1 2 3
petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/10 7:13 p.m.

The looming snow of winter once again has me longing for something with AWD or 4WD for my 100-mile commute. Needless to say, that makes MPG a top priority.

No, I'm not seriously shopping(yet), and with decent tires on the Fit, as well as my old pickup, we should be able to make it through in most situations.

BTW - bonus points for anything with a manual transmission and available in the US within the last 5-years or so.

My guess would be:

1.) Suzuki SX4 2.) Vibe/Matrix(manual & AWD mutually-exclusive, though) 3.) 2.5 RS ???

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce New Reader
10/29/10 7:14 p.m.

Quattro

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/29/10 7:19 p.m.

I grew up in Syracuse NY. Nearly the snowiest place in upstate NY. 192" of snow. Did it in two cars, a Camaro and a 1/2 ton, longbed 2wd pickup. You don't need 4wd, you need excellent snow tires. My commute was 100 miles round trip as well. Left before the snowplows got out and everything.

triumph5
triumph5 HalfDork
10/29/10 7:20 p.m.

Juke.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/10 7:41 p.m.

The Aerio came in AWD as well, though I think the current SX4 is a much better car.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/10 7:48 p.m.

I have a 2004 WRX with 124k miles that I bought new. It has gotten 23.5 mpg on every tank. It's driven hard, all the time.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/29/10 8:12 p.m.

One of my customers has an '08 Legacy, base model automatic. He regularly returns 32mpg.

I was a bit shocked at that.

Just sayin', of course, but my '89 Golf would regularly get 40mpg in the summer (translate to winter how you will) and the way it conquered snow with little more than Blizzaks kept me giggling all winter long. The only trick is, if the snow is rutted, if you want to maintain over 70mph you need to hold a little left foot brake to keep the back end from bouncing into the next lane.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/29/10 8:13 p.m.
Woody wrote: I have a 2004 WRX with 124k miles that I bought new. It has gotten 23.5 mpg on *every* tank. It's driven hard, all the time.

My 03 with cobb stage 2 setup gets 27-28mpg on the highway at 80mph.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
10/30/10 7:06 a.m.

I wouldn't wish a Subaru on anybody, but I think you need to consider one. A better choice would be something Audi quattro.

Knurled
10/30/10 7:14 a.m.

Subarus are cars for people who want to drive a car, Audis are cars for people who like working on cars.

I can't say that I'd ever put "Audi" and "good fuel economy" in the same sentence, either. 5000 turbo quattros are supposed to get high 20s on the highway, though.

I also wouldn't say that they handle well in the snow, at least my B2 car doesn't. It's barely adequate. Too much mass, and the diffs are weird.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
10/30/10 9:02 a.m.

Just put four snow tires on your car. Amazing what you can do.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce New Reader
10/30/10 9:19 a.m.

Subaru Justy

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/30/10 9:19 a.m.

Wifey's '05 E46 325XiT Wagon gets 24 city, 27 regular highway... I've got as high as 30 on longer trips where I'm not so eager to hammer thru traffic.

Its a bag of awesome in the snow and really agile and tossable the rest of the time. It is a 2.5L so... you won't be blacking out from the acceleration but it is plenty to have fun with.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
10/30/10 9:35 a.m.

Older personal preference: Honda Civic Wagon

Newer: Just read some reviews of the '03-'06 AWD Pontiac Vibe, only available with an auto.

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
10/30/10 9:46 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Subarus are cars for people who want to drive a car, Audis are cars for people who like working on cars. I can't say that I'd ever put "Audi" and "good fuel economy" in the same sentence, either. 5000 turbo quattros are supposed to get high 20s on the highway, though. I also wouldn't say that they handle well in the snow, at least my B2 car doesn't. It's barely adequate. Too much mass, and the diffs are weird.

I disagree compleeeeetely. My 2800lb B2 (86 4000S quattro) is the best car I have ever driven in the snow. Tim O'Neil used them (maybe still does) as his AWD school cars, and so does the Mecaglisse school in Quebec. The diffs are manually lockable so you can tailor your setup to the conditions. They're a bit old now, though, and finding a non-rusty one is tough. VW Quantum Syncro Wagon has the same underpinnings.

