Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
5/31/13 10:48 a.m.

ok boys and girls, the time has come for me to buy a automatic econobox for the Wife. I'm trading in my 09 Mazda 3 Touring and I will be financing the new/used car. I need good at least upper 20's for gas mileage but the higher the better, I also need a normal back seat. I test drove a Volvo S40 yesterday and the back seat was smaller than my 3, thats dumb. I would like to keep the OTD price under 15000 and I'm not afraid of used. After work I'm going to look at a 2010 Sonata. So what say the GRM brain trust?

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/31/13 10:56 a.m.

used camry?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/31/13 10:58 a.m.

Used Yaris.

beans
beans Reader
5/31/13 11:09 a.m.

Yesssssssssssssssssssss.

Honda Accord.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/31/13 11:13 a.m.
beans wrote: Yesssssssssssssssssssss. Honda Accord.

QFT

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
5/31/13 11:32 a.m.

Probably should try to narrow it down some, as the criteria you gave leaves endless choices....Camry, Accord, Malibu, Mazda 6, Forte, Optima, Sonata, Altima, etc... Are you looking for a sedan, hatch, wagon? How old can the car be?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/13 11:44 a.m.

Sounds like a Mazda 3 might fit the bill. 2009 should be well within your price range. Probably could even get a touring for lots of little lux features.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/31/13 11:47 a.m.

Scion xB?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
5/31/13 11:47 a.m.

Ford Focus

nocones
5/31/13 11:57 a.m.

Honestly though what's wrong with the Mazda because without that info you've basically only eliminated trucks, vans, and sports cars

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
5/31/13 12:00 p.m.

How important is rear seat room? Im assuming it's important since you're not talking Mazda3 again..

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/31/13 12:06 p.m.

I'm making a leap here, but I got the impression he wanted bigger back seats.

This is why the answer is Honda accord. 31 mpg hwy with the auto four cylinder (according to the EPA, not your cousin Jerrold who once had one as a rental and got 49 mpg) and it does all the things your wife will want out of a car without breaking. Bonus: slow and predictable depreciation.

Edit: forgot to mention, the back seat of a 2010ish Accord is the size of a nice studio apartment.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
5/31/13 12:09 p.m.

Used previous generation Fusion Sport? AWD, auto, 3.5L 260+hp Duratch engine, bigger back seat?

t25torx
t25torx New Reader
5/31/13 12:29 p.m.
nocones wrote: Sounds like a Mazda 3 might fit the bill. 2009 should be well within your price range. Probably could even get a touring for lots of little lux features.

This is what I was thinking. I think it's a trick question

beans
beans Reader
5/31/13 1:43 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: I'm making a leap here, but I got the impression he wanted bigger back seats. This is why the answer is Honda accord. 31 mpg hwy with the auto four cylinder (according to the EPA, not your cousin Jerrold who once had one as a rental and got 49 mpg) and it does all the things your wife will want out of a car without breaking. Bonus: slow and predictable depreciation. Edit: forgot to mention, the back seat of a 2010ish Accord is the size of a nice studio apartment.

Word.

A 7th gen V6 6-speed Sedan or V6 Hybrid sounds pretty fun, too.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
5/31/13 3:17 p.m.

Sorry the post was vague, I'm at work and supposed to be "working". I own a 3 touring but it is a 5 speed and my Wife made a HUGE deal about how she would rather walk than learn to drive it. Don't have to have a back seat larger but it would be nice. I have two bikes and a 06 malibu for DD duty that the A/c doesn't work in and she can't do without the air conditioning.

Also she is extremely vague because she doesn't really know what she wants...... yes I am a little frustrated

nocones
5/31/13 3:56 p.m.

Off lease Camry /thread

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
5/31/13 5:36 p.m.

Sounds like the simplest solution by far is to suck it up and get the AC in the malibu fixed. If she doesnt know what she wants, she deserves an 06 malibu until she figures it out.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/13 5:36 p.m.

Nissan Versas are supposed to have huge backseats.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D5ZR6c2USI2B7PJCg2C8Wt6UO7Id5YuXkkogXU9Cd0to4e5V77UqLHQyncQehCt0