1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
6/30/10 11:29 a.m.

Take the V6 engine, manual transmission and front and rear suspension from a Lincoln LS and put it into a 99-02 Mercury Cougar, for less than $2012.

And then turbocharge the engine after the Challenge.

Bob

xfactoraeg
xfactoraeg New Reader
6/30/10 11:31 a.m.

I don't allow myself to go too crazy and have the build all planned out in my head, that'd be too dangerous

E30 lowered, flared on some nice wheels. Perhaps a 1uzfe.

Volvo 740 or 940 wagon with junkyard turbo upgrades. Lowered, suspension, roof rack sleeper-esque. Old Corolla wagon would work too.

ZAV older Rover or Toyota SUV.

SC300/SC400 with 1jzgte

LS1 into a 2nd gen RX-7

Some kind of rat rod. Maybe with a 1uzfe. Any old school muscle era or with curves is also acceptable. Roller paintjob.

Turbo Miata or 20v 1st gen MR2.

Box flared black SEC. Thanks box flare thread.

As of right now, I'd be happy if I can keep my daily in good running order and start some work to get my F2 CBR back on the road. Relatively simple fixes one would think, but well...

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader

Oh, and add a crazy lifted, rock crawlin' Jeep Cherokee Z.A.V. into the mix for me, I just thought of that.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader

2 stroke Saab with a modern 2 stroke snowmobile engine, possibly turbocharged

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 New Reader
6/30/10 11:35 a.m.

two door jeep cherokee with the roof cut off from the front seats back like a bronco/bjazer-ish , lifted a small amount with wide steels ad off road tires , offroad bumpers with fogs, a roll cage and a 5.9L v8 or a turbo 4.0 i6 .

a 80's blazer or s10 with a small block and a manual trans , lowered on some vette sawblades or some euro flavoreed wheels meant for a bmw.

my rb25det out of my z into a second gen rx7

building the free 2jz i got and putting it my cressida wagon, with some diamond racing steel wheels and perfect interior.

i just got my b16 civic wagon back and i've been tossing 16x8 0offset sportmaxxes and hopping up the motor to make a nice fast sleepy dd.

turboing or swapping the i6 in my f150 for a 460 , 4 inch lift and cleaning the crud out of it to make it look brand new on it's 35 inch wrapped 15x14 weld wheels....

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
6/30/10 11:35 a.m.

I'm back on my Tri-magnum kick, dug up the old plans and manual, been lurking on thelr forum, and checking out donor bikes.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/30/10 11:43 a.m.
Supercoupe wrote: I'm back on my Tri-magnum kick, dug up the old plans and manual, been lurking on thelr forum, and checking out donor bikes.

I've always liked those. Prodded by you, I went looking for the tri-magnum site; here's what I found.

http://www.wheels3.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=48035f870a8638fc4d7d85a0e21b4fe5

Damn Russian spies.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
6/30/10 11:55 a.m.

yeah...uh..well...I'm on the yahoo groups forum not those...although some looked interesting to say the least...

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
6/30/10 11:58 a.m.

a Dodge Dynasty with a 426 hemi in it! Yea buuuuddddy....

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
6/30/10 12:31 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
z31maniac wrote: I've been wondering if there is anyway to make a reliable 300whp on the new Speed3 with out the engine going zoom zoom BOOM! I'd also like to do some RPF1s, stickier tires, coilovers, sways on the MS3. Next year I'm going to start looking for another E30. Only this time instead of OBD-I S52 and G260 trans.......................S54 + cams + 6spd and see if I can get a 300whp E30 track car that redlines at 8K+
You can get 300wHP from an S52 w/ sunbelts, solid lifters, stronger springs, headers and a good tune. The ZF 5sp or better is essential - I'm suprised you didn't kill the 260 with the stock S52. They don;t last long at the track that way at all. Guys in CM are getting 400 from an S54. Bone stock will net you 290-300. Its a suer sweet motor but I'd be spending for an LS in that price range if racing wasn't a concern.

I like the idea of the LS1 as well, but with new ECU options available now, the S54 is becoming almost as plug-n-play as the S52 is.

As far as a built S52 or built S54, that'd be more than I'd want to do. Just find one with good strong compression numbers, regasket the whole thing (headgasket/head bolts included) drop in and enjoy.

The LS1 still requires some skilled fabrication, and fabricatun' skeelz I lack.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
6/30/10 12:36 p.m.

Made an appointment to get 2.5" dual exhaust bent up for this:

Call insurance company and add car, update registration, made inspection appointment. I already found every cruise night, rally cross, and autocross date for the rest of the summer. Find a backer for door panels that fits in the trunk of a camaro, 4x8 sheets not so much.

SR20 Lusting again, less B13 and more P10 flavored. Curious about the cost of an SR20VE swap and how much space is inside a G20.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/30/10 12:40 p.m.

