Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/9/22 8:05 a.m.
feature_image

We were well on the way to having our dream two vehicle, especially after choosing the right differential for our F-250. Time for the hard part: actually working on the truck. Let’s get to it.

[Installing a limited slip differential | Project Ford F-250]

Pick Your Battles:  The Realities of Working on a Big Truck

Save for fuel injection …

Read the rest of the story

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/22 8:17 a.m.

Could you expand on what the extra $200 got you in the clutch?  Interested in the tech behind that and what your $$$ is actually paying for.

Tom Suddard
2/9/22 8:52 a.m.

Sure. In theory, for that extra $200 I got more torque capacity vs. the stock clutch. That means it's less likely to slip in high gear, high load, high throttle situations, which this truck sees tons of. I'm eventually planning on installing a Banks kit for more power, so figured a stronger clutch was a good idea. 

How does the clutch actually accomplish the higher torque capacity? Magic voodoo, but mostly it's a combination of clamping force from the pressure plate, and material on the friction disc. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
2/9/22 9:39 a.m.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/9/22 11:16 a.m.

I was going to say that the SD transmissions are pretty robust but you guys managed to buy a truck with a clutch laugh

Tom Suddard
2/9/22 3:11 p.m.

Every cool truck has a manual trans!

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/9/22 3:36 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Every cool truck has a manual trans!

Doesn't sound fun at all when you are crawling in traffic with the trailer laugh

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
2/9/22 4:19 p.m.

I'd take a manual trans truck over an automatic any day of the week.

I've driven PS Fords with a stick in Chicago traffic with no issues.

When your used to using a clutch you don't really mind.

Every daily driver I've ever owned has been a stick. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/22 4:36 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Sure. In theory, for that extra $200 I got more torque capacity vs. the stock clutch. That means it's less likely to slip in high gear, high load, high throttle situations, which this truck sees tons of. I'm eventually planning on installing a Banks kit for more power, so figured a stronger clutch was a good idea. 

How does the clutch actually accomplish the higher torque capacity? Magic voodoo, but mostly it's a combination of clamping force from the pressure plate, and material on the friction disc. 

Thanks Tom!!!

Have you ever thought of a more technical article on clutches?  Something that explains the clamping force and the ways it is applied and friction material and how they interact with each other.  Then there is the lever action of the clutch springs that generate the clamping force as well as the springs that reduce shock loads that are again tied into both the material type and the clamping strings.  In your case, I am betting your needs were very different from say the GRM C5 Corvette that is a light vehicle (relatively speaking) that will want it clamping forces higher up in the up in the RPM range with an already engaged clutch and will have to deal ith the shock loading that high HP can also cause.  I understand it in theory but never have had anyone actually break it down and show it physically or in diagrammatic detail of the actual design of clutches.   

I have always done as you just did.  I try and deal with a reputable manufacturer and describe my use case and then use whatever they sell me.  I am just curious as to the tech behind it.

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
2/9/22 6:02 p.m.

$1000 sounds like a fine bargain for a full rebuild on a ZF-5. 

parker
parker Reader
2/9/22 7:29 p.m.

Hmm, could an F250 manual be swapped into a 2000-2005 Excursion?

Tom Suddard
2/9/22 7:37 p.m.

In reply to parker :

I don't see why not; park them both side by side and there aren't really any didferences forward of the front seats. 

chpjr
chpjr New Reader
2/9/22 10:31 p.m.

Is there an increase in pedal force with the upgraded clutch?

Tom Suddard
2/10/22 3:09 p.m.

Yes, just slightly. If you hadn't driven the truck before, you probably wouldn't notice. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/22 3:50 p.m.

In reply to parker :

Yes, there is a local guy that did one. 

He did a very factory-looking job at the conversion. It sold on Ebay a couple of years ago for stupid money.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/10/22 4:55 p.m.

I have coveted this truck since it first showed up on GRM. This isn't helping. smiley

Keep me in mind when you replace it!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
2/10/22 10:04 p.m.

My diesel Ram 6 speed wasn't fun to drive in the GRM vernacular but was fun in its own way...except being a Chrysler product.   The Banks kit made it more fun and sound fantastic.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
2/11/22 9:26 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I have coveted this truck since it first showed up on GRM. This isn't helping. smiley

Keep me in mind when you replace it!

Me too.  I gave up hoping it would come up for sale.  Just finished the 5 speed swap into a 2001 CCSB V-10 last night.  It's glorious.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
2/11/22 3:55 p.m.

Tom, do you know the diameter of the pilot on the input shaft after machining?  Mine was rougher than the pictures in the article, and all I did was smooth out the high spots with some sandpaper.  I have some noise that I can't identify, but my hunch is input shaft/pilot bearing.

Tom Suddard
2/11/22 3:58 p.m.

In reply to bigeyedfish :

No, but it shouldn't have changed much. It was spun against sandpaper for a split second, with the aim of removing as little material as possible. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/11/22 6:51 p.m.

All looks good to me!

How soon until the Ultimate Tow Vehicle Showdown?

GRM 2001 F-250 vs GRM 2006 E-250 vs GRM 1973 F-350 Ramp Truck

Tom Suddard
2/11/22 7:07 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

Don't forget JG's Tundra! 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/22 9:15 p.m.

I thought the Honda Ridgeline was the ultimate tow vehicle here.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
2/14/22 10:20 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to bigeyedfish :

No, but it shouldn't have changed much. It was spun against sandpaper for a split second, with the aim of removing as little material as possible. 

Hmmm.  Mine would require quite a bit more than that to be smoothed out.  I guess I'll just let it ride until it gets obnoxious and then have the whole thing gone through.

Tom Suddard
2/14/22 10:41 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Shhh, let Tim have that "win."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uanBvjM9WsX2sbL9tYHMDP35fIWtl6AQYPvUJg4G8rlSp6vwMLKzhk8sRfqhuqTM