1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/21/14 9:53 a.m.

I put down a deposit on a black 2015 BRZ Limited.

It should be here in 3-4 weeks, than the NC will be traded in, and I'll start modding the car with an eye toward STX and the occasional track day.

Now I've just got to figure out which companies are legit in the aftermarket for the BRZ since I've spent the last 6-7 years playing with BMWs and Miatas.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/21/14 9:59 a.m.

Congratulations! Fantastic cars. Out of curiosity, what made you go with the BRZ instead of the FR-S?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/21/14 10:14 a.m.

I liked the Interior of the Limited BRZ better than either the premium or FR-S.

I remember reading GRM's review that the BRZ is plows more with the stock setup, but that won't last long. I'm currently researching what setups the guys are using in STX.

I won't be doing a full out STX build, but one that will at least leave me legal in the class.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/21/14 10:16 a.m.

Congrats! Those are the only new car that really intrigues me.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/21/14 10:23 a.m.

Gotcha--- makes sense to go with the nicer interior--- especially if you'll be modifying the suspension set-up. I'm a big fan of the twins--- and a bit envious! Post pics when you can--- I'm curious about the "Limited" differences.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/21/14 10:28 a.m.

Awesome!

First mod... wider wheels + tires.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/21/14 10:29 a.m.

Basically the limited adds:

• Alcantara seat inserts with leather bolsters All-Weather Package (dual-mode heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors)
  • Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors
  • Dual-zone automatic climate control system
  • Fog lights
  • Front door courtesy lights
  • Keyless Access and Start with illuminated engine start/stop button
  • Rear trunk spoiler (body color)
  • Security system
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/14 10:33 a.m.

I wish that you could buy a limited without the awful rear spoiler. I went through the same thing with my WRX. In order to get the heated seats and sunroof, I had to take the spoiler. I even tried to deal directly with a contact within Subaru, but they couldn't make it happen. Subaru makes some of the ugliest OEM rear spoilers on the market.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
10/21/14 10:35 a.m.

Awesome! I considered one and went on a test drive, but ultimately went AP2 S2000. I've been wanting to scratch the vert itch for a long time though. If they put the WRX motor in I don't think I'll be able to resist. Do a build thread!

cmcgregor
cmcgregor New Reader
10/21/14 10:36 a.m.

Lots of people are up to trunk swap though, which is fairly easy if you're ok with the number on the panel not matching the rest of your car.

Congrats!

Get yourself a full exhaust and a tune - the cheapest way to get some more powah out of that thing.

Woody
10/21/14 10:38 a.m.

In reply to cmcgregor:

I don't want aftermarket paint on my brand new car.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/14 10:44 a.m.

could always buy another trunk from the dealer in the same colour and leave the original in the attic until you go to sell?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/21/14 10:49 a.m.
turtl631 wrote: Awesome! I considered one and went on a test drive, but ultimately went AP2 S2000. I've been wanting to scratch the vert itch for a long time though. If they put the WRX motor in I don't think I'll be able to resist. Do a build thread!

See, and I'm over having a 'vert for a DD. If it was a 2nd car, it would be a no brainer. But I'm not in the mood to have two cars anymore for a while.

So the BRZ is going to become the do-it-all car. DD with the occasional Auto-X/HPDE thrown-in.

Woody wrote: I wish that you could buy a limited without the awful rear spoiler. I went through the same thing with my WRX. In order to get the heated seats and sunroof, I had to take the spoiler. I even tried to deal directly with a contact within Subaru, but they couldn't make it happen. Subaru makes some of the ugliest OEM rear spoilers on the market.

I guess it's my inner ricer (about to turn 33), but I like the way the spoiler looks. Now the one on the new STi? No, thank you.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Awesome! First mod... wider wheels + tires.

That's definitely up there, although the first mod will likely be a tune since I already have the Open Flash Tablet. All I have to do is load the stock tune back onto the NC, than the OFT is "unlocked" so I can use it to tune the BRZ. Apparently the tune helps big time even stock and with a header can eliminate a big chunk of the low rpm torque dip.

Woody
10/21/14 10:49 a.m.

Don't make it a pain in the ass for me to buy one of your cars. Just sell me the damned car without a spoiler.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor New Reader
10/21/14 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

And you don't need it - just find someone that bought one in the same color without a wing that wants to trade. There are threads for this purpose in all the enthusiast sites I used when I had mine.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/21/14 10:57 a.m.

I really like these cars. I drove a friend's on the Prius tires at autocross and it was still pretty fun.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
10/21/14 10:58 a.m.

If I owned one of those I'm not sure I'd be able to resist writing a cheque for the rear mount turbo kit.....

Post pics when the car shows up.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
10/21/14 1:51 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Now I've just got to figure out which companies are legit in the aftermarket for the BRZ since I've spent the last 6-7 years playing with BMWs and Miatas.

simple research should work for you.... you might want to begin here.... ft86club.com/

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/21/14 1:58 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
z31maniac wrote: Now I've just got to figure out which companies are legit in the aftermarket for the BRZ since I've spent the last 6-7 years playing with BMWs and Miatas.
simple research should work for you.... you might want to begin here.... ft86club.com/

Trust me, I've been reading that forum like crazy for a few months.

It doesn't mean I trust the opinions of broke-baggy pants kids who've only ever had cars with Rota wheels and Raceland coilovers.

And there are a TON of options compared to the two aforementioned cars. There are literally 12+ companies that make just headers for the car, then do you want UEL or EL, etc. I'm really just amazed by how many options there are.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/14 2:01 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: It doesn't mean I trust the opinions of broke-baggy pants kids who've only ever had cars with Rota wheels and Raceland coilovers.

They may be baggy pants riceboys, but if they own a Toyobaru they're sure as hell not broke!

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/21/14 2:21 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
z31maniac wrote: It doesn't mean I trust the opinions of broke-baggy pants kids who've only ever had cars with Rota wheels and Raceland coilovers.
They may be baggy pants riceboys, but if they own a Toyobaru they're sure as hell not broke!

Because you buy something doesn't mean you can really afford it.

That's why I decided against waiting and getting a '15 GT Mustang or an STi/EVO. I could afford the running costs and such but I just don't want too.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor New Reader
10/21/14 2:34 p.m.

There's some pretty good info in the race/autocross section of ft86club. The rest of it I could take or leave.

It is amazing how quickly companies sprang up to make stuff for the twins. Hopefully that translates into a long lifetime of aftermarket support, so I can buy another one in a few years when they're cheap.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor New Reader
10/21/14 2:35 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Because you buy something doesn't mean you can really afford it. That's why I decided against waiting and getting a '15 GT Mustang or an STi/EVO. I could afford the running costs and such but I just don't want too.

+1 to that. Lots of people on there who are still living with their parents and have a fully built turbo car....

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
10/21/14 2:38 p.m.

Vorshlag has some parts already...

and a ls swap in the works...

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/21/14 5:01 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:

I feel old when I go to that board. Whatever you do, do not ever say anything the is less than flattering to the Marque!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PLWWgdnL09sO61WPKW8Yre34X7mOa3HMq9z2RaMry41yY5anWQiygTIVPeAlpf8j