Carter
Carter
11/25/08 9:22 a.m.

Wanted to get your opinions on my 03 WRX 122,000, it needs a wheel bearing, circa $400 plus the big service at $700 and then should be pretty good for a while. Rear pads just replaced, timing belt etc all done. I have a 140 round trip each day, am I on the slipper slope to more and more repair bills or should I think about a change?

It is always nice to think about a new to me car but no car payments especially at the moment seem a better bet.. My thoughts are get the repairs done and run it through the winter at the very least, then see how things are looking with GM and the economy in the spring and take another look at changing then. Based on mileage and need to get to and from work and no time for getting my hands dirty any change would be for a low mileage, off lease or CPO car. BTW I am 6 foot 6 so comfort is important as well as fun and a stick, 140 miles a day commuting gets boring...

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Carter

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/25/08 9:31 a.m.

run the wheels off of it. That's the only way to come out ahead financially. If you just WANT something else, well fine, go ahead. But if you look at how much that car will depreciate and cost you to maintain over the next 50k miles, nothing you could buy for that amount of money would be better..

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/08 9:32 a.m.

Every time I think about getting rid of my WRX ('04, 97k), I rediscover how much I love driving it.

Then I ask myself, "What could I replace it with that I would enjoy as much?".

Answer: "Not much, unless I spend over $30k".

At which point, any repair or maintenance costs seem like a bargain.

From your description, for $1100, you get to drive a WRX.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
11/25/08 9:35 a.m.

1100 = about 3 months payments on a new car.

Even if it doubles, and you end up putting double that into it this year, you're only up to 2200, or about 6 months on a new car.

There's a lot of reasons to buy a new car, but math is almost never one of them.

Carter
Carter New Reader
11/25/08 9:42 a.m.

that is what I think, love the car, other than lack of heated mirrors for Mi winters it is the best and most reliable car ever!

Woody
11/25/08 9:48 a.m.

And here's a tip from a friend of mine, who also has a 125k mile WRX:

When you're driving down the road, and you suddenly see tons of white smoke coming from the back of the car and you think, "head gasket"; before you order that crate motor, take a closer look. The problem is actually the $7 coolant hose that goes to the turbo.

Woody
11/25/08 9:50 a.m.
Carter wrote: that is what I think, love the car, other than lack of heated mirrors for Mi winters it is the best and most reliable car ever!

'04's with a sunroof also have heated mirrors. Look around, maybe you could retrofit a set from a wrecked one.

Carter
Carter New Reader
11/25/08 9:51 a.m.

Thanks it happened to me too! The top hose makes like a salami and gets too close to the radiator fan and slowly gets sliced.

Woody
11/25/08 9:53 a.m.
Carter wrote: Thanks it happened to me too! The top hose makes like a salami and gets too close to the radiator fan and slowly gets sliced.

No, this was a different hose. It's much smaller in diameter and goes, I think, from the back of the engine to the turbo. I cracks from the heat of the turbo.

Carter
Carter New Reader
11/25/08 9:58 a.m.

AHH Will remember that for the future, thanks Woody.

Carter
Carter New Reader
11/25/08 9:59 a.m.

Is it the same mirror? In 04 the shape changed. I have one of the last bug eyes.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
11/25/08 10:02 a.m.

WRX wheel bearings cost $400!?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/25/08 10:17 a.m.

If you have time, pulling the spindle isn't the end of the world. Take it to a machine shop and have them install the bearing. You put the spindle back on when they're done. Bet you have it done for $100 that way.

Woody
11/25/08 10:19 a.m.
Carter wrote: Is it the same mirror? In 04 the shape changed. I have one of the last bug eyes.

Not sure about the mirror, but I'm sure that the surface that they mount to is the same. You'd have to do some wiring, though. I had to replace one after a minor scruff, and I think that the whole assembly was only around $150 and they come molded in color already, so you don't have to paint it. Unless your WRX is dark red.

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
11/25/08 5:30 p.m.

I would keep the WRX until it either gets (1) a fatal problem, or (2) the repair cost (your cost if DIY) exceeds 60% of FMV if fixed. Then sell it outright or part it.

Carter
Carter New Reader
11/25/08 7:32 p.m.

Good advice from all, thanks! What are people using as the best guide to FMV?

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/25/08 7:33 p.m.

Have it scanned for CEL history. If there's a misfire code you may have a burnt valve, head gasket or a host of other smaller less expensive things.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/08 7:47 p.m.

I just went through the same thing with my Intrepid at 120,000 miles. Not much I could replace it with new in my price range that would satisfy me in the same way. I could have dropped a grand on it and kept on trucking, but little things were starting to bug me (no rear power windows, no sunroof working, no fog lights, intermittent interior lights...) I decided to go with a low-mileage used car and simply swapped fun-to-drive for way more practical. And everything works. When I want to have fun, I take the MR2.

The best advise is to buy practical and reliable, but have a spare MR2/Civic/Miata/GTi in the driveway.

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
11/25/08 9:00 p.m.

Give it to me!

I am serious!

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
11/25/08 10:44 p.m.
Carter wrote: Good advice from all, thanks! What are people using as the best guide to FMV?

5 years ago I would have said KBB west coast & NADA east coast. Now? Ebay, as a rough guide. It's too easy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EWxt2uJtexgyDRxPRciEhFgCP2VBq93M2rHojXz3tz3bJjL5E3hu8S1L2Ur3sKo9