1 2
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
3/12/15 7:45 p.m.

Now that we have two kids, it's nearly impossible to fit the whole family in my '97 BMW 328 convertible. My wife's Camry usually does family hauling duties, but it would be nice if my next car also had that capability. But I don't want a completely boring, practical sedan - I'd like to get something that's still fun to drive. Here's my list of requirements.

• Budget is $8000.
  • Needs plenty of back seat room: I'm 6'2", my wife is fairly tall too, so we'll want something that can still work without having to shove the seats far forward.
  • Accommodating a rear facing child seat is not required as we've made it about halfway through that one already, but it could be a plus.
  • Reliability needs to be at least comparable to what I have now.
  • Gas mileage is not a major concern now that I've moved closer to work. 20 mpg is OK.
  • I really want a stick shift. Would only consider an automatic if the car was not available any other way and the car otherwise seems to be a perfect fit (e.g. if I could convince myself it would be reliable, a Buick Grand National would be a car where I could overlook the slushbox...)
  • Fun to drive, although I don't need something that's able to win an autocross or any serious competition.
  • I'd consider some minor bolt ons like better springs or shocks to improve drivability, but for this one, I draw the line at anything that requires an engine or transmission swap, even if it's close to bolt in.
  • Spending time waiting for a unicorn factory combination to pop up, though, is fine. I'm not in a hurry.

And... GO!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/12/15 7:50 p.m.

P71, P71!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/12/15 7:52 p.m.

If GRM-lore repeats itself, the answer will be Porsche 911 turbo

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork

First gen CTS-V.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director

RX-8? Buick Roadmaster? 540i?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/12/15 7:53 p.m.

The weird mini-mini van Civic Si.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/15 7:54 p.m.

E36 or E46 with 4 doors?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/15 8:14 p.m.

80's MonteCarlo SS. You like the Grand National right? Same car (sort of). 305HO isn't the fastest, but is only a quick cam swap and carb adjust away from 200hp and lots of torque. 3.73 gears and LSD are standard. Handling isn't bad for a speedboat and suspension bits are cheap and easy to install.

Sorry, no manuals but T5 5speed swaps are well documeted and can be done in a weekend. Very minor fab work, hole in the floor and extra tabs welded onto a set of 3rd gen Camaro pedals. Use the Camaro bellhousing, clutch hydralics, etc.

Whats more reliable than a 4bbl carb and pushrods? You'll get 20mpg easy on the Hwy.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/12/15 8:25 p.m.

Manual trans diesel C4 wagon with an F2T swap running on veggie oil.

(wait... MSM has been very gracious, patient, and helpful with me lately regarding a purchase. MUST... REDUCE... SNARK)

You make a tall order. Roomy rear seat and manual trans is hard to come by on this continent. My go-to would be Audi A6/S6 with a timing belt 4.2V8, but then that's the devil I know. Others fear the four rings and the arcane rituals required for DIYing them. I personally would own a twin turbo model (2.7 or 4.2) but I would not recommend them to anyone else, because while I may be a glutton for punishment, I am not an a-hole.

Well, not much of one.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/12/15 8:31 p.m.

4.0L XJ 2WD T5 awd manual V50 Bugeye wagon Saab 9X2 ZHP

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/12/15 8:32 p.m.

Subaru legacy 2.5 gt spec b.

Wagon if you can.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
3/12/15 9:21 p.m.

GTO

Forester XT

92dxman
92dxman Dork
3/12/15 9:50 p.m.

This sounds like a job for a Mazda 5. Stick shift. Check. Plenty of room. Check. Suspension parts available. Check. Within your price range. Oh yes. /thread.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
3/12/15 10:01 p.m.

Pontiac G8, audi S6/S8, bmw e39 m5/540

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/12/15 10:11 p.m.

05(?) Legacy GT Wagon with 5MT. Plenty of go, easy handling upgrades, easy power upgrades, lots of room for kid gear, and the best looking Subaru of the 2000s. Looks better than the sedan. Should be in your price range.

Shellemonster
Shellemonster New Reader
3/12/15 10:13 p.m.

There was an article made just for you today...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/features/a25248/the-comparison-2003-bmw-m5-versus-2015-chevrolet-ss/

Your budget should cover the M5, and they really are surprisingly nice to be in despite how old they are now.

Ambitious_But_Rubbish
Ambitious_But_Rubbish New Reader
3/12/15 10:20 p.m.

Legacy 2.5GT would be a solid choice. Finding a nice one in budget might be a little snug, at least a newer one, anyway.

A friend of mine is 6'4" and has a bugeye WRX and seems to have no problem competing with a child car seat for space.

Perhaps a Volvo 850R?

5-series would work well, until it gets longer in the tooth, then ze Germans might get pretty hard into your wallet.

P71 was suggested, and I'm sure would perform admirably, but I personally don't believe them to have much legroom in the back seat. Older American land barge sedans all seem to be that way, some Lincolns and Cadillacs excluded.

To me, E30's have a surprising amount of back seat room, but if the E36 you have now is cramped to you that's likely out of the question. Maybe try a sedan E36?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
3/12/15 10:44 p.m.

Infiniti G35 sedan - preferable with the 6 speed manual. Or a G35, G37, M35 would also bee nice. As would a Cadillac maybe

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
3/13/15 6:34 a.m.

Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna. Luxuriate in the roominess. Indulge your second childhood when the kids are grown.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
3/13/15 6:41 a.m.

My first thought was Mazda5 also.

The other car I'd suggest is a V6 5spd Accord. People write them off as "boring". If you've driven a 5spd V6, I'd bet it changes your mind. Plus it's super family friendly.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/13/15 7:37 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: P71, P71!

Close, in his budget, go for the Marauder. It has that extra little something that won't make you regret its slushbox only availability.

Beyond that, plenty of room for a family, 24mpg, comfortable with some sporting intentions. A simple retune wakes it up quite a bit over stock. A few other bolt ons help to if you find yourself wanting more.

Reliable? Like a brick, with easy parts availability too if needed. You'll have to hunt to find a good one in that budget but they are out there.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
3/13/15 7:51 a.m.

Thanks to everyone who responded so far - looks like there's a lot of good ideas in here. One thing I've been wondering: Do E36 sedans have significantly more back seat room than the convertible?

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/13/15 8:01 a.m.

E46 sedan! I've ridden in the back seat of one from Houston to Nawlins without any issue, and I'm 5' 11".

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
3/13/15 8:04 a.m.

6 speed Allroad. Reliability be damned!!

trucke
trucke HalfDork
3/13/15 8:35 a.m.

Just man up and get her a minivan. As kids get bigger, you will be hauling their friends too!

We bought a Highlander a few years ago and it meets all the family hauling needs. Of course, I have an autocross toy too!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O5cLwOk5zs8KxspPfc9OqdvxWtp22CUTrOIk35oI4yGBmbFcLiZOmBLzSg3fvHJM