1 2 3
darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/22/11 8:52 p.m.

So the hand-me-down, daily driver '02 Impala LS is starting need stuff done to it more and more often. I'd be tempted to actually put in the money and work to bring it up to snuff, but it would take a $1000 or more and I'd be stuck with a car I hate and gets crappy gas mileage. So we're looking for a new car. The "new" requirement is my wife's, but I kinda agree for a variety of reasons (including that it will make her happy... and silent). So here's what were looking for:

• new
  • good mileage 28mpg + combined
  • real useable room for two kids in the back seat
  • under $18k (street price)
  • GRM/driver friendly hopefully (i.e. have auto-x potential)
  • not a total berkeleying bore at a minimum

Whatcha think?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/22/11 8:55 p.m.

New Foci seem pretty nice. I like my 08 Focus (got it brand new for 12,400), and the new ones are sportier. Don't know about the prices on the 2012.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/11 8:58 p.m.

In reply to darkbuddha: Mazda. If you want room, a stripped Mazda5 might be within your negotiating powers. If you want less room and more fun, a Mazda3 4-door.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
9/22/11 8:59 p.m.

Miata

What! You know someone was going to say it.
Didn't say if it had to have a back seat or room.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/22/11 9:06 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: Miata What! You know someone was going to say it. Didn't say if it had to have a back seat or room.

It has a trunk. The kids can go in there right.

What about a Fiat 500?

familytruckster
familytruckster New Reader
9/22/11 9:06 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: Miata What! You know someone was going to say it. Didn't say if it had to have a back seat or room.

Actually, that was the third requirement...

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
9/22/11 9:07 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

darkbuddha wrote: - real useable room for two kids in the back seat

In reply to darkbuddha:

I'm sure aussiesmg will chime in about his Hyundai Elantra soon. He loves it. Aside from that, +1 to the new Focus, Mazda3, and Mazda5.

If possible, see if you can wait a little longer til the SkyActiv Mazda3s hit the market. They should be available by the end of this year. I was going to suggest the Cruze but there's probably good reason it's nicknamed the "Snuze..."

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/22/11 9:08 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: What about a Fiat 500?

I haven't ruled it out, but the back seat is gonna be tight for the kiddos, and it's just gonna get worse the older they get.

Keep it coming.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/11 9:14 p.m.

Fit. Really nice, unbelievably practical, and suprisingly fun.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/22/11 9:16 p.m.

BTW, we don't need anything with a bunch of cargo room... we still have our '07 Honda Odyssey for that. What we want is something a bunch more efficient, a ton more fun to drive, and something more reasonable to get around town in. Besides, do you know how lame it is when it's just the missus and me out for a night and we gotta hop in the f'ing minivan. I was hoping we could hold out for a Focus ST later next year, but now a Veloster is starting to look mighty attractive.

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
9/22/11 9:22 p.m.

Fiesta? Elantra?

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/22/11 9:29 p.m.

I really, REALLY have to suggest a certified preowned vehicle for the simple fact that you will get a longer warranty (as long as the miles are right) and wont take such a depreciation hit AND the price is more negotiable. Plus you can open yourself up to the next tier of cars which always yields more performance right? (uh, sorry, I used to sell cars. Im getting carried away.) Im not kidding though.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/11 9:35 p.m.
gunner wrote: I really, REALLY have to suggest a certified preowned vehicle for the simple fact that you will get a longer warranty (as long as the miles are right) and wont take such a depreciation hit AND the price is more negotiable. Plus you can open yourself up to the next tier of cars which always yields more performance right? (uh, sorry, I used to sell cars. Im getting carried away.) Im not kidding though.

I was so on the fence about this that I posted a link and then deleted my post. Used cars seem really expensive right now.

OTOH, I've found a 2010 Mazda6 manual and a 2010 Civic SI Coupe with 4000 miles on it, each around $20k asking price. You may or may not be able to bridge that gap.

I totally get the appeal of a new car, but I'm getting burned out on the depreciation.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
9/23/11 6:00 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote: I was hoping we could hold out for a Focus ST later next year...

I got tired of waiting for Focus ST, and now I've heard that they're gonna start at around $27k, which is more than the sub-$18k ceiling you've imposed.

Speaking of Focus ST, that is stupid money for what is basically at GTI that won't break. GTI's are like, what, $23K at the dealer?

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
9/23/11 6:18 a.m.

Mazda2 or Mazda3.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
9/23/11 6:33 a.m.

Mazda3

Mazda2

Honda Fit (you'd be shocked how roomy it is inside)

Kia Soul??

RossD
RossD SuperDork
9/23/11 7:07 a.m.

What ever you do don't look at a base Fiesta and then start adding up some of the performance parts prices to reach your spending limit:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/search.asp?q=fiesta

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
9/23/11 8:04 a.m.

Second the Honda Fit.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
9/23/11 8:06 a.m.

Fusion ? Not sure about the price limit. My Fiesta is great. SE sedan with automatic, msrp $17950. A/T is $1070. so you could knock that off ith the 5spd.
It is no way a performance car but a ball to drive. One year, 16k miles. No problems. Outstanding gas mileage.

Sounds like a commercial.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
9/23/11 8:22 a.m.

I like my 2010 Fusion Company car. Not sure if you can find one in your price range though.

4cyl, auto. I can breach 30 mpg on the highway (75-85mph here in FL). Solid mid to upper 20's around town. I can't think of a better appliance. It handles well for what it is. 40,000 miles with no problems to speak of yet.

Aussie is claiming roughly 40mpg out of his manual trans Elantra and if I recall he came in under 20k on it.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
9/23/11 8:30 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: What about a Fiat 500?
I haven't ruled it out, but the back seat is gonna be tight for the kiddos, and it's just gonna get worse the older they get. Keep it coming.

Honda Fit or Mazda2?

Not fast, but both potentially fun. Also, pretty darn cheap for a new car. Give fast cars fits in the twisty bits.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/23/11 8:39 a.m.

I absolutely love our Fit. Mama rides in the back (behind me) with baby comfortably. Rear seats recline slightly too. I have to work extremely hard to get less than 30 mpg. 35 requires a little hypermiling. 33 with cruise set at 75mph on my hilly 80 mile commute. Extremely tossable and responsive. The 'magic seat' has been really useful for business too. I delivered a 45 x 45" painting to a customer a couple weeks ago. She couldn't believe it.

All that said, I am kicking myself for not driving a mazda5. Similar mpg with a lot more room...though I HATE the new body style.

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/23/11 9:38 a.m.

Either the Focus or the Fiesta would be good choices,(though the Focus is getting dangerously close to the end of your price range) and support from the aftermarket, just in case you get bored

nderwater
nderwater Dork
9/23/11 9:48 a.m.

Please don't consider the Fiat 500 - the back seat is about as useful as the back seat of a Porsche 911 and it has about as much cargo space. A MINI would be better, but I can't recommend one for a family with kids. My vote is for the Fit, but the Focus and Mazda are terrific alternatives.

I put a thousand miles on a new Focus back in July and was pretty impressed - it's a massive improvement over the previous generation models.

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
9/23/11 10:06 a.m.

Hyundai Veloster?

Seems to fit the criteria, although seems no one really knows how it drives. Reviews seem to vary from decently fun, to fat lumbering pig (the last one coming from C&D for it not being a 80's CRX si, huh?)

The goofy 3rd door in the back seems very kid friendly is you can handle the asymetry.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7DB9zt7wCC66TVFcLvDH8TsEFm4WLKWYD5HWomrDg4lHmfDG9LZanS1OeHC1PF0T