1 2
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/9/21 12:38 p.m.

I'm not an SUV fan, but if one suited my needs, I'd probably go with a Sequoia for reasons already mentioned.  For added "bug-out" capability, a local shop Main Line Overland has built up a few of these over the years.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/9/21 12:50 p.m.
AaronT said:

I think you should have a real honest chat with yourself about what 'bug out' means to you.

is your true goal survival or are you bored and looking for a toy?

What actual scenario are you prepped for?
Civil unrest/war? truck vs Prius is much less important than safe and easily defended position with arms and food, but you can't buy guns big enough to defend against an A10 or an Apache.

Nuclear? You're in FL so you die in a nuclear situation by default and even if you don't your vehicle is bricked by the EMP, soooo.

TL;DR whatever toy you want.

So much all of this plus if it is in case of society collapsing what is the chance you are going to be easily able to get fuel? Either due to pumps being down or currency collapsing. At the very least you want something as fuel efficient as possible but I really don't think a car makes a sense if you are actually worried about the end of society

The ultimate bug out vehicle is a bicycle with either a touring or bikepacking setup. No fuel needed (other then calories for yourself), lower maintenance, easier to escape from civilization via trails, faster then walking (usually). 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/9/21 1:17 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

What are you bugging out from and where are you bugging out to? Just "being prepared" is a bit too open ended to me. 

Excellent questions. Where to? As desolate as possible. Wyoming? Idaho? Idk. From? Florida man, among other things. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/9/21 1:25 p.m.
Mndsm said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

What are you bugging out from and where are you bugging out to? Just "being prepared" is a bit too open ended to me. 

Excellent questions. Where to? As desolate as possible. Wyoming? Idaho? Idk. From? Florida man, among other things. 

Where in Idaho? Idaho is very different from the north to the South. I live up by the Canadian border. All of it not desolate really, Idaho is actually the state with the most population growth I believe

How long do you want to be able to be in desolation? How self sufficient do you want to be? What sorts of survival skills do you have? 

You aren't getting to Idaho on one tank of gas from Florida either

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/9/21 2:16 p.m.

So- like I said, being paranoid. Truthfully, civil unrest and the collapse of society is the least of my worries. Walt won't let that happen. I'm more thinking the hurricane variety. And really, I wouldn't even be asking this question at all if I didn't keep talking to a prepped friend with the aforementioned fj. My plan from the beginning has been get a large heavy duty tow pig. Escalades fit the bill well, with the 6.2 and the 6l80. I wouldn't care about 4wd in most cases either, but again paranoia. The squishy insides are a small capitulation to the Mrs under the simple auspice of she wants a road trip vehicle. I realize road tripping with a gigantic v8 is a terrible plan, but if I can road trip and accidentally come back with something fun, so be it. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
1/9/21 3:11 p.m.

H2??

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/9/21 4:10 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

H2??

This was actually the genesis of this very idea. Big, big, and pretty capable. Shockingly high resale value. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/9/21 4:33 p.m.

I'm perfectly content with my tow pig/bug-out machine.  3/4 ton 2004 Suburban.  Sufficient power from the 6.0 and the super heavy duty 4L80 trans.  4wd is better than not 4wd when you have to ford a sea of meat or at least not get hung up skirting around a pile up on the interstate.   I don't drive it every day so it's thirst and bulk don't matter as a DD.   

here it is towing 9,000 lbs.  beast mode

RevolverRob
RevolverRob New Reader
1/9/21 5:10 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:
Lol. And my supermodel girlfriends have ALL been less maintenance than the nerdy ones. So anecdotally rediculous you can not be serious.

There was a recent study of vehicles with over 200k miles still on the road and I believe the #1 was tahoe/escalade/suburban based road warriors. I will need to search to see how many range rovers with 200k miles I can find for sale.

And yes I have owned all of the makes you mention and my experience has been so far the opposite I still cant believe what you posted wasnt some form of slap stick comedy.

The 911 in the garage just got a completely rebuilt suspension and pinned coolant lines (16k in service) at 70k miles and the two escalades in the driveway with a combined 340k miles have needed all of a fuel pump, knock sensor, air compressor, shocks, and tune ups probably totalling 2k all in.

Did you catch the part where you proposed to counter his anecdotal example with facts, but instead went on to provide your own anecdotal example, while ridiculing him for being ridiculous?

Just sayin'...if you want to counter an anecdotal argument, you probably don't want to do it by providing an alternative anecdotal example.

Not too mention you were wrong. - https://www.businessinsider.com/20-cars-that-are-most-likely-last-200000-miles-2020-4#8-toyota-4runner-13

1. Toyota Land Cruiser
  2. Toyota Sequoia
  3. Ford Expedition
  4. Chevy Suburban

No the Range Rover isn't on the list. But also absent from the list is the Escalade.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/9/21 5:29 p.m.

In reply to RevolverRob :

I wonder if it isn't on the list due to it being a fancy suburban. 

RevolverRob
RevolverRob New Reader
1/9/21 5:43 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I thought so at first too, but the Yukon XL is on the list and it's a GMC-branded Suburban.

I suspect it's probably because there are fewer Escalades sold than Suburbans or Yukon XLs. So, there are just fewer 200k+ examples overall.

Also absent from the list are the Lexus versions of the same Toyota SUVs that are on the list. Yet, they should be as reliable as the Toyotas are.

FWIW - the Escalade/Lexus/Toyota/Chevy examples would all be great choices overall, in my opinion.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/21 6:16 p.m.

If I didn't have a long commute I'd have an Escalade. I miss my Suburban and the Cadillac badge is more fitting for someone as important as I think I am. 

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

You're Cadillac-important to all of us, that's for sure!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/9/21 7:21 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

If I didn't have a long commute I'd have an Escalade. I miss my Suburban and the Cadillac badge is more fitting for someone as important as I think I am. 

You live in new york. Be a mob boss. Buses are sorta like garbage trucks, right?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FqBriXmQpIb9xMWJ4sT0w1HhanyXm8ZODzav37x2wOdPxY0fKi9JV6F3Q7BtLpFi