CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
3/4/17 4:10 p.m.

What's the best grease to use on sway bar bushings? Nothing fancy....just rubber bushings. A link to a product I can buy from NAPA/Amazon would be ideal.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/4/17 4:56 p.m.

I don't think rubber bushings are typically greased, but I ~do~ like to use Moly Slip on things greasable. Never-Seize also works.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/17 5:33 p.m.

Wrap the bar with a little Teflon tape where the bushings go on. Seriously. Works well.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
3/4/17 6:27 p.m.

I've frequently used plumbers(waterproof) grease for swap bar bushings...

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/17 6:29 p.m.
Nessumsar
Nessumsar New Reader
3/6/17 6:35 p.m.

The best bushing grease is a silicone-based or silicone-impregnated synthetic. The silicone gives the grease a very sticky/tacky property that will help it cling to the bushing and last a long.

That is what we (Hotchkis) supply in all of our kits.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/6/17 6:50 p.m.

I confess. I've never greased or otherwise lubricated a sway bar ever. And my years old polyurethane front end kit is as silent as it could possibly be.

johnnie
johnnie Reader
3/6/17 6:59 p.m.

My poly bushings get squeaky if I don't grease them. I can't remember what I used after I ran out of the grease that was supplied with them.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/17 7:40 p.m.

I use the Napa Mercury outboard lower end grease. Mostly because I had a tube of it around years ago and it worked well.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
3/6/17 10:41 p.m.

May be helpful, may not be, but in the needle bearings in my rear suspension linkage on my MX bike I use a 50/50 blend of BelRay waterproof grease and BelRay moly paste. It lasts longer than any other combo I've tried. I can get a full season of mud and pressure washer abuse without worrying about my bearings getting rusty or the lube washing out. Just thought it might be applicable?

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
3/7/17 6:16 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Wrap the bar with a little Teflon tape where the bushings go on. Seriously. Works well.

I like this. I've been drilling/tapping & installing grease fittings on sway bar mounts for years & never cast an eye on that roll of Teflon tape sitting right there in the toolbox.

How long does it last?

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
3/7/17 6:38 a.m.

I use Lucas Red 'N Tacky #2 on basically everything with a zerk fitting, and a lot of things that need greased that don't have a zerk.

It works well, holds up great, both of my Jeeps have poly bushings on their sway-bars, have yet to start squeaking since the first and only application of grease a few years ago.

It's red when new, as the name implies, so it's easy to see when you've used enough to replace the old dirty blackened grease.

Hopsonn
Hopsonn New Reader
3/7/17 8:48 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Wrap the bar with a little Teflon tape where the bushings go on. Seriously. Works well.

This has worked very well for me. I wrapped the bar in heavy duty Teflon tape from McMaster. They sell it in wider sizes and thicker than the big box store. I then wiped a layer of Krytox I had from another project (seat belt bracket squeek) on the ID of the poly bushings and installed. No squeeks, still feels tight, and I haven't re-lubed in years (50k miles?).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/17 8:49 a.m.
Dashpot wrote:
I like this. I've been drilling/tapping & installing grease fittings on sway bar mounts for years & never cast an eye on that roll of Teflon tape sitting right there in the toolbox. How long does it last?

Lasts approximately forever from what I've heard, I haven't had to remove a sway bar in ages and have all rubber sway bar bushings so I haven't tested it myself.

I might put some on the Samurai just as a durability test, it's super easy to get to the sway bar on that.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
3/7/17 9:00 a.m.

That green "Marine" grease you find in the autoparts stores. I put that on all my bushings, and it works very well. Nasty stuff, though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YJJ5HrBf1zEKOj7zwaKfYNK1KkS5SLAeJyEqxalFDkmzCeuDOXrjUAN3uhLFpVxv