1 2
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/24/23 1:52 p.m.

What do you do with a wrecked Tesla? Maybe insurance companies being quick to total these out is a good thing.

https://insideevs.com/news/678377/wrecked-tesla-model-s-plaid-cyber-kart/

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
7/24/23 8:34 p.m.

*If* sufficient weight can be removed, then yes, there are some possibilities; I'm just not sure whether it's worth all the work. Take off the doors, some glass, and the roof maybe, but then some weight comes back in the form of a tube chassis and maybe custom panels. For me personally, I never got serious about this type of build because traffic around here has ruined owning any hardcore sports car; I'd get from A to B just as fast as if I'd left it alone. If it's a track-only car (drag or twisty?), then there's a tow vehicle, trailer, and the usual stuff. How much faster do you need to go over the unmodified EV?

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/24/23 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Except that EV makers havn't shown that they are willing to let the general public have wrecked EV's.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/23 10:36 p.m.

If I trusted my wiring and computer skills I'd love to electrfy my Monte Carlo. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/25/23 9:01 a.m.

What kind of racing?   Autocross ? Track days?  Drag?  
     Autocross.   The body is all aluminum Monique . Suspension as it is works decently.   But if you can weld aluminum. I'd cut the roof off and everything  above the tires or in front of the front tires or behind the rear tires.   Then I'd get a recumbent ( layback ) seat.  And weld an aluminum skin across where I cut the body off.   Remove doors ( hinges )  cut off door skins weld them back into openings.  Kind of turn it into a single seat Can Am car with aluminum covering the passenger areas. Roll cage required?  Connect it to the side body.  Put it on a big plate with a piece  of plywood  between it and the batteries.  Make it a single seater cage like a rear engine dragster. 
    You could also find an old fiberglass body. And bolt it onto the aluminum.  Stretching or shrinking as needed. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/25/23 10:03 a.m.

Model 3's are steel bodied.

Okay I'm just looking at the video thumbnail; is it just me, or does that pipe look way, WAY too thin and minimal for a kart?

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/23 10:22 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

The "Boosted Boiz" are mostly drag racers, and their primary goal is creating youtube content.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/23 10:39 a.m.

Model S is same wheelbase as 1969 Charger.  i hope nobody beats me to it.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/23 10:43 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Model S is same wheelbase as 1969 Charger.  i hope nobody beats me to it.

I have a Model S and it's pretty much the best car I've ever had.  I have too many projects but I want to see somebody take *everything* from one and rebody it.  Essentially a hat car but keep the dash electronics, the cameras, the autopilot, the interior, everything.  

I've seen a few EV swaps that had the motor, part of a battery pack, etc. (SuperFastMatt on Youtube has a Jag done this way) but not everything.  Tesla has superb electronics integration, it'd be nice to keep all that.

7/25/23 11:48 a.m.
racerfink said:

Except that EV makers havn't shown that they are willing to let the general public have wrecked EV's.

At least that one got loose, but it wasn't cheap. You would think that as EVs got more common there would be more wrecked ones out there to play with. Does Tesla have deals with the insurance company to buy them back or something?

7/25/23 11:49 a.m.

There was that old Jaguar XKE conversion running around. He must have gotten his parts from somewhere.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/25/23 12:00 p.m.
racerfink said:

Or even used ones. I've heard of large parking lots of used EVs that are being taken off the road. Seems that one does not want anyone to see the long term decline of their cars. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/25/23 12:02 p.m.

There are a few companies doing conversions. And some don't rely on used parts. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/25/23 12:03 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
racerfink said:

At least that one got loose, but it wasn't cheap. You would think that as EVs got more common there would be more wrecked ones out there to play with. Does Tesla have deals with the insurance company to buy them back or something?

No, the Nissan Leafs have been effectively hacked wide open. Dala on youtube has based his career off of it, and is even using a Leaf pack as battery backup for his house.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
7/25/23 12:24 p.m.
alfadriver said:
racerfink said:

Or even used ones. I've heard of large parking lots of used EVs that are being taken off the road. Seems that one does not want anyone to see the long term decline of their cars. 

There's 1500+ teslas on copart right now and 7500+ used ones for sale on autotrader.

chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
7/25/23 12:25 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Are these the early-2010s "compliance cars"? I don't think a Focus EV or Spark EV is worth much now and any significant repair could scrap them. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
7/25/23 12:26 p.m.

What are you guys talking about? Copart has a ton of salvage teslas up for auction like regular old cars, and there are several Tesla only wrecking yards on the west coast alone.

edit: beaten to it

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/25/23 12:38 p.m.

And Tesla's just run RedHat linux. The problem with hacking them isn't getting into the software, it's Tesla shutting off your access to the Superchargers because your car is no longer reporting some data.

Rich rebuilds had a kit recently for the "Stealth" 3's that had the Model S rear motor, that spoofed the computer to keep your connectivity AND use it with additional performance.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/23 12:47 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

I think it comes out of Tesla not allowing cars with a salvage title to use Superchargers. There are certainly salvage title Teslas out there - I was at the track with one just last week - but their VIN gets flagged. Given the sheer amount of energy involved in fast charging and all the ways it could go wrong, I think this is a justifiable thing to do. I can see there being some sort of recertification program in the future.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/25/23 12:49 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Okay I'm just looking at the video thumbnail; is it just me, or does that pipe look way, WAY too thin and minimal for a kart?

Really? But they are made on a 6 ton Giga press.   I thought to work steel they needed a 9 ton Giga press. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/23 12:51 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

And Tesla's just run RedHat linux. The problem with hacking them isn't getting into the software, it's Tesla shutting off your access to the Superchargers because your car is no longer reporting some data.

Rich rebuilds had a kit recently for the "Stealth" 3's that had the Model S rear motor, that spoofed the computer to keep your connectivity AND use it with additional performance.

It's the Performance rear motor. Turns out my car is one of them. You can get the Ghost Upgrade.
https://ingenext.ca/products/ghost-upgrade

Problem is, all of your future updates have to go through them to keep the tweak alive.

7/25/23 1:17 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

What kind of data do they want? Just data on car performance, or does Elon want to know where you go and match to the data he collects off of your Twitter (Now X) account.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/25/23 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Hot damn! I never heard of Ingenext either, this is cool.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/25/23 2:06 p.m.
frenchyd said:
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Really? But they are made on a 6 ton Giga press.   I thought to work steel they needed a 9 ton Giga press. 

Giga press is just a huge aluminum die cast machine. Nothing to do with the body skin panels, I believe. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
7/25/23 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

giga-castings is the big industry buzz word now

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dk0ux13pu1xB6ySMDEhY23AUNp7nPbt8fDGNf6GkOO9Bzgmo5UF7OvPmS4hZwna5