1 2 3 4
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/23/22 9:21 p.m.

My Audi S4 and A6 wagon.  When it comes to comfort Audis are really nice.  My wife's new Tahoe is super comfy but it's not a car.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/23/22 9:25 p.m.

87 Honda CRX was a good road car while I had it (new), but I'm bigger, now. 
Did not like the seat at first in the 86 Olds 4 dr G-Body I had in 04. But turned out to be a great hwy car. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/23/22 9:27 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Not a truck either, but I see your point. 
Lets my Travelall out of the game, if that point counts. cheekylaugh

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/23/22 10:18 p.m.

Given that everyone's definition of comfort is different, there is no one answer.

The only things I really care about is that it not corner like the Queen Mary, and when recovering from a bump, to not do a dozen slow seasick-inducing barely damped oscillations.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/23/22 10:24 p.m.

Probably my 1987 Cougar XR7 with the dark blue crushed velour seats. The seats were great and had thigh extensions, lumbar support, AND cool tilting headrests. Steering wheel was comfortable, and the A/C cranked! And that's a good thing, because the driver's window motor was dead and I was way too green with a wrench to fix it yet. 

The current DD Forte GT is pretty comfortable, too. Great seats, better steering wheel, and lots of hip/leg room. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/23/22 10:40 p.m.
kb58 said:

Given that everyone's definition of comfort is different, there is no one answer.

The only things I really care about is that it not corner like the Queen Mary, and when recovering from a bump, to not do a dozen slow seasick-inducing barely damped oscillations.

Sounds like we both had the same Ford Taurus rental...

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/24/22 12:30 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

I can live with the boat handling, or stiffen it some, as long as it's oversteer. I hate understeer, but that's a personal thing. 
On the oscillations, that a def. deal breaker!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/24/22 7:17 a.m.

Our CX9.

My 95 F150 with captains chairs was pretty comfortable but no working A/C means it is out.

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
7/24/22 8:52 a.m.

My '04 Pontiac GTO had some of the best seats I've ever driven in.  It was a great highway car when stock, with just right suspension for long trips.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/24/22 8:56 a.m.

My wife's 2015 allroad is the best road trip car we've ever owned. Soft enough not to wear you out, firm enough not to be a wallowy pig.  The sport seats were a must.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
7/24/22 9:18 a.m.

Discovery 3 or e39 530i for me. Call it a draw. Both makes excellent road trip vehicles, though the disco allows a bit more exploring once you get to the destination.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/24/22 11:59 a.m.

The outright comfiest was the Buick Roadmaster wagon, especially once I put new shocks on it. I've had two and both were super smooth comfortable highway cars. The second one I traded jthw8 for a civic coupe (he wanted the civic for the babe rally) and my wife slept almost the entire way back from Jersey. She did not sleep in the civic at all. 

Another one that was dang comfy was my ls400. It was firmer than the Roadmaster but still so smooth and isolating it made a road trip easy. 

One I hate to admit to even owning much less that it had any redeeming qualities was my Chevy celebrity. It was an awful car by most measures but the v6 was smooth and the seats were cushy and the ride was nice for long trips. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
7/24/22 12:18 p.m.

Probably a tie between my 05 grand Marquis and my 96 Q45. The Q was definitely higher build quality, but the leather in the mercury was softer. Both had excellent climate control and road-smoothing, soothingly quiet ride quality. The Biscuit has pretty good seats but the ride doesn't compare to those yachts. My 93 accord had good seats too, softer than the 99. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
7/24/22 1:31 p.m.

Bone stock 1979 300SD. Plush. Lush. Set the cruise(!) at 75 and cruise at 27mpg.

It's actually still very comfy even as a racecar but that first week before gutting it, it was glorious.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/24/22 2:09 p.m.

A toss-up between the Recaros that were in my Mustang and the seats in my old Miata. 

j_tso : I've heard a lot of good things about the MX-3 seats. I'm considering using them in my ZX2.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/24/22 2:26 p.m.

My wife finally got delivery of her new to us Buick Roadmaster. To "floaty" for me, and I'd go with cop springs, but she emphatically said it's great as is...

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/24/22 2:32 p.m.

Audi 5000 CS Turbo Quattro

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
7/24/22 3:06 p.m.

2001 BMW 530i

It blew up, of course.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
7/24/22 7:43 p.m.

1) My Citroen DS

2) 2004 Audi Allroad

3) 2014 Audi Allroad

In order of ownership, not necessarily comfort.....but the Citroen trumps all!

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
7/24/22 7:56 p.m.

For me it was a '75 Trans-Am...the car was a boat...but damned if it wasn't comfortable to drive even without a cruise control option. GM does know how to make a comfortable car.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
7/24/22 7:59 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

My answer is also w116. My 450sel was smooth!

My grandmother's Crown Victoria LTD was the most comfortable car I've ever ridden in. I love it! 

CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/24/22 8:04 p.m.

A tie for me - I had a 1998 Mazda Millennia that was really just a fantastic commuter car. Got it on a super-cheap no-money-down lease deal and loved it. My 2011 BMW 328i was right there too. Same thing, got it on a great nothing-out-of-pocket lease.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/22 8:18 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to ShawnG :

I was gonna reply to woody that the V70 and 850 wagons are bout the same, and on my "newer" list. 

My Dad bought a new 850 GLT in 1996 and that may be the most comfortable car that I've ever been in. 

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/24/22 8:38 p.m.

My old faithful winter beater '98 K1500. Not the best on fuel, but those seats are better than my living room couch. One of the quietest vehicles I own too, because stock exhaust....

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/24/22 8:51 p.m.

My '94 Chevy K1500 was the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned.  A ton of sidewall, and the seats were very comfortable (that was back when Silverado was only a trim package).   Fuel economy was the only thing that prevented me from taking it on longer trips, that would have gotten expensive!

Our '00 Saab 9-3 and '97 328is were probably the most comfortable cars we've owned, both loved to eat up the miles.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nzrx81ayXqKAG4qbuWQYQkjtzUDRiAJRfxPjiZXqNLmvFF6toyxeUNcjsgupP8bX