FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
11/8/17 10:04 a.m.

04-06 Pontiac GTO.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/14/18 12:20 a.m.
nderwater said:

What I really wanted was a Jaguar XKR, but I just test-drove one and the rear seats do not fit actual human beings over the age of 8 or carseats of any kind.

Funny how we buy cars with our hearts, not our heads.  Pix coming soon.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
1/14/18 3:07 a.m.
McTinkerson said:

I'm 6'2" (32" inseam)and fit in the back seat of my RX-8 with the seat in the position of myself driving. Would I want to be back there for more than two hours, not really but an hour at a time is comfortable enough.

Yup , I agree . I am 6'0" and had no problems putting 4 adults In the car and driving an hour or 2. It is truly a wonderful car, I miss mine.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/14/18 9:34 a.m.

I've put 2 adults in the rear of my 996. They were short women. It was just ok. Not something i would make a habit of, and as mentioned any form of car seat is a total non starter. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/14/18 10:05 a.m.

I have a vision of a Kirkey race seat scalded-down to fit a preschooler with slots cut to accept a 5-point belt setup taken from an off-the shelf child seat and padded with a thick foam workout mat.  Something that could be latch-bolted into the back seat of a GT car and only consume a fraction of the available space that a booster or carseat would. 

In fact, it looks like Kirkey already sells mini-cup race seats for kids. It souldn't take a lot of work to adapt one...

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/14/18 11:04 a.m.

My ZX2SR was surprisingly roomy in the back.

I wonder what happened to that room in subsequent models.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/20/18 6:20 p.m.

In the end I found a nice XK 5.0 coupe.  I couldn't pass up the price on this car, and the extra $10K for a nearly identical XKR seemed like a lot to pay for a supercharger.  We'll see how well a Jaaaaag GT stands up to daily driving and taxiing kids.

rezisehtnys
rezisehtnys New Reader
1/20/18 7:49 p.m.

Nice buy!  Recaro makes a variety of car seats for kids, might check them out: http://us.recaro-cs.com/car-seats

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/20/18 8:03 p.m.

With four kids our family has had at least half a dozen Recaro seats over the years. Good seats, but even their slimmest booster moves a kid several inches forward and higher than if they were sitting right in the original seat.  The smaller the stock seat of your 2+2, the more critical those inches are!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/18 10:39 p.m.
nderwater said:

In the end I found a nice XK 5.0 coupe.  I couldn't pass up the price on this car, and the extra $10K for a nearly identical XKR seemed like a lot to pay for a supercharger.  We'll see how well a Jaaaaag GT stands up to daily driving and taxiing kids.

Wow that's sweet. I'm so glad there's no front license plate to berkeley it up. Gorgeous cars. I'd like to hear your impressions after dd'ing it a bit. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/18 10:44 p.m.

Also, if the exhaust has the center muffler after the cats then four resonators after that; get the center muffler deleted and add an x pipe there. The sound becomes glorious and elegant when you step on it but absolutely no drone. 

front (= - = =) rear of car

Turn that "-" into x pipe. 

(= x = =)

Leave everything else, unless you're frisky with your kitty!

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/21/18 1:15 a.m.

So....just trying to wrap my head around this...

Uhhh...2+2....backseat passengers...

Wait...must be an error...reset....nope....someone wants a two-person-car plus an occasional surplus to carry humans in the rear seats for real distance?  I thought 2+2 meant 2 real people plus a couple useless berkeleys for a short distance...but...

As an FR-S owner, if your post convinces anyone that my backseat is useable by real people and my insurance goes up as a result, I'll know who to blame...wink

Also...in for that golden bullet, just in case you find it...

Erich
Erich UltraDork
1/21/18 6:28 a.m.

Nice buy. Very curious to see how it does with kids. If your kids are all booster seat age and up you might want to check out the Mifold booster - I have no experience with it personally but there seems to be no reason it wouldn't work just as well as a traditional booster. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/21/18 6:53 a.m.

Nice!  It'll be interesting to read about your late-model Jag experience.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who has lusted for one, but in fear.

I have also been in the back of a BRZ/FRS.  Not a bad place to sit, but it does depend on the size of the person in the seat ahead.  The owner is 6' 2" and there was no way my 5' 10" frame would fit in the seat behind him.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/21/18 7:00 p.m.

My preferred seating positing has the driver's seat as low as possible. However, if I sacrifice and raise it all the way a gap opens for a rear passenger's feet to fit underneath.  I'm a small guy and can (just) fit into the rear seat if the front seat is adjusted seat for me that way... but in the back I have to bend my neck and tilt my head way over because there's not enough room to sit upright.  I'd guess that the max size for a rear passenger is a large youth or petite adult of up to about 5' 2".

In reply to Erich :

Thanks for reminding me, we happen to have a pair of those MiFold 'seats' in the garage. They're much trickier for kids to use then they seem in the demo videos, but may absolutely be useful in this car.

YPinol
YPinol
7/25/20 2:41 p.m.

The maserati Grancabrio fits two adults in the back. Legroom is ok, headroom is border line for tall ones. I am not sure about the Granturismo

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/25/20 3:27 p.m.
81cpcamaro said:

The Camaro rear seats are pretty good to sit in, getting in and out of them, well that's the not so good part. Headroom is decent, not sure how well taller people fit though.

When I was looking at Camaros I got in the back seat of one. At 6' tall I couldn't sit up straight, my head was smashed against the roof. I think my wife at 5'6 would have just barely made it. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9eXv3uz8wlPnx4TP9VnnM095qxdtkyrfWm7Ie5r4G1pfzuUyLRgtdY9ZuWo1tq1Z