1 2 3
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/12 8:53 p.m.

All this talk about automatic transmissions but I haven't seen you do it yet.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/12 9:48 p.m.

That's because the only problem with a bridge ported 13B is that the alternator drag from the fans engaging makes the idle drop 500rpm. I know from experience that an engine like this needs a 3000 stall speed converter at a minimum, preferably 4000 or more, just so you don't have to run the idle up to absurd levels and then have to two-foot the brake when it's stopped in gear.

Ever price out a performance converter for an import transmission? I have, and the numbers are shocking to say the least.

There's the other complicating factor that you don't want your stall speed to be higher than your highway cruise RPM unless you are a fan of high fluid temps. I'm cruising around 2700-2800. So a loose converter is a no-go right there.

Now, on the other hand, if you have a low-revving piston engine that has weeny cam lobes, you don't need the expensive converter and you can just make do with factory. And automatic + turbo = seamless boost since you don't have to lift to shift.

But, well, you know me and turbos, so that's a non starter. BUT were I to change my mind on that, well, you'd see different things.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/25/12 10:22 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Get an F2T and throw a boost controller at it ONLY and you'll reverse those numbers at about 12psi. To the wheels.
Everyone likes their own thing, and that's cool and all. One of the local-ish guys put the B2000 Diesel in an FB. Like the F2T engine, it bolts right up to a B2000/2200 transmission. I'm unfamiliar with the hood clearance of an FC vs. an FB, but he needed to hack a sizeable hole in his hood for the front of the engine to clear. He undid it a while after putting it all together because it sucked (note: the dude also has a Ford F-series Diesel and a Mercedes 300SD) but point is: Will an F2T even fit under the hood? A BP barely fits under an FB hood. And then unless you get all complicated with making something else fit, your only bolt-on transmission solution is the smoothcase, which seems like can puke its guts out with far less torque than that. Granted, it's a fun game to see how quickly you can swap transmissions (I think I have it down to 40 minutes) but after the fifth or sixth time it gets a little old. Now, if one were to use the JATCO automatic... hey where's everyone going?

It won't fit under the hood of an FB. Much easier/closer under the hood of an FC.

Trans solution is a T2 trans with a B2200 front bell.

Or a Miata 6spd. Might have to do some work to the input shaft. Bolt pattern is pretty much already set to go. Just finish drilling two holes that are already started in the bell.

Knurled
7/26/12 12:33 p.m.

Smoothcase transmissions don't HAVE bellhousings, while T2 transmissions do. That's the problem, they are two different species of transmission with no cross-pollination possible.

Note that the B2600 DID use the ribcase (T2) unit, and Mazda used a Mitsu 2.6 for a couple years, and yes, people have bolted together 4G63 turbo FCs like this.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/26/12 12:34 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Smoothcase transmissions don't HAVE bellhousings, while T2 transmissions do. That's the problem, they are two different species of transmission with no cross-pollination possible. Note that the B2600 DID use the ribcase (T2) unit, and Mazda used a Mitsu 2.6 for a couple years, and yes, people have bolted together 4G63 turbo FCs like this.

So put a different transmission on it... i don't really see the issue.

I would never take OUT a nice-running rotary to put in an F2T, but if i have a hulk of an RX7, i'm not real worried about keeping the original numbers-matching smoothcase.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/26/12 4:13 p.m.

Due to some family matters I am not going to be able to get this car. I have to focus my attention to some other matters. The owner is going to start disassembly in the next week or so and part it. However if anyone was interested I can pass your name / contact info along. the car is in southern NH. I have not actually seen it but I have known the owner for 10+ years and he is a strait shooter about things.

Maybe it is just meant to be that my gold 86 will show up and I will get that one.

Knurled
7/26/12 4:43 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: So put a different transmission on it... i don't really see the issue.

That's just the issue - no other RWD trans bolts up to an F-engine but the smoothcase.

So, you be fabbin'. And, IMO, if you're not married to a particular engine or transmission, an option that doesn't require fabbing or hunting down a rare and much-sought-after bellhousing (the Mitsu-to-Mazda bell, only used in '87 and '88)... you see where I'm going?

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/26/12 5:07 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: So put a different transmission on it... i don't really see the issue.
That's just the issue - no other RWD trans bolts up to an F-engine but the smoothcase. So, you be fabbin'. And, IMO, if you're not married to a particular engine or transmission, an option that doesn't require fabbing or hunting down a rare and much-sought-after bellhousing (the Mitsu-to-Mazda bell, only used in '87 and '88)... you see where I'm going?

Miata 6spd.

Unless "spending 10 minutes drilling out two holes that are already there" is too much fabbin'.

For what it's worth, there's other options that don't really require fabbing so much as "playing with legos."

And the B2200 trans has proven to be capable of withstanding ~300whp F2Ts swapped into B2200 trucks. VERY common swap in the "I have an MX6 GT but hate this motor in FWD form" world.

More information will be found on the Miata side. Where an FE3 goes, an F2T goes.

But yes, it's still some work.

I don't pretend to understand every bit of this.... but: http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-other-performance/235605-mx-7-build-reborn.html

I will do an F2T miata or Rx7 some day... just because it would sound terrible and be fairly obnoxious to drive.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
7/26/12 7:44 p.m.

I think the F2T sounds really cool. I love its rorty character.

If I was going to do an F2T-in-RX7, I would put it in an FD. It may sound silly, but I think the vintage feel of the F2T would actually suit the FD well, in a 50s LeMans sports-racer sort of way.

I have taken measurements on my FD and spare F2T and believe I could make it fit under an unmolested stock hood if I fab'd a custom pan, trimmed the PCV bump off of the valve cover, and used a custom intake manifold that didn't rise above the valve cover.

250HP and 300+ torques with 30mpg on the highway wouldn't be so bad either.

Knurled
7/26/12 8:30 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: And the B2200 trans has proven to be capable of withstanding ~300whp F2Ts swapped into B2200 trucks.

It's the same transmission as nonturbo RX-7 or 5-speed Miata. Actually, the gearset looks like it's the same one as in 1st-gens.

It'a a crapshoot. I've heard of people having them live behind 350whp turbo 13Bs. I've heard of people going through them regularly with 250hp turbo 13Bs.

And then there's this guy, who breaks them with 180hp/140ft-lb of torque.

I still have yet to take apart the last one I exploded. I found myself unable to use anything but 4th gear, and then trying to use Reverse resulted in the transmission locking up. I have a feeling that I blew the 5th/Reverse cluster off of the countershaft.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/26/12 10:33 p.m.

Well i suppose there hasn't been THAT many high power F2T B2200s.

The most recent one that i knew of was surviving 32psi from a Holset HE351VE. I wonder what THAT felt like in a small light truck.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gLVgWDvXQDa1XVStXm58U3qb8zDT4ScN0ldIdzu7HAcY3EIJaDQ01XVCVGoIgmEA