1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
12/15/14 4:37 p.m.

Why am I asking? No reason....

Do I drop the subframe? Remove the axles from the hubs? Pull the whole engine and transmission out?

Go!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/14 4:39 p.m.

Sawzall.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/15/14 4:41 p.m.

Sell it with the car??

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/15/14 4:43 p.m.

Buy a high mileage focus they said. It'll be fun they said.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
12/15/14 4:46 p.m.

Well the last 2 FWD cars I pulled the engines on I did it from the top. Was pretty easy, I would imagine pulling the trans out the top would be pretty easy also.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/15/14 4:50 p.m.

On my old FWD Chryslers I would pop the balljoints bolts and axle nuts off, then pry down on the control arm to free the upright and remove the axle.

From there it was a matter of disconnecting the engine/transaxle cables and either lifting it out of the engine bay or lowering it onto a furniture dolly.

Typically the engine bays are cramped enough that while you CAN remove the transaxle separately, its usually easier to drop the whole thing, do some routine maintenance, cleaning, etc. and make reinstalling the clutch, etc much easier.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/14 4:54 p.m.
iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/15/14 5:34 p.m.

First, drain the fluid. Remove both axles, before removing the second axle, install something to hold the spider gears in place unless you are going to disassemble the differential. If there is any frame work/cross member under the transaxle remove it. Start disconnecting the mounts. Place jack under transaxle. Unbolt from engine.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/15/14 5:42 p.m.

oh and I forgot to mention; SHOTGUN

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
12/15/14 6:04 p.m.
Wally wrote: A chain

Beat me to it...

Hal
Hal SuperDork
12/15/14 6:20 p.m.

It can be removed from the bottom. I will try to get the info on what has to be removed besides the axles.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/14 8:07 p.m.

Shifting into reverse at 40 mph

crazycanadian
crazycanadian Reader
12/15/14 8:14 p.m.

As much fun as the other comments are, on a serious note.

You drop the Trans out threw the bottom.

Air box out. Battery Tray out. Upper mount. Bell bolts shifter and some wiring from the top. You drop the sub frame for clearance leaving the rack in the car Ect. It's not a hard job to do.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
12/15/14 10:32 p.m.

I followed the FSM. When I inprovise auto repairs, I break things. General protocol was remove battery box, remove starter motor bolts from above, halfshafts, support engine from above, remove subframe, and use a transmission jack to get the transmission out of the way. I bet that everything is documented in my build thread.

Did you get an LuK Kit or something else? Did you pick up a new clutch master cylinder as well? Do you have a flywheel holding tool of some sort?

The only downside of changing the clutch is that I STILL have a really annoying clunk coming from somewhere in the suspension.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/15/14 10:41 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Buy a high mileage focus they said. It'll be fun they said.

I love that movie.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/15/14 11:05 p.m.

What Iceracer said. You COULD be like me and pull the transmission back slightly to make repairs.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/16/14 11:12 a.m.

We dropped the entire drivetrain in one out the bottom.....but it needed an engine instead. To do the trans, you should be able to put a brace up top to support the engine while you drop the subframe, axles, & trans. Bottom removal is pretty simple.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/16/14 12:03 p.m.

Yep, support the engine with a brace, trans comes out the bottom. I did my SVT without even loosening the subframe (people will tell you you have to, but I didn't). Maybe there are some manufacturing tolerances in play there because it was SUPER close and I had to rotate the trans around a bit to get it to fit.

Hardest part for me (as I remember) was figuring out how to disconnect the shifter cables and then actually doing so.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/16/14 12:11 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

Subframes might be different from the peasant's focus and the svt? My experience is with a '00 zx3

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/16/14 2:55 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Well, the trans is certainly different, the SVT 6 speed is a 'dual-intermediate-shaft' trans I believe (3 gears on each in a v pattern rather than 6 gears (or 5) on two really long shafts), so maybe it is more compact in exactly the right dimension. Maybe the subframe is too though, I dunno.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
12/16/14 6:18 p.m.
rcutclif wrote: Yep, support the engine with a brace, trans comes out the bottom. I did my SVT without even loosening the subframe (people will tell you you have to, but I didn't). Maybe there are some manufacturing tolerances in play there because it was SUPER close and I had to rotate the trans around a bit to get it to fit. Hardest part for me (as I remember) was figuring out how to disconnect the shifter cables and then actually doing so.

^^ What he said. From my friend who has done this numerous times to install LSD for folks: Axles need to come completely out. Disconnect rear motor mount, trans end of motor must be moved forward ~300mm (exact number is in Ford FSM). In addition to shift cables disconnect reverse sensor and remove it from trans (it is fragile and easy to break). Trans must be rotated (clockwise, I think)to be able to slide it back

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
12/16/14 7:29 p.m.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
12/16/14 8:15 p.m.

"Lefty" Suddard has a certain ring to it

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/16/14 8:47 p.m.

I pop the lower ball joints and pull the axles. From there, I think you need to pull the subframe on those. (its been a few years). Then its a matter of supporting the engine (good job with the 2x4s) and unbolt.

You may need/want a way to raise and lower the engine to get the angle you need to slide the input shaft out of the clutch.

This makes me miss my days of running tranny repair shops. I had one tech who could have almost any trans out of a car in 20 minutes. He was fun to watch.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
12/17/14 7:35 a.m.

OMG!
Tommy, I hope that photo is a joke.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fbd3zYB7WUV4dAVxrF3BnOFamzOMWVI3KJDFQJwwBzInbDvpJuW4Wl5D1PvJpnuA