1 ... 3 4 5
Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/30/20 8:40 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

The word "folks" offends you? I'm from NY and I use it every day. It's apparently more neutral than saying "you guys."

This.  I used to use "guys" but I switched to "folks" because it is even more obviously gender-neutral (I think guys is gender neutral too, but understand that others don't).

What should I be saying? "You people"?

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
1/30/20 8:46 a.m.

You guys sound like folks I sure wanna hang around with.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/30/20 8:53 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

"You folks"?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/30/20 9:20 a.m.
Duke said:This.  I used to use "guys" but I switched to "folks" because it is even more obviously gender-neutral (I think guys is gender neutral too, but understand that others don't).

I am offended by your using the non-inclusive word "people."  You are obviously a specie-ist, and that is totally like not-acceptable. Who says 10 years of higher education was wasted?

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/30/20 9:42 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Buying my Accord my salesman chats me up and tells me he's from Ohio and went to high school with Larry Csonka.  

Oh yeah? In another year or two the young people won't know who your talking about.  

I work with his grandson. Seriously. He brought in an original trading card signed by his grandfather.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/30/20 10:22 a.m.

Just thought of another quick one.

Years ago, a friend's little brother saved up some cash to buy his 1st car. He was looking at anything and everything, and spotted a red 1988 RX7 at a sleazy car lot a couple towns over from ours. Excited, he asked his brother and I to meet him there to check it out. While we were on the way there, the salesman fired up the car, revved it up, and it backfired. There was a pile of leaves behind the car, and they caught fire. And so did the back bumper of the RX7! We got there just as they extinguished the fire. Salesman was still trying to sell us the smouldering car as we walked away laughing.

car39
car39 Dork
1/30/20 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

In Connecticut, you can take a credit card for a deposit, but not for purchase.  The DMV requires the vehicle to be paid for, either in full or by a finance agreement.  Since you can dispute a credit card, they don't consider it payment in full for the car, and it's not to be titled or registered.  Not saying it doesn't happen, but....

I have some great customer stories, but this isn't the thread for it.  I did have a customer come into my showroom in tears because one of my competitors had take possession of her credit card, and would not return it until she purchased a car.  We advised her to call the police, and offered the use of our phone.  We're not all heartless, and some of us do have mothers.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
1/30/20 11:08 a.m.
Duke said:

Ask this guy how that worked out

I'm going to say that for most of you, the term you's guys would probably go unnoticed

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
1/30/20 11:33 a.m.

So here's a new one on me.

On autotrader there's sometimes a tab for receive Carfax report. If the dealer doesn't offer the service, there is a tab for Buy Carfax report. If I see it's available I take advantage and ask for the report. In order to get it you must give your email address and it's sent to you. No problem. Except some dealers don't actua;ly offer the Carfax, they just do it to get your email address.

I've been going back and forth with one of them for almost a week now.

Are you interested in the car?

Only if I can see the carfax.

We don't offer that.

OK, I'm not interested.

Let me put in the request for you. Can I have your number for our files?

OK thanks. I don't give out my number.

I can send it to you but only text. Can I have your cell number?

No I don't give it out. Please use the email address you originally asked for.

Sorry we can't send it that way.

OK, thanks.

Are you still interested? You asked for the Carfax but now you don't want to cooperate?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/20 11:36 a.m.

april 1997, there's a '95 GSR hatch on the used lot at local Honda dealer.  I drive it, i love it, i'm gonna buy it but not for the $17k ask.  sitting at salesman's desk, he uses the typical "what's it gonna take to get you to sign papers today?"  I point to the happy loving couple pic of him and his sweetie and say "you think she's up for it?"  he LOLs and said "i deserved that."  i didn't buy that day, but i went back a couple days later and signed papers at $15.5k.  

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/30/20 1:52 p.m.

Back around 2015, I went to the local BMW dealer to check out a 2011 335i they had on the lot. My wife was driving a 2004 BMW 330i ZHP six speed with about 85k on the dial. Car had no flaws, no accidents. New shocks all around. Wife was tired of driving manual.

