OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
11/12/15 11:08 p.m.

So, wife needs to start looking for new vehicle, needs to be super reliable since she drives across several states at times.

She likes the Fusion, but wants to sit up higher, so SUVish (smaller ones, so what, "crossovers"?).

She likes the CX5, and they have a good rep as best I can tell. I haven't looked in to other suv type thingies though. My Focus has been bullet proof (she doesn't want a 5sp, or she'd use that...), so I thought the Escapes might be as well, but still need to check.

Can be a year or two old, I guess, would prefer warranty still be in tact though, so age/odometer matters. Would like to stay in the $20-$24K range but a little more isn't necessarily a deal killer. Pushing $30K is though.

Best options?

Thanks.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/15 6:34 a.m.

Toyota RAV4

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
11/13/15 6:58 a.m.

Ford Edge. AWD, comfortable, roomy without being lumbering. Good cars.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
11/13/15 8:19 a.m.
EvanR wrote: I have chosen this moment to announce to the world that, henceforth and forever, I am responding to all "What car?" posts with the same answer, no matter how irrelevant it may be to the actual question. Subary Justy 4WD

What he said.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
11/13/15 8:29 a.m.

The ford 2.0 eco-boost had teething issues amd I'm not sure when/if it was fixed. The auto in the new focus had issues as well. The cx-5 has a good rep and my two friends who have one have had no major issues (interior is prone to scratching easily though if I recall). Crv, hrv, cx3?

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
11/13/15 9:19 a.m.

RAV4, CRV, Outback. I'm partial to the Outback, ours has needed nothing other than oil changes and tire rotations for 55k miles.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
11/13/15 9:36 a.m.

My mother has a 2013 Outback. Other than badly warped front rotors it's been fine. I just don't like it. Dog slow and the seats aren't very comfortable for me.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/13/15 9:42 a.m.

You are in the prime of the auto market. Every manufacturer is catering to you.
CRV and Rav4 are the two easiest cars to recommend to the average car buyer. Very few people dislike them.
The newest category is one size smaller than CRV class. These are the Honda HVR, Chevy Trax, Mazda CX3, etc.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/15 9:59 a.m.

Still waiting for someone to post a "What wife, car edition?" thread.

I've had my wife since 2003 and my CX-5 since 2013 and they've both been pretty reliable thus far. Both out of warranty at this point, so we'll see. Zoom zoom.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/15 10:02 a.m.

CRV and RAV4 would be the first two I'd check out.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/13/15 10:07 a.m.

In reply to Tyler H:

Life can get pretty complicated when you try to test drive a few at the same time.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
11/13/15 10:13 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: In reply to Tyler H: Life can get pretty complicated when you try to test drive a few at the same time.

QFT

Renting can be cheaper in the long run.

Checking out the new models in the showroom never hurts.

Spending some time with an exotic will make you appreciate your Ford even more.

I'll stop now.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/15 10:19 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: In reply to Tyler H: Life can get pretty complicated when you try to test drive a few at the same time.
QFT Renting can be cheaper in the long run. Checking out the new models in the showroom never hurts. Spending some time with an exotic will make you appreciate your Ford even more. I'll stop now.

Sometimes you can take one home free for the weekend, I hear. I think she was a Buick, though.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/13/15 10:40 a.m.

Buick meaning 70 years old?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/13/15 11:10 a.m.

As much as I have enjoyed the Rav4s of the past, given the lack of a big engine option anymore i'd go for the CX-5 first.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
11/13/15 11:34 a.m.

Hadn't considered the RAV, Honda, or Subie, we'll look in to those.

As far as the "smaller" ones, CX3, etc... probably skip those, as she usually has a whole boat load of stuff to cram in when she takes the long journeys, and she sometimes travels with others.

Re: the "what wife..." - that was funny! I was nearly in that position a couple months back - but as things have improved, I have no further comment on that (especially if the wife reads this post!).

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
11/13/15 11:39 a.m.

Just looked at Subie website, what is this Crosstrek thing? Is that one of the "small" ones?

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
11/13/15 11:42 a.m.

I don't have much to add here, other than that I misread the thread title as "What wife, car edition" and immediately clicked on it.

allen_m
allen_m New Reader
11/13/15 12:21 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i:

It is based on the Impreza wagon, it sits a little higher. If your wife has to haul stuff and people maybe look at a Forester.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
11/13/15 1:04 p.m.

I'd say go RAV4 or CX-5. They both seem to be pretty roomy. The RAV4 has tons of cargo room with the backseats up and they recline too. If I ever had the urge for an appliance, i'd probably go with a RAV4.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
11/13/15 1:08 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: Still waiting for someone to post a "What wife, car edition?" thread. I've had my wife since 2003 and my CX-5 since 2013 and they've both been pretty reliable thus far. Both out of warranty at this point, so we'll see. Zoom zoom.

I am guessing that means the honeymoon is over(with both). Are you still liking the CX-5?

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
11/13/15 4:23 p.m.

We bought a new RAV4 for my wife after driving pretty much all the SUVs in that segment. Our previous one was a CRV. It wasn't difficult to make the decision as the RAV4 simply seemed to be the best, and ironically the best bang for the buck too. It drove the best, was the nicest inside, and had decent room as well. So far, 9 months in there has been zero issues of any kind and it is averaging around 26mpg with the wife driving.

I loved our old CRV too, but Honda would only come off the price a couple of hundred on a new one and acted like they were doing us a HUGE favor. The RAV4 listed at $29k and we got it out the door below $26k. A nice bonus since it was our first choice anyway.

Anyway, I highly recommend them if you only need an appliance.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/15 4:55 p.m.

I've always been much more of a Honda guy than a Toyota guy, but we test drove a new CRV last year and then I had a brand new RAV4 loaner for a day and the RAV4 is waaaaaaay nicer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AdfK4Rs8U9fE218fRB0lTcBLXaBh7A0g25qIcvWN7lKM8kozLC1QrngL5cStO0oh