1 2
grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/18 11:39 p.m.

Saw a model 3 tonight. Honestly, in person that front end is hideous. Run. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
4/30/18 11:40 p.m.

Get the vette.  The C6 is really good, i’d Absolutely get one if I had the means.

ace37
ace37 New Reader
5/1/18 12:19 a.m.

C6 is pretty compelling. Good solid option there.

Caymans / Boxsters at that price point are worth checking out. Front and rear trunks make them surprisingly reasonable for grocery runs and such. That’s probably what I’d end up with. (The C6 would be very tempting though.)

I often hear hot hatches make for fun DDs. They’re not for me but YMMV.

If you want to get yourself into a bit of trouble, maybe check 996 generation 911s and (if a manual isn’t mandatory) the Jaguars and AMG Mercedes options in this price range. Then say your prayers to the car gods every night and everything will be fine.

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
5/1/18 6:51 a.m.

Golf R?

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/1/18 7:20 a.m.

2013+ (B8.5 gen) A4/S4 for a fun sedan. Love mine for a great DD. 

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/1/18 8:28 a.m.

V8 M3

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
5/1/18 8:40 a.m.
racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/1/18 8:45 a.m.

I find 6th Gen 1SS Camaros on CarGurus all the time in the high $20’s.  Every once in a while, I’ll find one around $21k or so.

I have a 2016 1LT V6 with a stick, and my dad just bought a 2018 1LT 2.0t with the auto.  Both handle pretty well but need better tires than the Goodyear all season performance tires (500TW rating) can give.  The 2.0t weighs in at 3300lbs, making it an overdog in it’s auto-x class.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
5/1/18 8:46 a.m.

How much tech do you want?  Obviously the newer the car, the newer the tech but there are some leaps dependent on year.  For instance, factory bluetooth starting coming standard around '11.  Factory streaming bluetooth a few years later.  Apple Car Play standard in most '17-'18. 

For instance, our '15 has streaming bluetooth and its really nice.  My friends '18 GTI has Apple Car Play and its super cool, he also bought the car brand new for $25.5, so that's in your budget.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/1/18 8:55 a.m.

Corvette would be great if back seats are not a requirement. If a back seat shaped object is needed, I'd probably get a Mustang. If the back seat must be functional for more than a short hop, maybe a Challenger as they're one of the biggest pony cars.

smokindav
smokindav Reader
5/1/18 10:41 a.m.

Not sure why you didn’t put the Mustang GT on the list. You should go American. It’s not 1990’s or 2000’s anymore. The newer American stuff like the Corvette, Camaro or Mustang are great now!

Casual Six
Casual Six UltraDork
5/1/18 10:46 a.m.

I know it's a maintenance nightmare, but I'd get a V10 M6.

dj
dj Reader
5/1/18 1:33 p.m.

The mustang I didn't consider because...Camaro SS 1LE. You guys like the Mustang better?

The German cars I've avoided my whole life but I'm tempted by an NA Porsche or BMW. Maybe a 1 series? I'm still too scared to have my only daily be a 996. 

Any other good handling, reliable cars I'm forgetting (excluding miata)?

8valve
8valve Reader
5/1/18 2:14 p.m.

In a manual, I vote used CTSV for the back seats.  I'd like to say... consider the boring reliable GS, but can you even find one with a stick that isn't the weak 2.5?  I don't think you can.  If you can find a deal on the 5 seater Pontiac I'd look at that.  Or the SS sedan, but probably not in range.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
5/1/18 2:27 p.m.
Tyler H said:

V8 M3

This. 10x over

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/1/18 2:31 p.m.

A base 370Z starts under $30k.  Can you get one with nearly zero miles on it for $25k?

Casual Six
Casual Six UltraDork
5/1/18 5:46 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

A base 370Z starts under $30k.  Can you get one with nearly zero miles on it for $25k?

Even better, you can get a CPO Sport (forged wheels, big brakes and LSD) for $25k.

smokindav
smokindav Reader
5/1/18 8:58 p.m.

In reply to MINIzguy :

Isn’t that the M3 that the Mustang with the Coyote engine went head to head with? Yeah, I’d get the much cheaper Mustang vs a BMW with engine issues. You guys need to do more prep work.

dj
dj Reader
5/2/18 1:14 a.m.

Anybody have experience with bmw 1 or 4 series? They look fun. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
5/2/18 4:42 a.m.
smokindav said:

In reply to MINIzguy :

Isn’t that the M3 that the Mustang with the Coyote engine went head to head with? Yeah, I’d get the much cheaper Mustang vs a BMW with engine issues. You guys need to do more prep work.

The M3 also gets abysmal fuel economy for a 4.0L engine. It's EPA rated (normal driving, not aggressive) @ just 14mpg city/20hwy while the Mustang gets 17 city/26hwy.

And the mustang has way more power and torque across the entire powerband.

Stock M3 dyno:

Image result for 08 m3 dyno

Boss 302 dyno:

Image result for 2012 boss 302 dyno

Unless it's going to be considered an investment, the M3 would have to be way better regarding subjective things like steering feel for me to pay the same and end up getting less hp, less torque, less fuel economy, and less reliability. And reviews seem to indicate that it really wasn't better aside from some badge snobbery and interior materials.

smokindav
smokindav Reader
5/2/18 8:36 a.m.

Here’s some info on the E92 BMW M3 rod bearing issue.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/c-392-rod-bearing-kits

Stay away and get a Mustang or Camaro (though I still don’t like GM much do to the whole bankruptcy thing back in 2008-2009). Or a 2002 C5 Corvette Z06 like I’ve got. Pre-bankruptcy of course.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
5/2/18 10:10 a.m.

The 1le may technically turn faster lap times, but I'm more of a fan of the aesthetics of the new Mustang GT's as a daily driver.  

$25K gets you into the 2015+ body style Mustang GT with a manual.  Careful shopping nets a track pack car (better brakes, torsen diff, 3.73's, 19's, etc.) like this:  https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=478698425

...and a little more money nets you one with the fancy Recaros:  https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=482550146

smokindav
smokindav Reader
5/2/18 10:16 a.m.

In reply to xflowgolf :

The 2015+ Mustang GT is awesome! If this guy, or anyone else) wants to spend a little less they can go with a '11-'14 Mustang GT with the 5.0L Coyote. I have a '14 Mustang GT that I used for daily driving and track days - it was awesome! These should run about $15-20,000. The Mustang Boss 302's can be had in the mid-$25,000 range.

smokindav
smokindav Reader
5/2/18 10:19 a.m.

Oh, one thing the new Mustang's (2011 and newer) need is a decent tune which will make the throttle act directly and linearly. Stock they have throttle torque control and such that makes the car feel like a slow terd.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-s550-tuning-guide.html

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
5/2/18 10:27 a.m.

In reply to dj :

When Ford bought Jaguar the build quality went through the roof so much so there were occasions where Jaguar exceeded Toyota for reliability.  Darn few people are aware of that!  

But Toyota reliability at the prices you can buy a Jaguar?  Yes, you should check out the newer Jaguars.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i5tncahdJkAGkZHsxAm6YqygtbCWorkAmHwb8jQmjOUdRBjv17eBvy1XT1RrRF30