The ability to pull wheelies on a lawn mower

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
6/30/10 12:49 p.m.

I need to get the buell back up to snuff, I got started procuring parts and making a leakdown tester, then crashed the thing; so now that I'm healed up some, it is time to get back in the saddle again.

The mercedes needs front suspension work and I have to check the differential for a weird sound when the autotrans downshifts. I found out yesterday that my car doesn't handle so well, I got up to the twisty roads and had a newer miata on my tail, so I hit it. Damn the front suspension in my car is loose. I was going to give the guy a free pass but he chilled it back. The only thing my car had over the miata was power, but that sure didn't matter through the turns.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/10 1:24 p.m.

Thinking of an Audi V8 in the nose of my 924 to replace the 4-pot Audi motor. 944 turbo transaxle out back with factory LSD. With the fiberglass 924 GTR bodywork already on the car and the lack of interior it should go like stink.

Also want to revisit my failed Fiat X-1/9, Chrysler 2.2 Turbo project. Just need to finish the 924 first and find a... See More decent Fiat swap candidate.

Then again, a Locost based on a 924 drivetrain would be pretty fun and slightly better balanced than a regular 924. Just would need to shorten the torque tube to fit the shorter wheelbase of the Locost.

PJChilds
PJChilds
6/30/10 1:34 p.m.

Somebody please give me a good reason NOT to do this to my '79 RX7.

RX7 Small Block Chevy conversion

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
6/30/10 1:39 p.m.

I know I'm going to come across as a fanboy, but PLEASE don't do that to your SA22. Those cars are harder and harder to find in good shape. If you have to swap a V8 into a 1st gen, make it an 84-85, those are everywhere. Including my garage.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
6/30/10 1:40 p.m.
  1. The urge to buy a sub $1k, 4-door, slant-6 powered ANYTHING (uglier the better,) for turbocharged cruising/head turning purposes is almost getting to be too much to resist. Must finish Challenge car. Must finish CRX. And as of last night, must start on new LeMons car.

2. I really should've bought that American Deluxe Tele for $300. Seriously. What the berkeley was I thinking?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
6/30/10 1:41 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: SR20 Lusting again, less B13 and more P10 flavored. Curious about the cost of an SR20VE swap and how much space is inside a G20.

G20.net has a lot of ve swap info!

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/30/10 1:43 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: 1. The urge to buy a sub $1k, 4-door, slant-6 powered ANYTHING (uglier the better,) for turbocharged cruising/head turning purposes is almost getting to be too much to resist. Must finish Challenge car. Must finish CRX. And as of last night, must start on new LeMons car. 2. I really should've bought that American Deluxe Tele for $300. Seriously. What the berkeley was I thinking?

Then you need one of these for the ugly slant-6 fix.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
6/30/10 1:59 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote:
poopshovel wrote: 1. The urge to buy a sub $1k, 4-door, slant-6 powered ANYTHING (uglier the better,) for turbocharged cruising/head turning purposes is almost getting to be too much to resist. Must finish Challenge car. Must finish CRX. And as of last night, must start on new LeMons car. 2. I really should've bought that American Deluxe Tele for $300. Seriously. What the berkeley was I thinking?
Then you need one of these for the ugly slant-6 fix.

Ugly? Yes. But not my particular brand of ugly.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/30/10 2:00 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

What is your brand of ugly? I want one of those really ugly Darts.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/30/10 2:22 p.m.
unevolved wrote: I know I'm going to come across as a fanboy, but PLEASE don't do that to your SA22. Those cars are harder and harder to find in good shape. If you have to swap a V8 into a 1st gen, make it an 84-85, those are everywhere. Including my garage.

There was (is?) a bluish-gray first gen that sat behind a fence in the back lot of the place next to where I used to work (left 2 months ago). It's just sitting in the back with a bunch of less-interesting cars, but it appeared to be in decent shape from the outside. No real rust or rot from what I could tell. I don't know what year it is, but if anyone will be around Wilmington, NC and wants to try to buy it, just shoot me a message. I can't guarantee they'll sell, but it's been sitting for as long as I worked next door.

mw
mw HalfDork
6/30/10 2:34 p.m.

I need to find a vtps and tune my megasquirted turbo miata autox car so I can autox again. Then I want to buy a c5 Z06 and make a hitch for it so I can tow my miata to autox events.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
6/30/10 2:49 p.m.

our new food joint tacos , burritos , arapaes and pininis

And this weeks Rolex blast over to daytona for couple days buy a Mitty program from grm hq

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
6/30/10 2:58 p.m.

turboing my Impreza on the super-cheap. then I get to thinking about the Megasquirt PNP that DIY has and 'super cheap' becomes 'sorta cheap'

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pl3BxMiolJtr76hLccB2n8TtQYNdBGRzetOUaBiFGYJ727hUTwOMslkC8sHPxR2p