I haven't tracked a Fit but I have friends who did, and I drove mine hard.  As has been said, it's gutless so you have to drive it hard all the time.  It's nimble and responsive, very engaging.  Grip fades away with the small stock wheels but it's entertaining all the way to the limits.  I have limited experience driving the 2, but from my impression and other owners input it really is similar to the Fit.  Maybe a tad more sporty.

It's hard to compare those two to a Celica or 3 series.  Apples and oranges.  

The Vibe/Matrix really are good.  Base cars are slow, but they are fun.  They are basically Corolla wagons. 

The GM SS twins are kinda like FWD economy muscle cars. 

One owner Cobalt SS

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/5/24 11:52 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Added to list. The x portion seems less desirable but it does seem like a good car!

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/5/24 11:52 p.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

Was suggested in the other thread. To me it seems inferior to the fit or mazda2 in the same class. 

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/5/24 11:56 p.m.

I liked the nimble and responsive nature of the one I drove. I kind of like the idea of a less powerful/gutless car because you can be driving at seven tenths or more and still be legal on the street. I like the 2 better styling wise etc and it seems slightly better but not enough to be a big deal. 

Fair enough, celica seems like a good compromise between the small, nimble, responsive nature of the two with the speed of a more powerful car, 

Are the vibe/matrix comparable to the mazda3? Is the XRS worth the premium (to me it looks like it is)

That cobalt has been added to the spreadsheet and shared with parents! Thank you!

Also, I found an immaculate 3 series. It's a bit older, but incredible condition:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/702933015287820/

Product photo of 1999 BMW 3 Series · 323i Sedan 4D

Product photo of 1999 BMW 3 Series · 323i Sedan 4DProduct photo of 1999 BMW 3 Series · 323i Sedan 4D

The amount of parental begging I am preparing for will be unrivaled in the history of humanity! 

mmcvay
mmcvay GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/6/24 12:55 a.m.

There should be a triangular subframe brace on that car. It should be bolted to the empty holes visible just behind the fcab mounts and then run forward to the subframe. BMW says not to even put cars on the ground without it installed. I hope they just took photos before putting it and the under tray back on because that car is incredibly clean.

2/6/24 7:20 a.m.

Depending where in Kennesaw, the BMW is about 20-30 minutes from me.  I'm only here today though.  After that I'm in Florida for the rest of the winter 

2/6/24 8:59 a.m.

So there is the whole concept of being more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.  That's discussed often here.  It's a matter of personal opinion, no right or wrong.  I used to be in the drive a slow car fast camp, but I am now firmly on the other side.  I don't find it entertaining to have to mercilessly whip on my car just to avoid being run over by Soccer Mom Sally in her Range Rover.  The whole debate is really centered around acceleration on the road and I'm a corners guy, and any car can corner quick on public roads.  So I'll take the fast car every time to save myself and the car from endless beatings.

Yes, the XRS or GT are significantly better than the base model cars.  I will say though that my younger son now has a manual transmission Matrix XR and it's pretty enjoyable. 

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/6/24 10:59 a.m.

Thank you! I'm not sure where, I haven't talked to the guy yet because I had work early this morning (still there, just went on break). I'm going to message him and ask about the car and where he is. 

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
2/6/24 10:59 a.m.

In reply to mmcvay :

Is this to stop the subframe cracking? I will ask him about it. 

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aWzf6pRaGJLkmLyf5hroBV3cN1TZp2QIiMuPM4Jx4HrI0IdIteYG8jtjUrVSmUkm