SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
10/16/24 2:41 p.m.

Yes, yes, I know.  I change cars as often as some people change underwear.  However those are more often "toys" than daily drivers.  Over the past years I've settled into having some form of BMW E90/82 consistently, as well as a truck/tow pig.  As I'm finishing up my second motorsports season living mostly on the road, my needs/priorities for a large vehicle are getting more focused and I want to find the right fit.  I asked a similar question before, but it was a while ago and I'm more dialed in now.  Here are the factors in play:

Whatever I get will be used as back up transportation when we're not on the road, with the BMW as primary.

Our traveling with said large vehicle will be sporadic.  We may go two months without needing it because we fly everywhere, then we may go 4 straight weeks using it to drive city to city.  Basically we're thinking < 8 hour drives, or longer drives if we're doing back to back to back events within the same geographical region.

The vehicle probably needs to be an SUV.  Pick up trucks have traditional back seats.  I have a 100lb black lab who will be riding with us.  For an 8 hour drive, I'd much prefer something with a large flat floor for her to be able to lay in more than just one position.  We also need room for our luggage and maybe a mini 12V fridge.  Minivan is ideal, but lacks towing capability.

We will bring a bumper pull RV fairly often.  We've done the Goldilocks approach.  Our first was like 22' and was too small.  Our current is 37' and while we absolutely love it, it's too big for easy tow/drop/pick up/tow/drop/pick up.  We're thinking 30-ish feet, < 7000lbs roughly. 

We'd prefer to stay under $10k, but can go a bit higher as needed.  Don't want something from 199x, I'd prefer something around 2007+.  I'll of course be looking for a documented service history with something old/high mileage.

What say you?  '07-'09 Suburban/Yukon XL?  Same year Tahoe/Yukon?  '12+ Expedition/Armada?  Would a hemi Durango fit the bill?  The Sequoia and Land Bruiser are probably out of price range, along with Escalade and Navigator.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/16/24 5:25 p.m.

I think you're on the right track with Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon. Don't forget to include the Escalade in the search but they'll probably be too expensive or too worn out compared to the GMC/bowtie models. 

I wouldn't rule out the Sequoia, they seem to go for less than they should. Also, don't forget about the Lexus GX. They seem to go for less than comparable 4Runners and Land Cruisers. 

5 of my family members, including myself, have really disliked the Armada that we rented for a road trip. It didn't do anything wrong, but we found ourselves continuously annoyed with the car.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/16/24 5:41 p.m.

7,000 lbs. of towing ability really narrows the field.   $10K price limit lowers the field even more.

10/16/24 6:10 p.m.

7000lbs of towing is a ballpark, I'm sure we could get by with 6000lbs.  Just can't work with a minivan that's limited to 3500lbs.  

Anyone have experience with the "mid size" SUVs?  Explorer, etc...  Are they very roomy with all seats down/out?

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
10/16/24 6:15 p.m.

What about a Nissan Armada? I am not sure what you get for $10k but I believe that would fit all the requirements and could potentially be a little lower priced than other makes. 

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
10/16/24 6:28 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Pick up trucks have traditional back seats.

Depends on the truck...

At least the 09-14 F-150 'supercrew' has a large flat rear floor, with more than enough room (standing, sitting, or laying) for any dog, placed at a significantly easier height for them to get in/out as they age vs the back of a full-frame SUV.

Thinking back to the Suburban we looked at before buying our F150, sure acres of space in back for a large dog to lay out, but also probably a bit short on height for sitting and standing.

What about a full size, 3/4 ton van? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/16/24 6:41 p.m.

You're coming off a long bed, crew cab Super Duty.  Do you like it enough to do the SUV version of that same thing...Excursion?  
You're typically not adverse to higher mileage vehicles and they arr old enough to fit your price range.  That range might not get you a Diesel 4wd but I'll bet a V10 2wd

Your Super Duty is spartan XL trim.  Excursions were more often build with higher trim luxuries.  

Random Sample: Diesel 2wd w/181k @ $9.3k

10/16/24 7:25 p.m.

The truck is great, just lacking the giant flat floor.  The Excursion is just too old, we'd really prefer something a bit newer.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/16/24 7:48 p.m.

How about something bought or built for current truck?  

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/16/24 8:07 p.m.

The nicest 7.3 excursion you could find. I had a 2wd that went all over the country, towing, people hauling etc. Drove with my ex wife and son with her car in tow from southern California through Texas in August heat. Even handled a tornado on the same trip. Was stock besides bigger transcooler. Now I have an ecoboost Expedition that replaced it. 

The Expedition knocks down the miles faster and better but doesn't tow as well. The Expedition didn't feel like a freight train though. 

If the Excursion is too old and the Ecoboost Expedition is too complicated then maybe a 6.2 Escalade.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 9:29 p.m.

The requirements list reads like a design brief for the Yukon (etc).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ePgzeAfsiXeHXMAzrZ8Bug1uEdmbIifUv2C9Nj7L5wSoSIJ0ty3hCtpPNuFMV9Vh