1 2
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/26/16 9:55 a.m.

I'm thinking of bringing some drag slicks to the challenge, in addition to my 'first 4 tires'.

They are currently owned by my teammate. They are 2 very well used MT "255 ET Streets" mounted on stock mustang wheels (15x7 I think).

I don't have much experience in drag tires used market. He bought them used a couple years ago and has used them for drag passes in his 240sx (was sr20, now LS1). What would be the FMV for both wheels and tires?

Also, I guess a relevant question would be "Does anyone think these would actually be faster in the drags than nearly new hoosier A7s on a FWD turbo car?"

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
7/26/16 10:28 a.m.

Yes, I would venture to say they probably do launch better than the A7's.

I'd put the FMV at about $150.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
7/26/16 11:16 a.m.

Agree FMV is between 100 and 200.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
7/26/16 11:40 a.m.

Can I borrow them for my car?!?

The softer sidewall will provide a much better launch. I think A7s have been used at the challenge for drag racing more than anywhere else when asking for experience.

Robbie
7/26/16 12:09 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: Can I borrow them for my car?!?

Haha, very likely. Let me talk to my teammate before I pimp out his tires though. I bet he would be interested in trading passes for beer/food/high-fives/amateur racing photography/fame/rides/etc.

Would be the 5x114.3 pattern mustang wheels.

Robbie
7/26/16 12:11 p.m.

So if we split one set of tires between two (or more) teams, do we all claim full FMV? or can we claim split portions that add up to FMV?

I feel like that might be a dangerous slipperly slope.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
7/26/16 12:16 p.m.

I have a set that was supposed to be used for a challenge mustang.....

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/brand-damn-new-slicks/117752/page1/

Am willing to haggle just to get them gone at this point

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
7/26/16 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

I'm sure I can arrange, food/beer/free runs in my car...ect.

Yeah could be a slippery slope. You buy the new A7s, I'll use them as takeoffs when you are done and I'll get the new drag slicks and you can use them after I'm done with them.

Robbie
7/26/16 12:29 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: In reply to Robbie: Yeah could be a slippery slope. You buy the new A7s, I'll use them as takeoffs when you are done and I'll get the new drag slicks and you can use them after I'm done with them.

Right, or even worse, since there is likely ample time for both autox runs and drag runs, conceivably you could have like 5-6 teams split 2 sets (or 3 - have one team bring a rain set for backup) of tires, giving themselves a huge budget advantage.

Robbie
7/26/16 12:30 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: I have a set that was supposed to be used for a challenge mustang..... https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/brand-damn-new-slicks/117752/page1/ Am willing to haggle just to get them gone at this point

Probably a bit tall for our car (and not to mention 16 vs 15), but that would be a great deal for someone.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
7/26/16 12:35 p.m.
Robbie wrote:
JtspellS wrote: I have a set that was supposed to be used for a challenge mustang..... https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/brand-damn-new-slicks/117752/page1/ Am willing to haggle just to get them gone at this point
Probably a bit tall for our car (and not to mention 16 vs 15), but that would be a great deal for someone.

But, this ad may serve well to establish FMV. Though not your correct size, these are $375 for NEW.
That seems to support the argument that at 40% tread remaining could have a FMV of $150-ish.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
7/26/16 1:16 p.m.

hoosiers A7 suck at the drags, in 2014 I got a way better ET using the skinny 8 year old street tires that came with the echo when I got it lol.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
7/26/16 1:53 p.m.
echoechoecho wrote: hoosiers A7 suck at the drags, in 2014 I got a way better ET using the skinny 8 year old street tires that came with the echo when I got it lol.

So true. Our Mustang hooked up much better on 205 slicks than on 315 A-7s. The Hoosier A-7 was also a half second slower than the same size V-710. Autocross tires are not drag tires.

Oh, the best real deal I got on drag slick was $80 on the rims.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
7/26/16 7:59 p.m.
Robbie wrote: 2 very well used MT "255 ET Streets"

FMV = $0

Robbie wrote: ... on stock mustang wheels (15x7 I think).

