frenchy
frenchy New Reader
10/26/10 5:00 p.m.

Specifically the supercharged Ultra model. I found a beautiful 1996 with 125k on it. It looks really nice and I plan on looking at it tomorrow. From the research I have done, they seem to be pretty solid vehicles. They have the 3800 engine so that should be solid. Are the tranny's up to the task? Are there any common problems I should know about? I read a lot of consumer reviews and they all seem pretty positive. I have also seen a lot of Park Aves for sale with over 200k miles so that's a good sign too. Heres is a link to the Buick if anybody cares. Thanks in advance!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
10/26/10 5:13 p.m.

should be a 4t80e. flex plates are known to be little weak if you pound on it. But it's a buick. Wife had a 91? with 300K on the original engine.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
10/26/10 5:15 p.m.

My father-in-law owns one and he is 74 years old. All his friends own Park Avenues. There might be an age restriction on owning one.

I someday look forward to relaxing on a couch in a Park Avenue or Town car.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
10/26/10 5:30 p.m.

4t80e? Is that the transmission code? I have heard the transmissions in the Regal GS and GTP Grand Prixs are failure prone. Do you know if they use a different one?

iceracer
iceracer Dork
10/26/10 5:34 p.m.

They are big.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
10/26/10 5:36 p.m.

4T80E is the transmission model (most likely, Used in the GTP GP, V8 Aurora's, etc)

Edit: you would have the 4T60-E HD in that car. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4T60_transmission

integraguy
integraguy Dork
10/26/10 5:57 p.m.

I know this info isn't quite what you are looking for but the Consumer Reports Used Car Guide "disses" the Park for having VERY soft/unsupportive seats and soft suspension settings. The "good" news? This car features a remote with memory that allows you to set the doors, the DRIVER'S seat, outside mirrors, and a few other accessories to 1 of 2 settings. I guess this allows you to have all those items go from your to your "significant other's" pre-sets with the blip of a remote.

BTW, this engine uses premium gas, and is rated at 18 city 27 hiway.

Just your luck, this model was "updated" for 1997.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
10/26/10 6:03 p.m.

The couple I've driven were like what would happen if GM had to use FWD hardware it had lying around to try and replicate what a near-lux car from the 60's would feel like to sit in and drive.

Oh wait that's exactly what they did there.

924guy
924guy Dork
10/26/10 6:23 p.m.

look hard for rust... i had one i couldnt even jack up without the jack pad creating a new drain hole in the under carriage.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
10/26/10 7:21 p.m.

I had a 1998 Park Avenue Ultra. Was dead reliable in my ownership period of 180k to 220k. The trans went out at 200k but other than that I had no real problems. It was owned by a smoker, then a smoking college kid. Given the service records was given minimal maintenance (like 15k oil change intervals). The front two windows liked to come off track and the steering wheel wrap was worn.

I drove it like an idiot for 3 years and 60k miles and just changed the oil and plugs. I put on a Home Depot PVC intake and ran a 15.5 in the 1/4. It was stupid quick up until about 70mph. Bought it for $1500 and sold it for the same.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/26/10 7:25 p.m.

couch on wheels. the in laws have one except the non s/c 3800.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/26/10 7:27 p.m.

The left blinker will never turn off.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/26/10 7:28 p.m.

Don't the S/C's need rebuilt occasionally?

Other than that, all the homies around here seem to like putting dubs on them...

MA$$hole
MA$$hole New Reader
10/26/10 9:16 p.m.

With 125k that motor is still young. Proper maintenance goes a long way. Make sure you change the S/C oil & you'll be fine there.

The main thing is the transmission as the 4T60E-HD is prone to failure in higher mileage vehicles. Usually it's a solenoid issue & easy to fix when you know them, or easy enough to find another transmission.

Had a 92 PA Ultra with 198k on it with no issues other than cosmetics & a bad transmission mount. Previous owner had records for everything, I miss that car a bit.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
10/26/10 10:28 p.m.

I would say if the car is in good shape and you have no illusions about the sort of car it is.. then get it. Those cars are really great at doing what they were designed to do..

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
10/26/10 10:28 p.m.
924guy wrote: look hard for rust... i had one i couldnt even jack up without the jack pad creating a new drain hole in the under carriage.

Anyplace that they tend to rust out?

MA$$hole
MA$$hole New Reader
10/27/10 6:21 p.m.
frenchy wrote:
924guy wrote: look hard for rust... i had one i couldnt even jack up without the jack pad creating a new drain hole in the under carriage.
Anyplace that they tend to rust out?

I've seen a number of W-bodies rust below the doors. But I'm in New England, so even rust has rust on it.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/27/10 6:26 p.m.
MA$$hole wrote: I've seen a number of W-bodies rust below the doors. But I'm in New England, so even rust has rust on it.

[threadjack]

Magazine-worthy quote, right there.

[/threadjack]

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aTTZZ2yG4czI7tDPR5KnjXxzBcS08qtSRoi9WVUdT0mayMEUYGN1laTiUwYDgVJE