1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
4/12/18 9:14 a.m.

I can honestly answer this one. And truly say I would in fact go out TODAY and purchase one of these:  1) a pick up truck the size of a subcompact car (or based on a compact car chassis!) 

2) a true recreation of the 240z. And by true, I mean “not that ugly E36 M3 we have today”. That means straight six, stick in the center console, and freaking sugar scoops, with round headlights!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
4/12/18 9:17 a.m.

In reply to turtl631 :  I had an Allroad for a while (hence the screen name) and while it had a bazillion things to break, it was an awesome car.  Now we have a B6 Passat VR6 4Motion.  Again, awesome car.  Roomy midsize, crazy high capability to cover ground rapidly in any weather, 300 hp, comfortable.  But again it suffers from the VAG curse of little things failing and ruining the experience.

Why can't the reliable companies (Honda, Toyota, Ford) make something like that?  Mid sized, powerful enough without being a CTS-V, RWD or rear biased AWD.  And slotted into a lower more understated body than most of the SUVs out there.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
4/12/18 9:23 a.m.

Is that what the new V90 wagon is?

BlueInGreen44 - Jon
BlueInGreen44 - Jon SuperDork
4/12/18 9:26 a.m.

Imagine a V8 4-door Mustang fastback (might as well make it a dog-hauling wagon since we're dreaming here). Give it grown up styling, a Lincoln badge, switchable "awful Midwestern road" suspension setting, and a comfy interior.  If I were making enough $$ to afford a nice car one of those would be in my driveway.

BlueInGreen44 - Jon
BlueInGreen44 - Jon SuperDork
4/12/18 9:28 a.m.
Trackmouse said:

1) a pick up truck the size of a subcompact car (or based on a compact car chassis!) 

Also this.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/12/18 9:29 a.m.

Back in 2014 at the New York Auto Show, VW had a Golf Sport Wagon Concept.  TDI 6 Spd MT. Essentially the spiritual successor to my 2003 TDI wagon.  The car on display was even a great blue.  Damn I wanted that car....  Then the "diesel-gate" debacle happened... 

Right now, there are plenty of cars out there that I like, but none that I'm really willing to go into a ton of debt for.  

What would I be really tempted to sign half my life away for right now?  A diesel "B-Plus" RV toy hauler, with about 6' of rear cargo space, diesel genset & heater, full dry bath and kitchen with dining and sleeping space, can tow a 20' enclosed car trailer and is around $100K. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/12/18 9:34 a.m.
buzzboy said:

I've always maintained that the 80s/90s produced the best looking cars. What if car companies would take their powerful and efficient new drivetrains and put them in spitting image replicas(none of this "retro" nonsense) of 80s and 90s cars. Give me a 5.0(or better 3.5TT) Fox Body Notch, an LS3 3rd Gen Camaro, an OM651 190D, an N20 318Ti  and maybe a K24 EG Hatch or any other good looking 80s/90s car with modern tech.

This is kind of a generational thing...if you go to other gearhead web boards you'll find older guys saying the same thing about how they'd love to have a modern tech 1957 Chevy.

That said, my daily drivers are a pair of 1980s BMWs; they meet all my needs and still look great, chances are I'll keep driving them until they put me in the old folks home.  smiley

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/12/18 9:37 a.m.

George Jetson copter thing

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/12/18 9:42 a.m.

In reply to dropstep :

Audi, Volkswagen, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes all have one.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
4/12/18 9:44 a.m.

Old_Town
Old_Town New Reader
4/12/18 9:59 a.m.

A simple, compact, 4WD, four-seat pickup that doesn't cost $30K+ new... My dream was the last Ranger in double cab like the rest of the world used.    

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/12/18 10:03 a.m.
kb58 said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:
maschinenbau said:

In this thread - Cars we would buy 5-10 years used after they don't sell at all because people who buy new cars would never buy them

In my defense, I ponied up a deposit on an Aerowagon within a week of the announcement. The fact that they didn't build it and canceled the order is their fault...

No, that was a business decision due to them thinking the produce was bad for the bottom line. Big difference.

I put it to you that this is a decision that should have been made prior to accepting deposits. In any case, I think the central point is that we are talking about whether people will actually step up to buy something, and Mazdeuce clearly did, and didn't get the opportunity to complete the transaction through no fault of his own.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/12/18 10:06 a.m.

I want a TDI Sportwagen with an option delete on the egregious display of bad behavior from the manufacturer. I'll happily take the small hits in performance/efficiency and/or the few hundred dollars for a urea injection system.

For seriousness, we were literally scheduled to hit the VW dealership the next weekend when the news landed.

Yes, still pissed.

Mood raised slightly be seeing half-reasonably-priced BMW wagons on Carmax...

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
4/12/18 10:10 a.m.

I want my 1992 GEO Storm GSI in red body with black an gray interior.  I truly miss that car it had good power to weight ratio and great mileage and never left me stranded in the 340,000 miles i put on it.

66-77 Bronco would be next. Miss my early 69 model.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/12/18 10:12 a.m.
Ransom said:
kb58 said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:
maschinenbau said:

In this thread - Cars we would buy 5-10 years used after they don't sell at all because people who buy new cars would never buy them

In my defense, I ponied up a deposit on an Aerowagon within a week of the announcement. The fact that they didn't build it and canceled the order is their fault...

