1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
11/25/09 3:48 p.m.

So I may possibly getting a job in the nations capitol. I would assume to have to ditch either the trans am or mustang and get a more viable city car, unless I moved to the suburbs, which I don't really have the funds to do in the surrounding area of DC. The Mustang would most likely go because I've put a lot of time, $, and BS&T into it. The Trans Am would have a home here in Florida so long as my parents stay in the same place or until I establish myself in DC to where I can afford a garage.

I've been trying to figure out what car I would want that would A) Be fun to drive B) Be small enough to get into most parking spaces in the city C) Be reliable D) easy to work on (brother lives in suburbs out in Maryland, he has a driveway and carport tools would be stored here). E) be able to autox or take to VIR maybe?

I know you guys hate these threads but I'm at a standstill in what I should start looking for.

List goes as is:

Mini Cooper S

Civic Si 06+

Get another Fit (doubt it)

Cobalt SS

GTi (kinda hate VWs tho)

1 Series Bimmer?

Input help?

Edit: Brother also has two SUVs so if I ever needed space to haul stuff around in...I just give him a ring.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
11/25/09 4:43 p.m.

You can get something fast and keep it at my house in the DC suburbs. I will not drive it. Promise.

And you should add "WRX" to your list.... It fits all of your criteria easily.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/09 4:50 p.m.
irish44j wrote: And you should add "WRX" to your list.... It fits all of your criteria easily.

No.

I own a WRX and they do not make a good city car. An automatic might be better, but it's still a turbo.

If you want a stick, a Civic might work in the city. DC traffic sucks.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
11/25/09 4:53 p.m.

Focus zx3?

Hal
Hal HalfDork
11/25/09 5:03 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: Focus zx3?

Agree. It meets your criteria, is easy to manuver in DC traffic and will not draw unwanted attention in the city.

zoomx2
zoomx2 Reader
11/25/09 5:21 p.m.

Might be stretch at VIR though......

MA2LA
MA2LA New Reader
11/25/09 5:24 p.m.

DC is not as "city" as most think.. I daily drive my 3500 quad cab long bed dodge there.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/25/09 5:31 p.m.

My WRX was no trouble in Melbourne Oz, population approx 4 million

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
11/25/09 5:43 p.m.

seven posts and no miata suggestion????

you guys are off your game

Will
Will Reader
11/25/09 6:11 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: Focus SVT?

Fixed that for you.

924guy
924guy Dork
11/25/09 7:16 p.m.

Get a beater... spend as little as possible, drive it till it dies a permanent death (the not worth fixing, or fixing to often point) repeat as necessary.... you can find some fun cool cars cheap if your not worried about dents or rust... and you don't have to worry about putting more dents in them, that's part of the fun!

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
11/25/09 8:08 p.m.

Grew up in Springfield, VA (ten miles outside DC). Lived there 23 years.

If you are commuting into the city just get a beater then keep a fun car. If you are living in the city get a beater fun car. DC is a great city and there is tons to do in the area. The beach isn't that far and the moutains are even closer.

All I can say is that I hope you are ready to deal with the traffic, taxes, nazi police and smog laws, home owner associations. My two biggest complaints were the oppressively high cost of living and how seemingly everyone thinks they are the most important thing in the world. When I lived there I was looking at paying $800 a month for a room in a house or $1200-$1400 a month for a one bedroom apartment.

Down here in Daytona my note on the house taxes and insurance are about what I would have payed for that room. Hopefully the pay is good enough I know mine wasnt at over 50k a year.

mndsm
mndsm New Reader
11/25/09 9:12 p.m.

I'm surprised with the mention of turbo'd cars, the ms3 wasn't on the list. I DD mine, and other than the clutch being kinda nasty sometimes, it's never let me down.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer New Reader
11/25/09 9:52 p.m.

What you need is a Volvo!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
11/25/09 11:37 p.m.

if i get the job, i won't actually be in the city that often, just a place i call home.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
11/25/09 11:57 p.m.

Big Black Escalade with tinted windows. Traffic will part for you.

rwdsport
rwdsport New Reader
11/26/09 12:43 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2010-honda-civic-si/

"Better than: Just about any small sedan out there..." -GRM

erohslc
erohslc Reader
11/26/09 7:03 a.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222: So you'll be on the road then, home for the weekends? (Advisory Board?). Has to be airport friendly too then.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
11/26/09 7:18 a.m.

Forget the car, you'll be taking the subway dude.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
11/26/09 8:08 a.m.

I would just probably buy the cheapest hatch you can (I know it wasn't on the list but maybe a Focus Zx3/Zx5 might be a look) that you wouldn't get all up in arms if a ding or scratch was acquired in your travels. Also, what about a Yaris hatch or Scion Xa/Xb? TRD suspension bits are cheap and bolt right on..

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/26/09 8:57 a.m.

The DC Metro system is pretty good, you may not even need a car.

Miata.

If they made a wagon....

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
11/26/09 9:12 a.m.
924guy wrote: Get a beater... spend as little as possible, drive it till it dies a permanent death (the not worth fixing, or fixing to often point) repeat as necessary.... you can find some fun cool cars cheap if your not worried about dents or rust... and you don't have to worry about putting more dents in them, that's part of the fun!

+eleventybillion

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/26/09 9:23 a.m.
924guy wrote: Get a beater... spend as little as possible, drive it till it dies a permanent death (the not worth fixing, or fixing to often point) repeat as necessary.... you can find some fun cool cars cheap if your not worried about dents or rust... and you don't have to worry about putting more dents in them, that's part of the fun!

+1

I got my cavalier and it was nice and clean. Three years of commuting and I have big gouges in both bumpers, dings everywhere, and have had three windows broken. It may be soulless but it is dead reliable and the damage doesn't hurt as much as it would on a car I really liked.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/26/09 10:28 a.m.

Years ago, Mazda made a little convertable. Two seater IIRC. Not sure, but it was even rear wheel drive. I heard of a guy auto crossing one years ago.
Maybe you could look into that car?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
11/26/09 11:26 a.m.

I know all about the DC metro, brother used to live in Adam's Morgan (Madam's Organ as they call it) and off Columbia and Toronto so when I went to visit and I wanted to go do my thing, I found the metro to be very handy. LIke I said tho, I want a ride I can autox, track day, etc and still be good when I need to drive in the city.

I thought about a new Scoobie hatch WRX edition. I know all about the Civac Si, working at Honda and all, I don't mind them at all either. And actually a guy at work is always willing to sell his and it's virgin clean, as he drives like the old unexciting man that he is. So that might even work out pretty well. Convertibles are completely out of the question. Even if they sell hardtops for them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AcUeKfmSroUmKt4gI0MDxD61rJZi6kox4iJk8Bkl1Eqiu9eLTRdB7h8z9TU7zrjS