1 2
cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/7/09 7:00 p.m.

For me, cash money in my hands or a bank wire transfer. Once the money is in my account, no problems. Might take a day or two for a wire transfer, but rock solid. Anything else is iffy.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
12/7/09 7:07 p.m.
socalwrench wrote: I have successfully sold vehicles via cash, and a signed bank check. I was actually with the buyer as his bank when they made it out to me. After it was made, I immediately went to my bank and deposited it. Considering I knew where the guy lived, I felt comfortable with the 5 day hold. I must admit, however, that I would not accept those circumstances with any buyer. If the deal seems strange, walk away.

if I'm with the buyer at his bank there is no reason whatsoever to give me a check that has a 5 day hold.... if he can pay for a bank check he can give me cash..... I then can get a bank check of my own... I know it's good... and if his bank won't issue me a bank check I can always just open an account with the cash... clean it out later and close the account

wbjones
wbjones Reader
12/7/09 7:10 p.m.
Cotton wrote: I prefer cash and push for it, but I have done a cashier's check from a known bank. Another thing to think of..... the law requires the financial institution that receives a deposit of more than $10,000 to submit a Currency Transaction Report (CTR) to the Treasury, so you may want to deposit less than 10k at a time if you do get cash.

you really wouldn't have any thing to worry about if your transaction/deposit was legitimate, the CTR is to discourage money laundering/drug deals...

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
12/7/09 7:43 p.m.

A few years ago I was selling a ski boat. Guy comes to look at it, no plans to dump it in the water for a test drive, just to look it over. He offers me $10k as he pulls a wad $100's out of his pocket. Shocked me at the time, but from there on out, that's the only way I sell cars. I also make a copy of the buyers drivers license and have them sign a bill of sale in addition to the title.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
12/7/09 8:50 p.m.

Do you take payments in the form of Miatas? If so, let's talk.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
12/7/09 8:52 p.m.

When I sold my Z3, I found that my bank treats bank checks just like personal checks if they are over $5,000. A check that would have been cleared immediately instead took 15 days (I left that bank for just that reason--those berkeleyers).

For the record, it was Citizens Bank. I'm boycotting them. berkeley 'em.

calteg
calteg New Reader
12/7/09 10:17 p.m.

As everyone else has said, go to the bank. They are far, far better equipped to spot fraudulent payment than you are.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/8/09 12:07 a.m.
Wally wrote: Cash, or possibly a few Rib A Cue sandwiches in the case of my Cavalier. NEVER a check from Jersey http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ssf/2009/12/hoboken_jeep_transaction.html A 25-year-old was supposed to receive $38,350 for his black 2008 Jeep Cherokee, police said. According to police reports, the man had posted his Jeep for sale on Craigslist and received a phone call on Nov. 27th from a man who identified himself as Scott Whitaker, police said. After multiple phonecalls, Whitaker's son Matthew was supposed to hand overt the check on Sunday afternoon on 14th Street in Hoboken, police said. The check for $38.350 turned out to be false. No arrests were made and the car has not been found, according to police. Police said the case is still under investigation.

No such thing as a 2008 Jeep Cherokee.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/8/09 12:21 a.m.
confuZion3 wrote: Do you take payments in the form of Miatas? If so, let's talk.

Sure. I'll totally trade my M Coupe for a Spec Miata and the vehicle you're towing it with.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
12/8/09 9:15 a.m.
wbjones wrote: cash, at your bank... you can deposit it immediately... and as said earlier you both are safe.....

It's the only way.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/09 10:18 a.m.

If I were buying a car with cash, I would meet the seller at my gun club.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/8/09 12:29 p.m.

I never go into a car purchase alone. I make sure that if I know there is going to be a cash transaction, I have trusted associates with me. What those associates have with them, is up to them.... bought a few cars in cash now, with no issues.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
12/8/09 3:48 p.m.

one thing I've done is insist on cash and meeting at my or their bank.... when I was buying I brought cash but had a friend carry the money and didn't appear to be associated with me in any way.... turned out there would have been some trouble if I had had the cash on me... they met me outside the bank and things seemed to be headed towards the crapper until I mentioned that a friend actually had the money and was already inside the bank... they left ... I didn't get the car...

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/8/09 4:16 p.m.
wbjones wrote: one thing I've done is insist on cash and meeting at my or their bank.... when I was buying I brought cash but had a friend carry the money and didn't appear to be associated with me in any way.... turned out there would have been some trouble if I had had the cash on me... they met me outside the bank and things seemed to be headed towards the crapper until I mentioned that a friend actually had the money and was already inside the bank... they left ... I didn't get the car...

That's actually a REALLY good idea.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UoR0Z3j0DED55YgGbr0TgLfH0Q9cIAhF8mEBB8duSQ4Z0lP4AQYDAjZk9KZBbKmn