1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/31/22 1:02 p.m.
feature_image

Toyota Racing recently shared the above picture on social media, suggesting that it has some news to share about this particular GR 86 tomorrow, June 1.

We have someone at Toyota's HQ, so we'll be able to get the official word from the source. 

Until then, what do we think it is? Is it the upcoming GR Cup car, …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/31/22 1:10 p.m.

Maybe it'll be a TRD version of the GR 86–meaning it'll be the Toyota Gazoo Racing 86 Toyota Racing Development. wink

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 1:18 p.m.

Free 86s for everyone on the grassroots motorsports forum if we promise to race them?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/31/22 1:27 p.m.

IMSA spec series. (My WAG.)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/31/22 1:28 p.m.

Rav4 GR

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/31/22 1:37 p.m.

Hi everyone! I'm on the scene here in Texas at Toyota North America HQ. They're going to make several announcements about their 2023 Toyota lineup tomorrow, and Lexus tonight. So far, I haven't heard anything about a GR edition Sienna.

* Note: Corrected.

lagunamike
lagunamike None
5/31/22 1:47 p.m.

Why would Toyota be making Acura announcements????

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/31/22 1:54 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Free 86s for everyone on the grassroots motorsports forum if we promise to race them?

Hell yeah!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/31/22 1:58 p.m.

I guess I'm kind of hoping for TC/TCA/TCR cars like the Honda Civic lineup. A spec series would be cool, but also very high-risk without venues and teams already committed, and I just don't think they'd have been able to keep that secret to this point if that were it. 

David S. Wallens
5/31/22 1:59 p.m.
lagunamike said:

Why would Toyota be making Acura announcements????

I'm thinking someone meant to say Lexus....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 2:00 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Rav4 GR

That's basically the Dodge playbook.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/31/22 2:01 p.m.

Sorry folks, I meant Lexus. I've been awake since 2:30a Eastern to catch the early bird here. I'll take a nap and be well rested before this evening. I promise.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/22 2:02 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

Hi everyone! I'm on the scene here in Texas at Toyota North America HQ. They're going to make several announcements about their 2023 Toyota lineup tomorrow, and Acura tonight. So far, I haven't heard anything about a GR edition Sienna.

Let us know!!!

David S. Wallens
5/31/22 2:09 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I guess I'm kind of hoping for TC/TCA/TCR cars like the Honda Civic lineup. A spec series would be cool, but also very high-risk without venues and teams already committed, and I just don't think they'd have been able to keep that secret to this point if that were it. 

I'm swinging for the fences here with the call for a spec series. laugh

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
5/31/22 2:34 p.m.

It's obviously the GR version of the MX5, with a turbo 3 cylinder BMW engine, based on the NE chassis. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/22 3:20 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

IMSA spec series. (My WAG.)

Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports

I wouldn't think it's that much of a WAG.

they said they're brining a one make series here.. and this certainly looks like it could fit the bill. My money is with you. This is going to be the launch of the official one make race spec cars.

David S. Wallens
5/31/22 3:34 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

If it wasn't for disappointment I wouldn't have any appointments. (Not sure if that line works here, but just trying to keep my expectations in check.)

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/22 6:32 p.m.

I know what it is...

toyzman
toyzman
5/31/22 6:55 p.m.

were going to have an actual Toyota sports car or were actually going to support grassroots racers,,,, either would be nice and over due.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/22 9:09 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

So far, I haven't heard anything about a GR edition Sienna.

The night is still young!

jb229
jb229 New Reader
5/31/22 9:23 p.m.

Corolla TCR or they're going to bring over the GR 86s they run in Australia and NZ.

Seems like a GR 86 series in North America would be going head to head against the beloved MX-5 Cup.  Might be a tall order...

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/22 9:32 p.m.

I bet they're adding a new sporty trim level that consists solely of a stripe graphic and an embroidered headrest.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/31/22 9:46 p.m.

Indycar engine under the GR 86 banner?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/31/22 9:46 p.m.

Should I be setting my alarm at 12:15am to get the news?

jh36
jh36 Dork
5/31/22 9:47 p.m.

they will publicly contact me to join their newly formed gr86 pro team and simultaneously hand me a contract for an extensive video documentary about the journey. 
That's what I think. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4dwr89w7K73gRw8WI9n4cZGmG8muWfs0QZeLJQ7StcJ8GDou73T6dqRCKDFspnB9