No, that was a business decision due to them thinking the produce was bad for the bottom line. Big difference.

I put it to you that this is a decision that should have been made prior to accepting deposits. In any case, I think the central point is that we are talking about whether people will actually step up to buy something, and Mazdeuce clearly did, and didn't get the opportunity to complete the transaction through no fault of his own.

That and they eventually did build it. You can buy one now. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/12/18 10:12 a.m.
Gasoline said:

I don't even know what this is, but I want one. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
4/12/18 10:18 a.m.

Much of what I want is actually made, just never imported here to the USA.  Like an Audi RS4 wagon, or Audi RS6 wagon, or Toyota turbo diesel SUV's/pickups. 

I would've bought a Cadillac CTS-V 6MT wagon if I'd been able to order it with AWD. 

I'm waiting to see what the Wrangler pick up is like.  I'd like a 4 door crew cab, short box pickup that's a turbo diesel.  Gotta be short enough to still fit in my garage, which none of the current 1/2 ton crew cab short box pickups do.  They're all enormous now.

TR7
TR7 Reader
4/12/18 10:24 a.m.

Id like the mustang/camaro to just be a hatchback already. I hate small trunk openings.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/18 10:34 a.m.

The Chevy Sonic.  GM has the engineering chops to put more horsepower into this motor and include a 1LE handling package.  If the FiST is going away, we will need another world-class hot hatch in the US.  

The Buick Regal Tour.  I don't want the Outback version, I want the slick Euro wagon version.  Put some GS bits on it too and it would be my replacement for the Rondo. 

The Chevy Cruize SS. Even a base Camaro is getting pretty expensive, why can't they offer an SS version of the Cruize?  The last one had an amazing chassis, the current model is pretty darn sweet as-is, can't be too hard to put some stink on it!  Include the wagon version and that would be a winner. (at least here) 

VW Polo GTI - The GTI is now a $35K car, I want the Polo with the 210hp motor and LSD for $21K.  Its basic parts-shelf engineering people!  Make up for the whole diesel thing and sell it for $17K you darn Krauts! 

Ford Flex Ecoboost - You can only get the EcoBoost on the top range models which are $60K.  I want cloth seats that wear like iron, no power seats, no entertainment screens, no power liftgates, nothing that adds tons of weight.  I want Ecoboost, AWD and a sport suspension and I want it for $35K. 

Jeep Compass Trackhawk - $85K for the GC Trackhawk?  No thanks, I'll take the Hemi you put in millions of Chargers and trucks in the smaller Compass thank you.  Or even a big 6 or turbo 4, make it a baby Trackhawk for ballers on a budget. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
4/12/18 10:38 a.m.

Whatever the cheapest awd wagon available now is, but with a manual transmission and built into a Rampage/Brat/El Camino. Less windows, airbags, interior bits should wash out the materials cost for the body work, so the price would have to be reasonably close to the wagon price. Bonus for 30+mpg, double bonus for 35+, and I would take a 401k loan and pay cash tomorrow if it was 40+mpg highway. 

I'd parts bin my own out of a first gen transit connect if I could figure out the manual transmission awd recipe. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/12/18 10:39 a.m.

Just make me a new Leaf or Bolt for <$10k and I'll buy one*

* 2 years later when it depreciates to $4k.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
4/12/18 11:01 a.m.
Ransom said:

In a perfect world, agreed, they shouldn't have accepted deposits. But given that he got all his money back, I guess I just don't see this as anything other than a "first-world problem", move on and get something else. I swear, people blow the smallest issues into big catastrophes. Save that for life's real problems.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
4/12/18 11:03 a.m.

Truthfully, most of what we want would sit on the lots without being sold.  I think its safe to say we are the automotive equivalent of the strange boyfriend your daughter brings home. 

That said, I'd love a slightly larger ND with a fixed roof.  It's current size makes it an absolute no go for me.  Of course I always said if someone built a small hardtop coupe that was decent I would buy one.  And of course buy one I did when the BRZ came out, but it wasn't the car for me after all.  Given my advancing years, maybe what I really want is a modern Delta 88.  crying

Seriously, I think ditching the electronic steering and going with a decent hydrolic rack would be my choice on most any car.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
4/12/18 11:04 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Agree about the Sonic and Cruze.

We have a Sonic and out of the box it really handles, but 140 HP? It's 2018, it should be a lot closer to 200 in a package like that, though that's only a tune away.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE New Reader
4/12/18 11:22 a.m.

Pontiac returns.

Chrysler and Mitsubishi join forces in an attempt to build a sporty, cheap successor to the Mitsubishi Mirage, ending up in reigniting the DSM cars- branded the Chrysler Talon and Mitsubishi Eclipse, they are hot hatchbacks that come  standard with a FWD turbo 4-cylinder that is upgradable to AWD, but notably have an AWD electric version using the same technologies grown out of the 2018 Outlander. Thanks to lower costs with established technologies and government incentives, the Eclipse/Talon E begin competing with the GT86/BRZ in cost making one of the first, cheap electric hot hatchbacks.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E98qffA3JjvwlA61oJkE639ILnCnfPCwDpgVym5BCQYgghZCQOZYQsnRH3JwJ7Zj