nickleone
5/28/08 11:26 a.m.

http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/8005145

Look at the news video.

Nick

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/08 12:33 p.m.

I think the host could win the John Schnieder look alike contest.

I also think that the news is looking to make another frightening story about gas while giving us half the story. How about an engineer to tell us why it's happening and how to prevent it instead of just Donald McDonald telling us this sinister fuel is going to make us drop a grand at the repair shop. I also don't remember ethenol being used to lower the price of gas, but to replace MTBE as an oxygenate.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
5/28/08 1:47 p.m.

I was never really comfortable putting anything but dead dinosaurs into a machine meant to burn fossils, but someone decided ethanol was good for one reason or another.

My only issue with ethanol is the number of farmers quitting corn for feed and growing corn for ethanol. Lack of product makes that product more valuable, supply and demand; so as ethanol production increases, the price of feed increases. Higher feed = higher cost of that product. It's a dwindling spiral.

I haven't figured out exactly how, but I'm pretty sure it's Bush's fault, Big Business killing off the lower/middle class for their own gains, the Bilderberg Club or just another Mother Ship passing in the night.

I'll let you know when I figure it out....

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/28/08 2:18 p.m.

The byproduct of automotive ethanol production IS cattle feed...

E10 has been around for 40+ years, this is a scare-tactic BS story.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
5/28/08 2:53 p.m.
P71 wrote: E10 has been around for 40+ years, this is a scare-tactic BS story.

Exactly what I was thinking! I haven't seen pure gasoline, as far as I know, ever in my life. It all contains "up to 10% ethanol". OK, so that could mean, at times, 0%, but the stuff has been around for longer than most cars!

Also, what the hell were they doing showing us the friggin' throttle bodies? Fuel injection takes place downstream of the throttle body. The only thing that passes by that is air!

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
5/28/08 4:21 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: Also, what the hell were they doing showing us the friggin' throttle bodies? Fuel injection takes place downstream of the throttle body. The only thing that passes by that is air!

B-I-N-G-O Mr ConfuZion ... B.S. Scare tactic to make us chage our oil more.

Screw the Bozo's!!

Jeff

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/28/08 4:25 p.m.

E10 has been around since at least the mid- '80's, I had to deal with the questions while I worked at the Ford dealer from '86-'91. It's called 'oxygenated fuel' in areas like the LA basin, etc.

An interesting point was brought up a while back on one of the news sites: all the poor farmers in Africa, Asia etc could grow stuff for ethanol production with no real disruption in their techniques and have a product they could sell on the world markets. There are so many different 'feedstocks' for ethanol production (corn, wheat, soybeans, sugar cane, rice, the list goes on) that it's pretty much universal rather than being concentrated in a few areas the way oil production is. Switching to ethanol has the potential to bring a lot of people out of poverty.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q7VUYM71XqftN3hhxD410XpIDrJFDVt6pyG8aOBzjA7A0M627f15Kpn3uItAuCT8