1 2
JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/13/15 12:58 p.m.

Nothing wrong with this cobalt, but being a Mazda fan I will definitely suggest a 3 or a 6, both are simple and cheap to work on and slightly better safety ratings as opposed to the chevy.

Opti
Opti Reader
3/13/15 1:17 p.m.

No tbelt.

195/60/15s in the pic are cheap and plentiful.

Only common issue I know of is a fuel leak for the fuel pump module.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a beater

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/15 1:40 p.m.

isn't the HHR built on the cobalt chassis?

anyways I vote Toyota Echo

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
3/13/15 3:03 p.m.

Yep, it's basically a slightly jacked up Cobalt station wagon, but they marketed it as a retro-style crossover if that makes any sense (It didn't to me, but whatevs)

92dxman
92dxman Dork
3/13/15 3:56 p.m.

Mrs. DX had a Cobalt for a few years. It wasn't a bad appliance and terrible to drive the few times I drove it. I'd go with a Cobalt, HHR, 3/6. How about a G6? They should be cheap at this point.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
3/13/15 9:21 p.m.

my wife loves her ion, its an 04 we bought used in 06 sold to my father in law and just bought back. has 132k on it now and other then regular maintnence the only issue has been sway bar endlinks and now its starting to develop a valvecover leak. its had the recall work done and i feel safe letting her drive anywere in it.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/15 9:24 p.m.

brother in law has an 06 that he got new when he finished college. it's gone from cleveland to richmond back to cleveland and is moving to orlando with him next weekend. 150k+ miles, he beats it up pretty good but keeps on maintenance, and it's never needed anything worse than a wheel bearing. has yet to do the clutch even.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
3/16/15 5:45 p.m.

Seems decent enough. See if you can find a Saturn Astra or pontiac vibe. Better compact choices from GM. I still think the focus of the same era was better.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/16/15 6:55 p.m.
Yep, it's basically a slightly jacked up Cobalt station wagon, but they marketed it as a retro-style crossover if that makes any sense (It didn't to me, but whatevs)

You seem to have forgotten the marketing brilliance that was the PT Cruiser.

Maybe if it was a good seller they would have sold it for more than just 10 years with minor updates, right? If anything, HHR was so late to the party that it missed the boat.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/16/15 7:44 p.m.

it will do appliance duty just fine. Beat them up on the price as the resale is pretty low on these.

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
3/16/15 8:05 p.m.

Unless they dramatically come down in price between now and Wednesday (next time I have free to visit the dealer) I think i'm walking away from this one. They are 3000+ over high retail on NADA and KBB, no way i'm paying that kind of coin. Thanks for all the input, I'll keep the board posted on how it goes.

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
3/17/15 5:04 p.m.

Just pulled the trigger on a 2007 Honda Civic EX coupe. This one Got it for 7990, getting extended warranty and gap coverage just in case stuff happens. Got tired of playing footsie over the Cobalt with the other dealer after they suggested I add my daughter to the note to get a favorable price on the car because I have another open car loan. Went to my credit union and got a pre-approval and test drove the Honda after seeing it on the internet. Spent less time between my credit union and test driving this car than I did screwing around with the dealer who has the Cobalt telling him I wasn't going to pay that much for that car (12,998 was the price on the Cobalt BTW). Again, thanks for all the input, GRM is the best forum on the web IMHO.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
3/17/15 7:28 p.m.

I wouldn't have paid more then $10k on that Cobalt. 11,000 miles or not its still a 5 year old economy car that may or may not have had any of its fluids or rubber bits ever changed.

Other than a little headlight fogging (or bad pic angle) it looks like a clean car. Hope the Honda tax didn't get you too bad.

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
3/17/15 9:53 p.m.

In reply to Fr3AkAzOiD: Dude, it's like you're in my head. I told those guys 10K was my max and the two cars they showed me were 17K and 15K out the door. Wasted 2 hours of my life and wouldn't even tell me what my finance rate was before they want my signature. Classic pressure tactics. Got a pretty good deal I think, not much of the Honda tax on this one. You've got a good eye, there is a little headlight fogging and a cracked windshield they are replacing before I take delivery.

Opti
Opti Reader
3/17/15 11:22 p.m.

I think you got a better deal. Keep the tires rotated on it. those things eat rear tires, feathering on the inside edge of the rear, makes a ton of noise, honda will tell you to put the "c" control arm on and align it and it will be good, it rarely fixes it though, atleast from personal experience.

Run a decent tire, keep them rotated and put the newer arms on and you can keep it to a reasonable level.

Ive always liked that the newer hondas tell you when all the maintenance is do with the indicators. What they all mean should be in your owners manual. It will pop up letters and numbers and they all mean something. Always thought that would be useful on a beater.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
3/18/15 7:38 a.m.
06HHR wrote: In reply to Fr3AkAzOiD: Dude, it's like you're in my head. I told those guys 10K was my max and the two cars they showed me were 17K and 15K out the door.

Hell, for $17k you could get a 2015 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost sedan. I know, I test drove one Monday and for $h!ts and giggles talked them down to under that out the door. There starting price was $19,500.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
3/18/15 10:50 a.m.

With the Cobalt, make sure the ignition lock recall has been done or is not relevant.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/18/15 12:46 p.m.

Good deal on the Civic. The 8th gen is as good as a non double wishbone Honda gets.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
3/18/15 4:06 p.m.

+1 to what the mob is saying about Civic. Fill with gas, change oil, tires/brakes when needed and drive drive drive!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RYzrSnbyHdIf0peiFy4NXNpepfvqopSHscGIsILOhJCqFa48fOV07F0WEwV4c87Y