drainoil
drainoil Reader
8/7/15 11:28 a.m.

It's the Honda d15z1 that came stock in Civic VX's=really good mpgs. Basically the car has rusted away to the point the subframe and parts of the suspension will soon be unsafe.

This little mill runs great and the factory 5 spd shifts great. I had thought about finding another same gen Civic and swapping in this combo. What sounds more fun is trying to find something unusual and make this combo fit/work. I'm not thinking in terms of GRM track car ilk, as this set-up was built for low rev high mpg use, but rather something like an old VW bus, garden or farm tractor, or even use it to power a snowblower (yes some guys have used v8s to do this lol).

I even had a sick vision of trying to fit this combo into an old 70s era Dart/Duster (think freeway eco cruiser?) My old '74 slant six Dart was rated around 100 hp which isn't far from what this is rated at. However the fwd/rwd thing could be overburdensome.

I'm open to most anything unusual. I do have access to some fabrication equipment and someone who knows how to use them for what it's worth.

Looking for some ideas for a fun winter project.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/7/15 11:30 a.m.

Buy one of those X1/9's that was posted up here last week. Weld. Enjoy.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
8/7/15 11:38 a.m.

I've often wondered what a mk1 Insight would be like with the IMA system removed and a lean-burn D-series in its place.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/15 11:41 a.m.

If you can find a rust free crx shell, that's the answer, super high mpg and the bonus of auto-x fun even if you're not looking for that.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/7/15 11:52 a.m.

Lots of people put D series engines in classic Minis.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/7/15 12:08 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Buy one of those X1/9's that was posted up here last week. Weld. Enjoy.

This seems like a good idea.

Anything small like that.

On the Mini trend get a Marcos kit and put the engine in that.

I am honestly curious if any company makes replicas of these kits.

edit: apparently http://www.rory.uk.com/

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/7/15 12:09 p.m.

Find a good running automatic CRX, add this and your clutch pedal to the rear wheels. Enjoy.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
8/7/15 12:52 p.m.

You like a rust free but very high mile VX to bolt it into? A friend mine who been in commuting around northern California in hers for 20 years is thinking about selling hers and getting something new.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/7/15 12:54 p.m.

www.midlana.com

kb58
kb58 Dork
8/7/15 3:10 p.m.

Hah, beat me to it, bgkast

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
8/7/15 4:35 p.m.

All these suggestions are expensive. A buddy put one in his buggy kart. Look for a stout built one, like a hammerhead. Toss that d15 and cable tranny in and have a CRAHAYZY fun time.

Desy
Desy New Reader
8/8/15 3:44 a.m.

Worse case, pull the motor/trans/ecu/wires and sell it. Then scrap the car.

Or maybe find a rolling chassis EF sedan or hatch.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/8/15 6:14 a.m.

Corvair!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
8/8/15 7:44 a.m.

I will suggest a FB or FC RX-7 with a blown rotary or with the engine removed already.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
8/8/15 8:10 a.m.

Find a CVCC or Honda 600 and stuff it in there.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
8/8/15 8:12 a.m.

I'll bet you could sell it pretty easily on EcoModder.com.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/8/15 8:52 a.m.

Trike?

Electric vehicle pusher trailer?

I wasn't going to mention looking at this because it didn't go anywhere, but just because I've watched too many junkyard wars-type television, I looked up pitching machines. You know, since you have something that rotates two wheels, and you're looking for something different. It looks like they run on a 1/4hp electric motor. Scaling up to bowling balls really only yields about 13hp as a requirement.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
8/8/15 12:08 p.m.
LopRacer wrote: Find a CVCC or Honda 600 and stuff it in there.

That would be the coolest if they aren't all returned to the earth where you are.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
8/8/15 12:33 p.m.

ACVW is a good choice, pretty sure you can get an adapter plate for that.

old_
old_ Reader
8/8/15 12:38 p.m.

first gen crx hf (if you can find one) would be sweet.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
8/9/15 10:46 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: ACVW is a good choice, pretty sure you can get an adapter plate for that.

I'm getting Volkswagen out of this, however what's the AC?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/9/15 10:47 a.m.

Air cooled

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/9/15 10:48 a.m.

In reply to drainoil:

Air Cooled?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
8/9/15 1:50 p.m.

Air Cooled Volkswagen, they all run the same transmission bell pattern. I'm pretty sure you can get a D series>VW adapter plate, and the VW motor spins the same way IIRC, if not, reversing the rotation of a VW trans axle is so easy people do it on accident.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kke4CAlbxD74wgSDlKLmK2ixUhs79mAH5wkVzVoD0FGgkyEkuVpXLfChcCam6Zj3