1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/8/17 11:35 a.m.
Indy-Guy wrote: It's older than your target range, but the 1994 thru 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagons fits the bill. Bonus these years come standard with the 275hp LT1 engine. You can get the nicest one in the country for less than 6,000, and then add the other 4,000 into per-emptively fixing anything you might feel needs maintenance. I REALLY love my 1995 White Whale: You find REALLY nice examples in the 3,000 range here, or look further south.

I came in here to post just this. Grab one, update the driveline (LS3/6L80), update suspension and done.

STM317
STM317 Dork
5/8/17 11:40 a.m.
FlightService wrote: The rear leg room of the Flex gives it an advantage. The idea of finding PP parts for the Explorer brings it back in line... Special Service Explorer for the win!

I believe they're the same platform, so it wouldn't shock me if things like springs, sway bars, etc could be interchangeable. If you find you like the Flex more than the Explorer, maybe you could outfit it with the PoliceInterceptor parts.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
5/8/17 1:23 p.m.

Odyssey is really nice to drive. I don't need one, don't really like vans, but when I drive a 3rd gen that a buddy of mine bought off his grandparents I am always happy with the experience. Maybe SWMBO can be coaxed after giving one a test drive? I always thought the 2nd gen with the j35 + 6 speed swap from an Acura CL-S would be interesting.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/8/17 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

I had one for 1 day and sold it. Well the Caprice version. That was a long time ago.

Dr Ribs Revere
Dr Ribs Revere Reader
5/8/17 3:08 p.m.

Toyota Venza

Acura ZDX (aka Honda CrossTour)

Subaru Outback/ Legacy Wagon

Subaru Forester

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/8/17 3:30 p.m.
Robbie wrote: Well I was right but NOT BY MUCH!! Surprising!

Yeah I wouldn't have guessed that either. The Flex just looks so much bigger. I would guess with the mediocre sales, having a similar size in the Explorer, the Flex has its writing on the wall.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
5/8/17 3:34 p.m.
FlightService wrote:
fanfoy wrote:
oldrotarydriver wrote: Ford Flex. Yeah, it ain't pretty in the aero dept., don't know what it does for power, but I watch a 6'6" colleague emerge painlessly from one each and every morning.
^^^^this If you want something wagonish, it's an SUV. Big wagons are dead. If you could accept a sedan, there are much more options, like: 2007+ Volvo S80 V8 2nd gen Charger or Chrysler 300 Taurus SHO
S80 V8....hummmmm. We do have a Volvo dealership in town. Need to check out how friendly they are. The new Taurus is a no go. I don't know how but Ford made that thing big on the outside and tiny on the inside. Opposite of the Tardis. I do not want a truck, I do not want a van, I do not want a real SUV though Tall I am. I like my gas milegage, I like it very much. So you can shove your cab on frame designs way up up up.

The Volvo also comes with a 3500# tow rating (if that is important to you). The only sedan to still come with a decent tow rating (as far as I know)

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
5/8/17 3:35 p.m.
Dr Ribs Revere wrote: Toyota Venza Acura ZDX (aka Honda CrossTour) Subaru Outback/ Legacy Wagon Subaru Forester

I always forget about the Venza. It's a Camry wagon. Probably more practical than the CrossTour. Although I'm sure the Honda is more connected feeling.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/17 4:05 p.m.

Bam! Sorry, but it is as close as it gets to a Lexus Wagon. 365hp. AWD.

You're laughing, but as soon as you drive one you are going to fall in love.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/8/17 4:08 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

I don't mind a Flex with a factory body kit. What is interesting is I can find them for the same price or cheaper than the Flex.

tdisalvo
tdisalvo New Reader
5/8/17 8:02 p.m.

As a 6'-3" guy whose wife drives a Flex, I'm going to wave you off. I find her car moderately uncomfortable to drive for any extended period of time. Aside from a high step-over, the foot box is narrow and the gas / brake / dead pedals are squeezed together and closer to the seat cushion than one might expect. I can't imagine comfort would improve if I had longer legs.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/9/17 6:05 a.m.
tdisalvo wrote: As a 6'-3" guy whose wife drives a Flex, I'm going to wave you off. I find her car moderately uncomfortable to drive for any extended period of time. Aside from a high step-over, the foot box is narrow and the gas / brake / dead pedals are squeezed together and closer to the seat cushion than one might expect. I can't imagine comfort would improve if I had longer legs.

Well, crap.

I wonder if the peddle box of the Exploder is any bigger.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/17 7:07 a.m.
FlightService wrote:
tdisalvo wrote: As a 6'-3" guy whose wife drives a Flex, I'm going to wave you off. I find her car moderately uncomfortable to drive for any extended period of time. Aside from a high step-over, the foot box is narrow and the gas / brake / dead pedals are squeezed together and closer to the seat cushion than one might expect. I can't imagine comfort would improve if I had longer legs.
Well, crap. I wonder if the peddle box of the Exploder is any bigger.

As a 5'10" guy, I can't comment on the fit but it sounds too small. The pedal box is probably larger than the peddle box though.

I used to work with a few people who were well over 6' tall, some over 6'6". They all drove Buick sedans, and said that they had the most room. Or maybe the seats went back the furthest.

Can you wait till 2018?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
5/9/17 7:09 a.m.

I'm dailying a V70 at the moment, and I have to say it's a darn nice place to spend time. Those seats....

I'm only 6', and have the seat up fairly far. They're really not that big on the outside—it's about the same length as the fiancée's E46 as far as I can tell.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/9/17 7:14 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: ...fiancée's...

Wait - are some congratulations in order?

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/9/17 8:49 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Can you wait till 2018?

Financially new cars almost never make sense. So I should wait until 2019 so I can get one after 40% depreciation. LOL

But yeah, the new Buick wagon is a sexy beast.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/9/17 8:54 a.m.
Dr Ribs Revere wrote: Toyota Venza Acura ZDX (aka Honda CrossTour)

Not sure you'll be able to fit a 6' kid in the back seat of a Zero Demand eXpected, but the Venza might work. I'd probably be looking for an exceptionally clean and low mileage Dodge Magnum in this situation, myself.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
5/9/17 1:50 p.m.

It might take you a minute to find one but my B6 Passat wagon VR6 4motion is amazingly spacious and no slouch in either a straight line (governed to 130.....on a closed course obviously) and turning (raw timed a factory 5 cobra at the autocross).

My brother is 6' and 300ish lbs and fits fine in the front seats. Good leg room in the rear as well.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/10/17 11:28 a.m.

Since you're considering Lexus LS's I'll throw in another vote for a GS. They're much more attractive inside and out (in my opinion), comfortable for 4 adults, have fuel economy options ranging from very good to still better than the LS, and are mostly fast (unless you get the early gs300 that was quickly discontinued). They fall perfectly into your 10-17k range.

I think if you can go find a GS460 (which isnt easy) and drive it, you'll be surprised.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
5/10/17 11:35 a.m.

I recently purchased a 2014 Acura TL CPO with 12k miles. I am sillier size 6'4" and boys that are 6 and 6'1". has all the bells and whistles should fit the bill. It was just under $20k

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nScEswXTTdARgrWddrQhk24MSv5UspnWoaPabM0F2mAMEqP4dQwleffqUK1T7mqo