1 2
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
7/12/12 7:04 p.m.

Little sis is looking for a new ride. About as indecisive as it gets. I asked her, give me you're top 5 requirements and a price point.

Here's what I got verbatim:

1. Automatic and no turbo, depending on make and model
2. Sunroof
3. Less than 120,000 miles
4. Color (preferably white, black or silver) - something within that color family NO RED
5. Models that are 2001 or newer. (Except for S40 Volvo's, I only like the sportier models of those, 2005+)

I've been browsing the following brands: Mercedes, Volvo, Infiniti, Audi, Lexus, Volkswagen, BMW and Saab. Occasionally I'll take a look at Mazda or Mitsibishi but haven't really found anything there that I like. I'd love an SUV but know I can't afford the gas....I like the M-Class.

Thanks!

I should add some more info, she's driven Volvos here entire driving life. Started out with an 850 (which I acquired and still have) she then got an S70 which she currently drives. The S70 has treated her well, it's got ~210K miles on it, and is mechanically sound, however it's bounced off of a concrete barrier, was "straightened" by a frame repair guy and put back together. I use quotes because while it allegedly passed all specs for an alignment and drives okay, body panels don't line up. A recent run in with a concrete pole at a gas station left a nice racing stripe down the passenger side. A lot of little things are starting to break, and she can't DIY them. I'm ~800 miles away so I'm of little help. She thinks she needs something newer, and less broken.

Her "non turbo" reasoning is she doesn't want to pay for premium gas, and the indy repair guy she uses for her Volvo, has brain washed her against them.

I kind of laugh at the M Class, but her list is pretty damn random. I say she needs to stick with Volvo and get an S40/60. Last Craig's list link she sent me was for a C230 Kompressor with 70K miles for around $16K

However she claims to have a $10K cap.

That pretty much covers it.

Have at it.

Thanks!

• Lee
Brian
Brian SuperDork
7/12/12 7:11 p.m.

miata?

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
7/12/12 7:36 p.m.

From the pole stripe and bouncing off concrete barriers, I don't see a happy future for this car or recommending anything particularly desirable - I'd think about low operating and maintenance costs - then again sounds like she kinda wants an image car - early 2000s MB C class.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
7/12/12 7:57 p.m.

Yeah, she's got a pretty nice job, actually damn nice job considering she's 2 years out of college, and it's her first "big girl" job. Where she works, who she works with, and who her job caters to have had a huge influence on her tastes.

Oldtin, my response email to her C230 was a CUCV Blazer . She's not necessarily a bad driver, that said she needs something fairly resilient.

• Lee
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
7/12/12 8:00 p.m.

Maybe a bumper car?

vern2point3
vern2point3 New Reader
7/12/12 8:07 p.m.

Sounds like she spends alot of time on I-465, aka the 24/7 Indy Demo Derby. Are you sure she wouldn't like a Humvee?

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/12/12 8:08 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Maybe a bumper car?

Or one of the old plastic-body Molsers that get advertised in the first few pages of every GRM since about forever?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
7/12/12 8:12 p.m.

V6 Camry... perfect car for the indecisive.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
7/13/12 6:54 a.m.

Sounds like she needs something built like a tank, as reliable as a "typical Japanese sedan", yet is somehow classy....for perhaps under $10K. If $10K is her real price cap, and 120K miles is the outer limit for miles on the odo....most of the cars she says she is interested in are close to being out of her budget cap.

Until she gets better at driving, I'd second the V6 Camry suggestion. Besides, it's almost impossible to find a Camry that isn't silver.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
7/13/12 7:04 a.m.
integraguy wrote: Sounds like she needs something built like a tank, as reliable as a "typical Japanese sedan", yet is somehow classy....for perhaps under $10K.

That sounds about right to me. This may be a job for Acura 3.2TL? (or later TL/TSX depending on how well bought)

Lexus IS as an alternative?

