redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
7/30/13 12:48 p.m.

What would you drive in the event of the apocalypse. My mind immediately goes to a properly lifted and kitted-out TJ Wrangler, or an 8th Generation (like a '90 or '91) Suburban, also properly lifted, though it doesn't need it.

Though, then there is the issue of gas....

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
7/30/13 12:53 p.m.

http://www.wheels.ca/news/l-a-auto-show-mercedes-benz-suv-ready-for-zombie-apocalypse/

It's hydrogen-powered

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/30/13 12:54 p.m.

Late '80s or early '90s 4runner with solid axles, lifted (mostly with BIG TARS), Merc OM61x swapped. It'll run on petrodiesel, biodiesel, WVO or jet fuel.

Good luck finding electronic fiddly bits or hydrogen for the Merc above (seems that the roof system only collects water and not solar energy, so it still needs another power source)

I guess you could charge it with a solar-powered water separator...maybe just hook up lots of those solar maintenance chargers to it

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
7/30/13 12:57 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
7/30/13 12:58 p.m.
Lesley wrote: http://www.wheels.ca/news/l-a-auto-show-mercedes-benz-suv-ready-for-zombie-apocalypse/ It's hydrogen-powered

They should make it methane powered, then when you E36 M3 yourself at the site of the zombies you are making your own fuel.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
7/30/13 1:01 p.m.

I E36 M3 myself at the thought of zombies.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
7/30/13 1:04 p.m.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/30/13 1:04 p.m.
Lesley wrote: http://www.wheels.ca/news/l-a-auto-show-mercedes-benz-suv-ready-for-zombie-apocalypse/ It's hydrogen-powered

That's funny, because it's true, Lesley did write that - literally.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/30/13 1:06 p.m.

More of the world is covered in water, and Zombies can't swim.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/30/13 1:07 p.m.
oldtin wrote:

Decent choice for a plane. Good ability to use zombie-infested runways and excellent durability, but poor cargo capacity and efficiency, and turbine maintenance isn't too DIY-friendly.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/30/13 1:09 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: More of the world is covered in water, and Zombies can't swim.

Fine. If we're going that route, why not a submarine-yacht> http://www.businessinsider.com/luxury-submarine-yacht-pictures-2013-6?op=1

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/30/13 1:25 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: More of the world is covered in water, and Zombies can't swim.

But (theoretically) they can walk on the bottom, if not float along. I've read my Zombie Survival Guide, I know my E36 M3, yo.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/30/13 1:51 p.m.

M35A2 full of guns, ammo, fuel, food, etc. Runs on any flammable liquid. Just drive north till you hit permafrost, zombies freeze, you win.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
7/30/13 1:52 p.m.

Mil-Spec K-blazer, aka CUCV. It's much easier to make your own Diesel fuel than gasoline.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
7/30/13 2:21 p.m.

In reply to EvanR: CUCV's are tough, i have it on good authority that they are capable of 130+ on the autobahn..

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/30/13 2:40 p.m.

Non-turbo Forester with push bars. Decent on gas, AWD, non-turbo for reliability and simplicity. But for better simplicity and parts availability: XJ Cherokee.

Whatever the right answer is, it's almost certainly some kind of wagon. Unless, of course, it's a boat.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/30/13 2:43 p.m.

I'm going with the cockroach of automobiles:

beans
beans Reader
7/30/13 3:24 p.m.

Grand Cherokee. V8. Solid Axles. Decently quick/nimble. Zillions on/off the road.

Add some A/T's, body armor, lots of lights everywhere. Done.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
7/30/13 3:35 p.m.

BTW didn't we do this once before?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/30/13 3:37 p.m.

I'd take a nice overland-build XJ Cherokee.

And i'll get on board with the yacht idea as well.

E36 M3, i kinda just want to live on a boat of some kind even without zombies.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
7/30/13 3:42 p.m.

An armored truck or APC would be the way to go, as long as you had enough fuel.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
7/30/13 3:53 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: M35A2 full of guns, ammo, fuel, food, etc. Runs on any flammable liquid. Just drive north till you hit permafrost, zombies freeze, you win.

You'll want the shelter version (M109). Zombies can chew through canvas, so add a hardtop for the driver.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mwVUcQLkbtTcz0yf2m4qzZXJeoUrhIRZccYxtEsXK9zJQp5vEqtBxx7kgCyHNKcM