1 2 3
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/9/20 11:39 a.m.
Nugi
Nugi Reader
3/9/20 11:42 a.m.

I didnt copy other peoples ideas and call them mine, thats for sure. 

_
_ Dork
3/9/20 11:47 a.m.

My brother and I set a junkyard on fire when I was 14. We used to take the go kart out that dad specifically told us not to take out while he was at work. We would drive that thing all over the streets of our town. We used to break glass by the dumpster. We used to skateboard at the bar. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/9/20 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Nugi :

Big man trash talking the 14 year old's science fair project over here. cheeky

I think I did a science fair project on different types of catnip, with assessments of how high our family cats got on each of them.  This seems a lot more practical.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/9/20 11:55 a.m.

When I was 14 I did what I always did as a teenager.  My dad made me change tires and do mechanic work at the family tire store every Saturday and all summer.  I got paid just enough to cover the tuition at the private school I attended.

I did learn a lot about working on vehicles and that saved me a lot of money over the years.  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
3/9/20 11:56 a.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

I entered my first race. Circle track car 48 Buick straight 8 in hobby stock. Had to be 15, I lied. I hope the statue of limitations is up. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/9/20 1:08 p.m.

I love the blind spot camera idea. Heck, the A-pillars on the CX-9 are like 10" wide?  I know they're there for my "safety," but damn!  I'm far more likely to get crunched by a car I can't see than I am to put the thing on its roof.

I miss safe cars you could actually see out of, like the Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/9/20 1:38 p.m.

I was building and racing slot cars.  Somewhere I have a trophy for winning a 12 hr slot car race with dad.  I did 8 hrs of the racing myself.  We were probably an hour ahead of the other 7 teams.  They dismantled our car post race to find out it was 100% legal.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/9/20 1:45 p.m.

Stuff I probably shouldn't talk about here. Also, super nintendo.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
3/9/20 3:25 p.m.

I worked in a gas station at 14 mostly cleaning the service bays and yucky jobs nobody else wanted to do because I couldn't get a work permit until I was 15. Don't think they even have work permits anymore. Probably doesn't matter because don't think many teenagers actually get jobs and work anymore.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/20 3:27 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Playstation and something else that ends in -ation?

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
3/9/20 3:35 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I love the blind spot camera idea. Heck, the A-pillars on the CX-9 are like 10" wide?  I know they're there for my "safety," but damn!  I'm far more likely to get crunched by a car I can't see than I am to put the thing on its roof.

I miss safe cars you could actually see out of, like the Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon.

I've had occasions when the A-pillar on my Focus has hidden entire cars for seconds at a time.  I'd love to have this device too.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/20 3:36 p.m.

14? I was riding my Yamaha Razz to town and getting groceries, mowing, riding dirt bikes with friends and marching band. 

now 15 was where it started to get interesting. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/9/20 3:41 p.m.

Mixing Drano and aluminum foil in closed containers.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/20 3:45 p.m.

Lets see

Jarts

BB guns

Black powder

22's

Ya we had fun. . .

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/9/20 3:57 p.m.

Farmed, went to school and hated the waste of time it seemed to be, spanked the monkey , dreamed of being an adult, turned red and stuttered around women...  Lots of fun stuff.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/9/20 3:59 p.m.

When I was 13, I bought a Lil Indian mini bike, that was a total basket case. Learned how to wrench on that bike.  The summer of my 14th year, I moved up to a "motorcycle". A 1965 Honda 90.  The love and fascination of bikes, and things mechanical have been with me since.  And that is a little north of a half century  ago :)

For reference:  Not my bike, it was never this nice.  All bought with paper route money, and bottle returns, and hustling doing lawns etc.Image result for 1965 honda 90 motorcycle

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
3/9/20 4:06 p.m.

I think I was around that age when I built an FM transmitter for a science project admittedly, from somebody else's  plans. No idea why anybody was impressed by it at the time. I didn't even test anything.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
3/9/20 4:12 p.m.

Hmm...studied a lot, rebuilt an old evinrude motor, smoked weed behind the band room, played bass in a Tool cover band, got rejected by lots of girls 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/9/20 4:13 p.m.

Nothing as useful as that blind spot set up.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/9/20 4:15 p.m.

I learned how to weld when I was 14.  Also, I built my first potato cannon.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/9/20 4:26 p.m.

Won a diving championship because I wasn't 15 and play in my friends' class; bought $25-$50 cars for running around in the field.  First time rolling over; a 1952 Dodge something with Fluid Drive.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/9/20 4:37 p.m.

I was learning how to web design and photoshop when HTML was still hand jambed and PS was still in it's infancy. I remember being blown away by dreamweaver and PS2

I also did a science fair project on what kind of paints protect steel the best against saltwater (living close to the beach). The teacher said it was a dated test and my samples were tainted because my dad gave me scrap steel plate that had practiced some welding on. 

This is a great idea however I don't see a projector casting an image working well in certain parts of the day and almost being a distraction at night.  On the right track though. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/20 5:20 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Stuff I definitely shouldn't talk about here.  Also super nintendo.

By the way - do NOT look up F-Zero videos on YouTube.  It turns out I was playing it all wrong, I was actually driving the courses instead of jumping tracks.   That sounds kind of lame.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/9/20 5:36 p.m.

That's clever.  Instead of a projector screen me could use a curved gorilla glass lcd display.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZhErOgXgL8fDTSZMK2E77QS1s1JpBbPxMPFvywm3MnM9ijcGkhkxhsJByBxmNiNz