Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
9/23/12 7:21 p.m.

What do I need to know about this car. I know there is a general distrust of Audi here, and I share that to some extent. But the A3 seems like the perfect solution and the wife loves them. What do I need to know?

Looking 2006, maybe 2007 if the price is right. I'm curious about the DSG, but will most likely stick with a manual. Any known trouble spots? Specific things to look for?

Thanks, as always.

bequietanddrive
bequietanddrive New Reader
9/23/12 8:03 p.m.

Basically, you just need to know that they're mechanically the same as a GTI of the same year - so I would keep my eye out for a 4 door GTI as well. They're generally reliable, especially by VW standards. The FSI engine had some issues with the cam follower and diverter valves, but nearly all of the little issues are known by now with fixes as well. I say go for it!

FYI, the DSG's of those years were still a bit problematic, especially with the Mechatronics units failing (the brains of the tranny). I know VW upped the warranty to 10 years/100k for the GTI, and it may be the same for the Audi as well.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/23/12 8:33 p.m.

^^^This^^^

There really isn't much more than this. My cousins has an '06 and its had a couple Electrical gremlins that was resolved with replacing some simple parts. The cam follower had to be replaced too and it's checked every couple oil changes.

Never had a problem with the DSG though.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
9/23/12 10:28 p.m.

How about an '08 S-line 3.2 Quattro which was DSG only?

I've begun to think this could well be my "grownup car" but I'm a little spooked about the DSG.

If I get one that's around 50k miles and do the DSG service chop-chop am I more likely to avoid clutch issues?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4jbJoFp1lej3RGECrdT4jMI6B8x87ohInUVdSbSg4C3xkMPydo8uA64KFOxaVxTZ