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/13/12 7:21 a.m.
integraguy wrote: Sounds like she needs something built like a tank, as reliable as a "typical Japanese sedan", yet is somehow classy....for perhaps under $10K. If $10K is her real price cap, and 120K miles is the outer limit for miles on the odo....most of the cars she says she is interested in are close to being out of her budget cap. Until she gets better at driving, I'd second the V6 Camry suggestion. Besides, it's almost impossible to find a Camry that isn't silver.

I will echo this sentiment but my recommendation will be an Infiniti i30/i35.
If she is happy with the style of a Volvo sedan, she will be equally happy within the lap of respectable luxury of these Infinitis.
Surprisingly, the i30 and i35 call for regular gas, not premium.
EPA is so-so at 17/20/24 (about the same as a S70)

Typical sample:
'04 w/ 75k for $8,500 asking price.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=44870&endYear=2013&showcaseOwnerId=65370107&startYear=1981&makeCode1=INFIN&maxMileage=100000&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=10000&listingId=322777960&Log=0

If a bump in mpg is needed, consider the Infiniti G20.
A little older as they were only made until '02 but the 2.0L 4 cyl is powerful enough and the interior is still lux-enough.
Typical sample: '01 w/ 69k and $6,700 asking price. MPG 20/23/28
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=44870&endYear=2013&showcaseOwnerId=65370107&startYear=1981&makeCode1=INFIN&maxMileage=100000&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=10000&listingId=324663509&Log=0

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
7/13/12 7:22 a.m.

I forgot about the I30/I35...definitely a viable option. Hmmmm, off to CL...

njansenv
njansenv Dork
7/13/12 7:30 a.m.

Lexus ES300? Camry with panache.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
7/13/12 7:37 a.m.

Camry.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/13/12 8:33 a.m.

IS300 or ES300.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
7/13/12 8:46 a.m.

I'll second the half-hearted suggestion of acura TSX a lot of them are high miles, but there are some with low miles for the age available. example: http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3134621873.html

chuckles
chuckles Reader
7/13/12 8:50 a.m.

Mazda 3?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/13/12 8:52 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: IS300 or ES300.

These. Strong as an ox. Trouble free. Plentiful so they can be repaired easily.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
7/13/12 8:58 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: IS300 or ES300.

Pretty big difference between those two models...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/12 9:01 a.m.

Whats wrong with a newer Volvo? They do make non-turbo versions (but, honestly. Why would you get one?)

What's the feelings on Infiniti? Not a big fan of them usually, but at least they aren't Lexii or Toyota's.

If it wasn't for the potential for repair costs, a TDI VAG product might fit the bill and save some money at the pump.

How about some out of the box thinking?

Cadillac CTS? Lincoln MKZ?

yamaha
yamaha Reader
7/13/12 9:32 a.m.

Just make her think you don't like her.........Audi TT 3.2L quattro.

IF it doesn't catch on fire, she will probably thank you.

Image, check "Girly", check 4wd, check (and she will thank you over and over again here in indiana) no turbo, check Maintence, ehhh,.......they aren't that bad Just never take it to an audi dealer, they'll claim too much is wrong to fix(if over 3 years old)....lol

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
7/13/12 10:54 a.m.

Sounds like a cute-ute is in order, as much as I hate those. The Corolla, er, RAV-4 or Civ- damn, did it again- CR-V would work nicely. It's an SUV, kind of, they're all made in silver or black, they all have autos, the Yota can be had with a V6, both are non-boost, and are reasonably priced within that year range. And both will run until after the apocalypse.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
7/13/12 12:31 p.m.

AVOID IS300 weak ass suspension + low profile tires = bent lower control arms....

I reiterate the Camry... or the Acura... but AVOID the IS300

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
7/13/12 1:30 p.m.

Pretty much most luxury brands mentioned require premium.

njansenv
njansenv Dork
7/13/12 2:45 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: AVOID IS300 weak ass suspension + low profile tires = bent lower control arms.... I reiterate the Camry... or the Acura... but AVOID the IS300

Say what? I keep hearing how indestructible those cars are - and have a cousin who flat out LOVE's his. Of course, he "only" has factory 17's...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uReevHR8MJi3L6oZJr9u5zOd2dyHtKVWtsxpaqQ839TfNOhKetVRbL42fPWBfQsS