1 2 3
skruffy
skruffy Dork
11/1/09 10:20 p.m.

The GTI only gets attention from other people in GTIs. It also has this odd habit of attracting other VWs when parked. Most people just don't know what it is and that's fine with me.

02Pilot
02Pilot New Reader
11/1/09 10:47 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
02Pilot wrote: People seem to genuinely like my yellow 2002; in spite of a fairly raucous intake and exhaust tone, and a willingness to use the higher rev range, it doesn't seem to get any unwanted attention from the boy racer crowd, while plenty of people smile and wave.
I hate, hate, really hate, HATE to say this (I've probably owned five or six 02s over the years-still wish I'd hung on to one of them), but...they finally look like antiques. The things were twenty five years ahead of their time, but that was thirty five years ago.

As long as the lineage was still a clear part of BMW design, the 02s seemed current. After the E30/E34 era ended, the 02s became more and more distant from the state of the art BMW design. The tall greenhouse and narrow track look increasingly old-fashioned, but I don't care. I've owned it for 15 years, and I'm keeping it - I don't care if everyone else is driving hovercars or riding around in those Logan's Run monorail things.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/1/09 11:03 p.m.

Not for nothing, but being a "normal" dude in a modded Civic is no picnic, either. Constantly getting revved on, flipped off, hell--even mooned once.

I might be going to pick up some takeout and the rest of the world thinks I'm looking for a race.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/2/09 12:42 a.m.
wayslow wrote: I think I've been driving old British cars for too long. When I read the title I immediately thought of this.

Just finally figured out "roundel." I was thinking British, too.

moTthediesel
moTthediesel New Reader
11/2/09 1:19 a.m.

My son has a E30 325is and he has noticed that people do react to it. "Smartazz rich boy in his Beemer" is a common sentiment, even though it's an $800 Craig's List wonder

In our family we also keep an old E28 524TD as everybody's "reserve wheels". It's a well loved family member by now, like an old eccentric German uncle, and we'll keep it till it enters Valhalla. Funny though, nobody seems to react to that car at all, it's just as if it's invisible.

skierd
skierd Dork
11/2/09 1:26 a.m.

The only car I've ever gotten much attention in was the 98 accent (when it had all of its Solo stickers on it) and my 00 Si. I get the occasional asshat who wants to race me on the bike, usually in a redneck wannabe in a lifted mid 90's silverado with dual exhaust and something obscene printed on the back window. Its a dirt bike folks...

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
11/2/09 6:42 a.m.

I didn't get so much asshattery in my E21 320i, but maybe that was because I lived in Massachusetts where so many people drive like that anyway. That, and BMWs were common in the areas I lived in.

What I did get a lot of, though, was ooohs and aaaahs from friends, acquaintances, strangers, etc. just because I was driving a BMW. Never mind that at that point in my life it was the cheapest car I'd ever owned!!! (I've since had my $300 Saturn and a free Civic wagon...)

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
11/2/09 4:59 p.m.

I take pleasure in the fact that its pissing them off that I am not racing. Unless theres a clock involved I'm not wasting my gas.

Buckhead
Buckhead Reader
11/2/09 5:08 p.m.

i have had pretty good luck in my bmw. i do catch the bird often in my girlfriends lexus sc430.

Buckhead
Buckhead Reader
11/2/09 5:09 p.m.

also people never let me over.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
11/2/09 5:44 p.m.

My old Subaru never got any looks from other drivers, but it was a Grade A+ Cop Magnet. I got followed everywhere in that car.

Luckily that isn't the case with my FC. I got my plates run once by a cop and I get the occasional revving from a Honduh-boi, but for the most part I get left alone. Past owners love to talk to me about it when they see it parked.

I haven't had my MS3 long enough to pass a judgement, but so far I've had an E30 full of kids and a middle-aged man in a Ridgeline block traffic because they were gawking at it (seriously)!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
11/2/09 6:14 p.m.

I get the ricer fly-by and constant revving in the Swift. It's loud, it's stickered so they think it "races"... it does, just not on the street. Bring your hunk-o-junk to an event sometime and I'll "race" you.

