1 2
racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/25/23 3:47 p.m.

In reply to dps214 and Trent:

There's a difference between buying a part off Copart, and buying back your wrecked EV from the insurance company.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
7/25/23 3:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Trent :

I think it comes out of Tesla not allowing cars with a salvage title to use Superchargers. There are certainly salvage title Teslas out there - I was at the track with one just last week - but their VIN gets flagged. Given the sheer amount of energy involved in fast charging and all the ways it could go wrong, I think this is a justifiable thing to do. I can see there being some sort of recertification program in the future.

Yeah. Makes sense and through an extended game of telephone that info gets morphed into " They won't let you have the wrecked car"

I have heard it from a ton of people.  From "They take the totaled cars" to "Tesla will brick your battery via an over the air update if you try to swap it into a non Tesla"

And while I am against Apple/Tesla/John Deere on the "right to repair" fight, I do agree that without some sort of post repair certification/inspection/regulation, supercharging is scary. We have all seen hack work on cars. I shudder to think what could be bodged in the charging circuit.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/23 3:53 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

If you'd like, I can ask my friend how he got his hands on his salvage title Tesla. There were no shenanigans involved, IIRC he totalled it himself. So, where are you getting information that you can't buy back a wrecked EV?

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/23 4:04 p.m.
psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/23 4:09 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Trent :

I think it comes out of Tesla not allowing cars with a salvage title to use Superchargers. There are certainly salvage title Teslas out there - I was at the track with one just last week - but their VIN gets flagged. Given the sheer amount of energy involved in fast charging and all the ways it could go wrong, I think this is a justifiable thing to do. I can see there being some sort of recertification program in the future.

Your lips to Musk's ears.

https://electrek.co/2022/11/09/tesla-salvage-vehicles-back-supercharger-network/

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/23 4:13 p.m.

In reply to psteav (Forum Supporter) :

Cool. I'll ping my friends on the inside and see what I can find out. I'll bet Howard would love to get Supercharger access back.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/25/23 7:46 p.m.

I jumped to the end of that video to see the cart make some street passes.  They then said, 'next stop, the dragstrip."

Now, I don't know NHRA rules and specs but my guess is that at the speeds they will post at the track, the roll bar and safety wont meet spec.  

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/4/23 9:37 p.m.

Not surprising, exodeathkarts have really bad aerodynamics.  In previous vids they put the front end back on and messed around with some stretchwrap across the roll cage tubes.  Their latest vid has actual wind tunnel testing:

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/5/23 9:49 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

If it looks like Cleetus' Leroy, they will be fine. NHRA doesn't care if it has body panels or not. About the only safety equipment needed additionally is arm restraints.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/23 11:44 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Model S is same wheelbase as 1969 Charger.  i hope nobody beats me to it.

World's first 440 powered Tesla?  cheeky

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/24/23 8:46 a.m.

Boostedboiz Kyle is at 1320s Ice Cream Cruise this weekend and posted on IG that all the local superchargers are broke near them and is looking for a local person with a home charger.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gdNSoOAMrE3KOURr0IqgjcWNeV3Qd5TYyL0qpyVYCri3nyNpK1xfOkP9SNJkcwhy