1 2 3 4
Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
4/25/15 11:50 p.m.

Ferrari 550. Love its subdued lines, and it's from the era where you could row your own in an F-car.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
4/26/15 3:45 a.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: Because better than 9mpg's and all the tourques?

Similar results could be had by slapping EFI and overdrive on the existing big block, and the hood would close, it won't eat front end parts like candy, the interior won't smell like diesel fuel (all old diesel vehicles inadvertently do), etc.

I can see the appeal, but it ain't for me. Diesels belong in displacement hull boats and load haulers.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/26/15 7:18 a.m.

Let's give the oil burners their just accolades. It's not 1995 anymore. While I agree that the 6BT pictured would not be a good candidate for the Cadillac, a newer Duramax would be sweet!

And BTW, you won't even get close to the same performance just by adding EFI. The hood will close with the Mighty Max too...it's been done.

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: Because better than 9mpg's and all the tourques?
Similar results could be had by slapping EFI and overdrive on the existing big block, and the hood would close, it won't eat front end parts like candy, the interior won't smell like diesel fuel (all old diesel vehicles inadvertently do), etc. I can see the appeal, but it ain't for me. Diesels belong in displacement hull boats and load haulers.
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/26/15 8:07 a.m.
The0retical wrote:
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to Appleseed: This thing sorta has a hatchback and it sorta could be considered a gran turismo...
God I saw a 3series GT and 5series GT driving back from San Diego the other day. I didn't evern know they existed until I saw the badges on the heinously styled rear end. Does Germany have a subset of drunk redneck engineers like the deep south does?

Huh?? The hatch/fastback looks way better than the sedan version.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/26/15 8:50 a.m.

Just to be different, a mid 70s tbird with the hood that goes on for days. Like what others have said about ol american boats in this thread: sound deadening, seats, lights, brakes, air suspension, efi, o/d,...

sanman
sanman HalfDork
4/26/15 3:58 p.m.

My realistic choices are an sc400 with light suspension mods or a z32 tt 2+2 conversion. Pro touting 87 Monte Carlo would be fun as well.

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
4/26/15 4:31 p.m.

My current car, though you wouldn't think it, actually makes a pretty decent GT car. I have around 7k miles of roadtrips in the Abarth since December. I find the seats very comfy, though it could probably use a 6th cog for highway work.

As a somewhat realistic GT car, I would probably go with one of these:

Not so realistic, I would have to pick a Continental GT V8. Or a GT-RS:

If I was going to build a highway stormer, it would be a C107 450slc. With a coyote and 6spd swap, all new suspension, and a full leather interior with recaro's and upgraded electronics and what not. and have it look like this:

But more understated with body color flares.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/26/15 7:38 p.m.

In reply to WizardDog:

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
4/28/15 12:27 a.m.

Later Porsche 928GT/GTS

...or for fun, a pro-touring/bagged Lincoln Mark IV with an EFI crate motor.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
4/28/15 4:30 a.m.
sesto elemento wrote: The ultimate gt imho is Ferrari FF.

The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the above pic:

"All leather COW interior..."

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
4/28/15 4:34 a.m.

How about a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado...

...for those days when you just HATE your front tires.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
4/28/15 6:43 a.m.

3000gt vr4 or 928S4

Both are great eat up the miles cars at high speeds.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
4/28/15 7:12 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Nick_Comstock wrote:
edizzle89 wrote: this: plus: and tuned to ~ 500 hp & ~1000 lb/ft and a low (numerically) rear gear for high speed cruising.
I've also had these thoughts...
I can get on board with the Caddy, but I'll never understand the fascination around here with oil burners for anything but load haulers

decent fuel economy, super easy to make good power, dead reliable and just cool to see in a car. but dont get me wrong livening up the caddy 500 would also get the job done.

Storz
Storz Dork
4/28/15 9:55 a.m.

Lexus SC400?

Cheap, buttery smooth 300hp V8

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
4/28/15 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Nick_Comstock:

http://www.slcracing.eu/en/default.aspx

I really want to build up an SLC. Unfortunately I have a head full of ideas, and very limited skill and experience. I have a minty 450SL already, but I want the (permanent) hardtop.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9X6waiBRDKbVIl8Vrcg4XLwvlea2ij1nmdCb8mco2fpmPYwYxJ0q4wm6ZcHcoysE