buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/3/24 7:53 p.m.

My ignition is a bit worn and you can take the key out in ACC and kill the battery. This is not a new problem. So I had to jump it. 

It wouldn't start. I also ran the tank really close to empty and parked on a side hill. I walked up to the gas station and bought a gallon.

It still won't start and I'm getting worried. I checked for the sound of the fuel pump and I hear it running with the key in ON. I figure it needs a bunch of priming if I ran it fully out of fuel.

Still no dice. So for some reason I gave it half throttle and it fires right up. But it wouldn't idle for about the first 10 seconds, and I had to pedal it. Then it idled and ran fine. Started back up later with no issue.

What happened there? I'm kinda thinking IAC?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/24 8:20 p.m.

Did it ever kick when trying to start?  I've seen a couple times where vehicles would flood if you cranked them long enough with insufficient fuel pressure.  Not enough fuel to start but enough to wet down the chambers.

I haven't seen it on a Jeep but tons and tons of GMs from the late 80s/early 90s where carbon in the throttle body would cause flooding when trying to start.  Not enough air was going past the throttle plate.  Usually when they would get bad enough to cause this, the throttle would be sticky when closed.  Being low on fuel may have been a red herring.

Oh!  How low was the voltage?  I have seen some of those 80s era electronics still function even down at like 4v (modern stuff gives up the ghost below 9v) BUT they go really bizarre when that far outside their normal zone.  They often would run super mega soot-blowing pig rich.  So cranking with a weak battery may have caused the injectors to pour ALL the fuel in, compounded by weak spark.

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
10/3/24 10:17 p.m.

I've had the 97+ Jeep XJ's act like that after the battery went dead and had to be jump started. They won't hold idle initially, have to keep it running with the throttle for a few minutes. Then it will be back to normal after that.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/3/24 10:27 p.m.

I can totally see being "out" (low) of gas being a red herring.

It didn't kick at all until I touched the throttle and then fired instantly. It cranked over like it was missing fuel or spark. It is a very low voltage vehicle too. Normal running is 13.2-13.7v depending on load. On the jumper cables I didn't check the voltage but it was cranking over just as fast, if not faster, than straight off the battery.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/4/24 2:34 a.m.

It's a Jeep thing.  You were told you wouldn't understand.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xs99RBsDoYpxCfvkGrXp00tNMSeQKa0bjroHCCCwDJjndzKx5bDgDOteiDgHUch2