1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/16/08 9:12 a.m.

What do you need it to do Tim?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/16/08 9:20 a.m.

Complete integration across two publications, including events, blogs, clubs, online articles, tech tips and whatever else we dream up. And tie into the store, too.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/08 9:22 a.m.

I am so glad you guys like each other.

EastCoastMojo
5/16/08 9:23 a.m.

Wow.

Can it do darkside? :grin:

John Brown
5/16/08 9:25 a.m.

No but neither can these idiots:

CHICAGO SUN TIMES said:Welshman dressed as Darth Vader attacks Jedi church May 13, 2008Recommend (4) FROM ASSOCIATED PRESS HOLYHEAD, Wales — A man who dressed up as Darth Vader, wearing a garbage bag for a cape, and assaulted the founders of a group calling itself the Jedi church was given a suspended sentence Tuesday. Arwel Wynne Hughes, 27, attacked Jedi church founder Barney Jones — aka Master Jonba Hehol — with a metal crutch, hitting him on the head, prosecutors told Holyhead Magistrates’ Court. He also whacked Jones’ 18-year-old cousin, Michael Jones — known as Master Mormi Hehol — bruising his thigh in the March 25 incident, prosecutors said. The two cousins and Barney Jones’ brother, Daniel, set up the Church of Jediism, Anglesey order, last year. Jedi is the faith followed by some of the central characters in the ‘‘Star Wars’’ films. The group, which claims about 30 members, says on its Web site that it uses ‘‘insight and knowledge’’ from the films as ‘‘a guide to living a better and more worthwhile life.’’ ‘‘We all love the films and what they stand for. Obviously some people are going to laugh about it,’’ the Wales on Sunday newspaper quoted Barney Jones as saying last month. ‘‘But a lot of people do take it seriously.’’ Unfortunately for Hughes, his March attack was recorded on a video camera that the cousins had set up to film themselves in a light saber battle. ‘‘Darth Vader! Jedis!’’ Hughes shouted as he approached. Hughes claimed he couldn’t remember the incident, having drunk the better part of a 2 1/2-gallon (10-liter) box of wine beforehand. ‘‘He knows his behavior was wrong and didn’t want it to happen but he has no recollection of it,’’ said Hughes’ lawyer, Frances Jones. District Judge Andrew Shaw sentenced Hughes to two months in jail but suspended the sentence for one year. He also ordered Hughes to pay $195 to each of his victims and $117 in court costs. In the 2001 United Kingdom census, 390,000 — 0.7 percent of the population — listed Jedi as their religion.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/16/08 9:48 a.m.
John Brown wrote: I am so glad you guys like each other.

Me and Dave? I like Dave quite a bit. He's a good guy.

John Brown
5/16/08 9:50 a.m.

Yes and I agree. I say that because calling anyone else ChrisV (besides Chris) could easily start global thermonuclear war ;)

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/16/08 10:11 a.m.

I like Tim, even when he's being a weird IT, mac kinda non conformist. :nice:

Of course - I'm weird. I like ChrisV too.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/16/08 10:18 a.m.

Actually, I'm not much of an IT guy and rarely have much interest in the stuff they obsess over. My background's all in communications.... newspapers, radio, web... I skipped TV.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/16/08 11:21 a.m.

You too good for TV?

On a serious note - despite the above bitching, this looks like a much cleaner new board than the last new board that we had to punt on. Also looks cleaner than the last time I was at classic. I still don't love the change, but I do suspect it will go much more smoothly.

I do think a writeup on "why" would be productive. I think I understand a lot of why it's good for the magazine, but why is it good for the users?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/16/08 11:28 a.m.
You too good for TV?

Nah, too ugly.

Thanks for the kind words. We have been listening and there's a lot here that came about specifically because of requests.

And I think you're right about a write-up, and if I can drag my head out of code long enough I'll probably do just that. Short version:

Integration: All parts of the site are now integrated. One login lets you use the board, post comments, tech tips, show up on the map and do everything else around here... and the Classic site too.

Events: Much better events section, and much better handling of special events like the Challenge.

Cars: Much better handling of project cars and new car reviews. Looks better, works better, and can do more. We can even upload dyno runs and chart them out on the site -- take a look at the 240z project on Classic, it's got one.

And because we can match the users up with everything else on the site, it opens the door for other cool stuff which I probably shouldn't talk about yet.

John Brown
5/16/08 11:52 a.m.

Like tazing post whores!

EastCoastMojo
5/16/08 11:59 a.m.

Don't taze me bro! :grin:

Crash
Crash Dork
5/16/08 2:30 p.m.

When I click on "Your Posts" and then click on one of my posts, it always takes me to the last page, not to the post I clicked on. Issue on my end or yours?

well, here we go with the edits again....

EDIT: It worked correctly for this posted after I posted it, but any posts from yesterday (page 4) still take me to the top of the last page today (page 6).

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/16/08 2:32 p.m.

Mine. Not sure what to do about it, as the posts don't exactly know what page they're on -- it could change depending on how many posts are on a page. Let me think about that one...

Edit... hot diggity, figured it out.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Member
5/19/08 11:07 a.m.

The new site looks terrific!

Chris_V
Chris_V None
5/19/08 11:14 a.m.

Hmm. Tried to quote twice and it wouldn't let me.

John Brown
5/19/08 11:59 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: Hmm. Tried to quote twice and it wouldn't let me.

Works here.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/19/08 12:01 p.m.

I had fixed one thing and broke quoting. It's OK now.

Chris_V
Chris_V New Reader
5/19/08 12:16 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: I had fixed one thing and broke quoting. It's OK now.

Don't you just love tracking these little things down?

Good job so far!

Luke
Luke HalfDork
5/20/08 7:02 a.m.

Woa, when did this take place?

I like the new layout, but it's gonna take some getting used to.

Jack
Jack New Reader
5/21/08 9:42 a.m.

Awesome job Tim!

I've maintained sites before, so I know what is involved. Both you and the guy that takes care of our ski patrol website blow everyone else out of the water on speed and accurate resolution of issues.

Keep up the great work,

Jack Edit,

FYI:

1. When I edit a post and have already existing text that I highlight and then click the italics button, it deletes the text and installs the italics hypertext. I don't believe the highlighted text should disappear when selecting italics.

2. everything after the word edit, should be italicized. It is in the preview, but not in the post.

3. Low priority - My profile indicates Superdork, but my posts indicate New Reader

Stuc
Stuc None
5/21/08 11:31 a.m.

Tim: First off, thanks for the quick update of my post count! One PM and I check back in 20 minutes and it's already done!

2nd... it's a huge change... I pretty much like it though. I think once I get used to it I won't miss the old one at all (as long as everyone is still here!) =]

edit It let me vote myself up. I was just checking it out... but now I feel dirty!

Also, I didn't see a place for signatures in the profile editing... I'm going to keep searching though.

16vCorey
16vCorey Reader
5/21/08 11:45 a.m.

One weird issue I just noticed. I checked my profile and it listed my post count as 114. Now I've only posted on the new board a few times and had somewhere between 1500-2000 posts on the old one, so where did it get such a weird arbitrary number for my post count? I don't really care, I just found it odd.

scooterfrog
scooterfrog None
5/21/08 2:39 p.m.

not sure i like the new format

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZKyloNKkxGEM9yGdAIenA6pxBq2hT1ZZYANWQLbK91Nr14Am6ETwHUeJY3QkYrHD