Buckhead
Buckhead Reader
11/2/09 7:01 p.m.

spider94r
spider94r New Reader
11/2/09 8:30 p.m.

I have an E46 M3 but it is BONE stock and dark blue in color. I haven't had any problems with asshats around Tampa. I did get buzzed by some dude in a C63 AMG Mercedes on the interstate last week. He wanted to race but I didn't bite.

I had one asshat experience in my C5 Vette, but more often it was compliments and waves. I used to get waves and compliments on my Miata, but people don't seem to see those anymore.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
11/2/09 8:56 p.m.

Know what's odd? My Z3 didn't draw any attention to itself by racers (except for the fact that almost every Civic made since 1986 has "Z3 fenders").

And yet...

and...

People in Camaros used to try to race me all the time when I had the Mustang.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
11/2/09 9:05 p.m.

This little bastard gets all the bikes after me. But that's another story...

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/2/09 9:56 p.m.

No one will race me in this.

I don't know why. I do get flipped off a lot, though.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
11/3/09 6:15 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
wayslow wrote: I think I've been driving old British cars for too long. When I read the title I immediately thought of this.
Just finally figured out "roundel." I was thinking British, too.

Weird how your own history spikes your memory sometimes. I was a member of the BMWCCA for a few years. When I read the thread title, I thought somebody was upset with the magazine..

http://www.bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=roundel_magazine

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/09 6:26 p.m.

When I lived in Ottawa, I had a red 1990 Miata with silver stripes. A friend of mine in town had...a red 1990 Miata with silver stripes. They were similar enough that my other friends would sometimes get us mixed up.

He reported that people tried to race him all the time. Never happened to me. Weird, huh? Couldn't be the viewpoint of the driver, could it?

Anyhow, the E39 M5 is invisible. Nobody notices it - except for guys who recognize it. I'm used to driving fairly extroverted cars, this stealth thing is kinda fun.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/3/09 7:25 p.m.

Keith discovers the Sleeper.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
11/3/09 8:50 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: No one will race me in this. I don't know why. I do get flipped off a lot, though.

put some antennas on it... should be worth some second looks...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/09 9:40 p.m.

corvette = all the mustang kids think i want to race them.

p71 = nobody wants to pass me and they all go 5mph under the speed limit in front of me.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
11/3/09 9:51 p.m.

The only people who try to race me are other Civics and one Caddy hearse. I don't know why anyone bothers I am probably not going to race them and the Civic DX is so slow I couldn't beat anything anyway.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/3/09 10:48 p.m.
patgizz wrote: corvette = all the mustang kids think i want to race them. p71 = nobody wants to pass me and they all go 5mph under the speed limit in front of me.

Off topic, but your C4 is a very nice example. The dark red and those black wheels really set that car off.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
11/6/09 11:28 p.m.
02Pilot wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote:
02Pilot wrote: People seem to genuinely like my yellow 2002; in spite of a fairly raucous intake and exhaust tone, and a willingness to use the higher rev range, it doesn't seem to get any unwanted attention from the boy racer crowd, while plenty of people smile and wave.
I hate, hate, really hate, HATE to say this (I've probably owned five or six 02s over the years-still wish I'd hung on to one of them), but...they finally look like antiques. The things were twenty five years ahead of their time, but that was thirty five years ago.
As long as the lineage was still a clear part of BMW design, the 02s seemed current. After the E30/E34 era ended, the 02s became more and more distant from the state of the art BMW design.

I see what you're saying (and agree with it, now that you've brought it to my attention), but I was actually thinking of when I made the comment was how well the cars went down the road. To me they have a suspension & engine dynamic that was much superior than anything else in it's class at the time.

02Pilot wrote: The tall greenhouse and narrow track look increasingly old-fashioned, but I don't care. I've owned it for 15 years, and I'm keeping it - I don't care if everyone else is driving hovercars or riding around in those Logan's Run monorail things.

Hey, if things get that bad, I'll join you! I could use another 02 in my life..

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MIU665fhJ66TXBSgWLh2Ly7UUUiHQygxxpIKHT6sFty61U0n9abLaEk6BfMPfQgd