FMV - TBD

Robbie wrote: .... "Does anyone think these would actually be faster in the drags than nearly new hoosier A7s on a FWD turbo car?"

YES!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
7/26/16 8:56 p.m.

Those tires are almost 10 inches wide on a 7 inch wide wheel. Does that work well? I'm looking at some 26x10 MTs and wonder about using 7" rims.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
7/26/16 9:21 p.m.
Robbie wrote: So if we split one set of tires between two (or more) teams, do we all claim full FMV? or can we claim split portions that add up to FMV? I feel like that might be a dangerous slipperly slope.

I have always seen "If it is used on the car, it is in the budget"......so I would hazard a guess the full FMV hit would be for each individual team.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
7/26/16 10:13 p.m.

Sorry everybody, but parts sharing is allowed, but budget sharing isn't. If two teams share a $100 widget, each team must include the same $100 in their car's budget.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
7/27/16 6:55 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Sorry everybody, but parts sharing is allowed, but budget sharing isn't. If two teams share a $100 widget, each team must include the same $100 in their car's budget.

So we can't "buy" the now used tires from the other guy once they are done with them?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
7/27/16 7:33 a.m.

Of course you can! In that case, the FMV of a set of tires that's been purchased, mounted, scrubbed in, and delivered to the track for you is higher than a set of new tires.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
7/27/16 8:35 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

I was more talking about our already pre owned tires and I'm not seriously considering trying to make it cheaper budget wise except for my personal budget.

I really do like the free set of tires rule. The first two years I came to the event my tires were showing cords on the inside by the time the event was over.

Robbie
7/27/16 9:51 a.m.

I think budget-sharing should be allowed only in SUPER extreme cases.

Like if 3 teams want to share a $3k engine trans combo. I would love to see one car run the autox, then engine swap to another car, then race, then swap, etc. If any car fails to register a time, they all record no time for that event.

If any group could get 3 cars through the autox and again for the drag like that (in what, 4-5 hours?) I would be impressed, and it would make for a great story.

Maybe budget sharing is enabled for a MINIMUM number of teams. hahaha.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/27/16 10:24 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Bringing in a rally team pit crew for the challenge? Not doubting the abilities of anyone here, just the only types I've seen that might make it possible. Isn't Subaru rally team record like 2 hours for a motor swap between stages? I think I read that last year at least.

Robbie
7/27/16 10:32 a.m.
RevRico wrote: In reply to Robbie: Bringing in a rally team pit crew for the challenge? Not doubting the abilities of anyone here, just the only types I've seen that might make it possible. Isn't Subaru rally team record like 2 hours for a motor swap between stages? I think I read that last year at least.

I wish! I think with enough prep any good team could do it on simpler cars. Heck, I've seen those groups who build a model T or an army jeep in like less than 5 minutes. It's gotta be possible.

Jeep dissasemble and reassemble in 4 minutes

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
7/27/16 10:36 a.m.
Robbie wrote:
RevRico wrote: In reply to Robbie: Bringing in a rally team pit crew for the challenge? Not doubting the abilities of anyone here, just the only types I've seen that might make it possible. Isn't Subaru rally team record like 2 hours for a motor swap between stages? I think I read that last year at least.
I wish! I think with enough prep any good team could do it on simpler cars. Heck, I've seen those groups who build a model T or an army jeep in like less than 5 minutes. It's gotta be possible. Jeep dissasemble and reassemble in 4 minutes

With the right preparation I'm sure someone could do it faster than we could change out our wheels and tires.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/27/16 10:44 a.m.

That's just. Wow. Hmm... 3 teams, 3 bodies, 1 power train?

I'm trying to make budget, build, and time work out so I can come down next year to at least watch, if not compete.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1E93hYmP8Yo2BgbubM6pV0ZeBn4I4zkkqPxKHhTlK3PlP49cFI4xRcmXYPKyDqkO