If you can find one of either of those car in rust-free(ish) condition, jump on it!

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
10/30/10 9:47 a.m.

In reply to bradyzq:

And they're cheeaap, in the inexpensive to buy and own way.

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango New Reader
10/30/10 10:00 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Just put four snow tires on your car. Amazing what you can do.

Snow tires and ABS. (and a little ground clearance.)

too many colorado winters. . . . .

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/30/10 10:11 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: I wouldn't wish a Subaru on anybody, but I think you need to consider one. A better choice would be something Audi quattro.

And I wouldn't wish an Audi on anyone. A better choice would be something Subaru.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
10/30/10 10:32 a.m.
Knurled wrote: One of my customers has an '08 Legacy, base model automatic. He regularly returns 32mpg. I was a bit shocked at that.

The current model legacy with the CVT gets 4mpg better than that!

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/30/10 12:02 p.m.

My 05 NA Legacy gets about 29 mpg on a 100 mile commute involving stop and go. I can hit 31-32 on a long ride.

And I have to slightly disagree with the concept of snow tires are just as good as awd. I grew up with snow and rwd and the subie is worlds ahead. Every try to pull out of a tight parking spot in snow? Rock and roll for 20 minutes with rwd/fwd or just turn the wheel and drive away with awd. I just put snow tires on my car so I am hoping for the best of both worlds during ski season.

Teqnyck
Teqnyck New Reader
10/30/10 12:31 p.m.

Obviously the answer is my 90 Mazda Protege AWD! 32mpg and a five speed.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce New Reader
10/30/10 12:58 p.m.

Obviously the answer is my 96 GMC Sonoma 2WD! 23mpg and a four speed.

Knurled
10/30/10 1:41 p.m.
bradyzq wrote:
Knurled wrote: Subarus are cars for people who want to drive a car, Audis are cars for people who like working on cars. I can't say that I'd ever put "Audi" and "good fuel economy" in the same sentence, either. 5000 turbo quattros are supposed to get high 20s on the highway, though. I also wouldn't say that they handle well in the snow, at least my B2 car doesn't. It's barely adequate. Too much mass, and the diffs are weird.
I disagree compleeeeetely. My 2800lb B2 (86 4000S quattro) is the best car I have ever driven in the snow. Tim O'Neil used them (maybe still does) as his AWD school cars, and so does the Mecaglisse school in Quebec. The diffs are manually lockable so you can tailor your setup to the conditions. They're a bit old now, though, and finding a non-rusty one is tough. VW Quantum Syncro Wagon has the same underpinnings.

The QSW does NOT have the same underpinnings. The brakes are different, the rear suspension is completely different (swingarms vs. struts), the rear differential is a different housing (the only thing that will fit is QSW), rear shocks are essentially not available anywhere...

I'm taking a break from doing the wheel bearings and tie rods on my QSW right now.

The transaxle and the engine are the same as the 4000. The front strut housings are also the same, as are the main front suspension components. But even the tie-rods are QSW-specific, and there is basically no interchange for all of the little body and trim parts that you need on a 25 year old car. Audi 4000 and VW Fox parts are both just a little bit off.

Again, it's okay, but my FWD Golf was a much better winter car...

procainestart
procainestart Dork
10/30/10 1:49 p.m.

Another vote for 2WD + good snow tires. I grew up in New England, lived at a ski area for a couple winters, continue to spend tons of time in the mountains, and did the winter Alcan 5000 (map) in a 2WD car.

The only problem I've had is when, in the PNW, when the mountain passes get really gnarly, even though I'm on good, studded snows, the State Patrol makes me stop to put chains on.

Search here for "Altimax Arctic" -- inexpensive snow tires that are nearly as good as the top-of-the-line stuff coming out of Scandinavia.

EvanR
EvanR New Reader
10/30/10 2:38 p.m.

Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A9WgydhYWVMNkjW0fwqXLAWHntoqvYwyThankOx2kZcUjtC2G0jvpPbiSkUY5hRE