They ask if I want to get an appraisal for a trade. I say, "I guess so, but I doubt you will give me what I want."  We do it anyway and they offer me $3000. Uhhhh, no.

I take the 335 as it's cheap and my wife wants it.  Takes a week to line up a time where everything comes together and both my wife and I can come in to pick it up.

In that week I sell the ZHP private party for $9500.

We come in to pick up the 335.

Sales Guy: "So, what did you end up doing with your old car?"

Me: "I sold it for $9500 a few days ago."

Sales Guy: "What did we offer you in trade again?"

Me: "$3000"

Sales Guy: looking perplexed, "We offered you $3000 and you sold it for $9500?"

Me: "Yep."

He delivers us to the finance manager so we can do the paperwork.

Finance Manager: "So, what is this replacing?"

Me: "We had a 2004 330i."

Finance Manager: "Oh, did we offer you a trade?"

Me: "Yes, your guys offered me $3000 last week and I sold it in four days for $9500."

Finance Manager: looking perplexed, "We offered you $3000 and you sold it for $9500?"

Me: "Yep."

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
1/30/20 2:03 p.m.

In early 2001 I was looking for a new car and I was test driving some 1st-gen Neons. One salesman took me to a backroad and told me to go nuts, we ended up doing about 100.

And then I ended up buying a Focus from another dealership, the salesman was kind of creepy and on the test drive asked me to drive past the women's prison, and commented something along the lines of how he'd like to get in there for a day.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
1/30/20 2:14 p.m.

Last April we were hit by a large hailstorm just north of here in Cocoa.  Cocoa Hyundai had almost every car on their lot damaged, and shortly after ran a TV ad saying "50% off hail-damaged cars!"  My daughter and I went there to check to see if we could get a bargain on an Accent, and she test-drove a white one that looked pretty much like a golf ball.  Their offer was $21k on an $18k sticker.

The next week, she ended up with a brand-new, perfect Fiesta for $16k out the door.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/30/20 2:48 p.m.

I think I was in High School when the WRX was first introduced in the States. A local dealership had one and at that time me and my friend we often visited dealerships just to play with cars. Now that I am older I don't feel bad dealing with some of the dirtbag sales people. Anyways so we pull up to see a Blue WRX, we got out of the car and point to the WRX and were thrown the keys. We were shocked but super excited, I could tell from the dirt underneath that were not the only people that wanted to do some spirited driving with it.  I flogged the WRX around and brought it back and talked to the Salesperson, he basically told us that they were encouraged to let people test drive to get the word of mouth out there. They kept it at a 1/4 of a tank or less so people would be back shortly. It's still on my list of cars to have because of this, but it is getting hard to fine one that isn't clapped out.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/30/20 4:39 p.m.
car39 said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

In Connecticut, you can take a credit card for a deposit, but not for purchase.  The DMV requires the vehicle to be paid for, either in full or by a finance agreement.  Since you can dispute a credit card, they don't consider it payment in full for the car, and it's not to be titled or registered.  Not saying it doesn't happen, but....

That sounds familiar.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
1/30/20 5:20 p.m.

Two stories, one kinda funny the other about a good dealer:

I may have told this story before. Back in 2003, wife and I were in the market for new cars and both of us had fallen in love with the MINI.  We drove 100 miles to the local dealer (at the time) and took test drives.  I wanted a standard Cooper (for H-stock), she wanted an S.  We were probably sold before we showed up, but test drove them anyway.  My test drive is first.  Sales guy in the front seat, wife in the back.  Sales guy tells me all about the car the whole time I'm driving.  Not annoyingly, as you could tell he liked them.  Then we get in the S.  Wife's driving, me in the back.  Wife peels out of the lot and proceeds to keep it on full boil the whole time, just driving the snot out of it.  Sales guy hasn't said a word other than, "left here, right here" etc.  Coming back towards the lot, there's a short lot road and and 90 degree right onto the lot.  She's still accelerating and she's at about 60 before stomping on the brakes, downshifting and cranking hard into the turn.  As it happens, there was a puddle of water in the corner, so the car does a four wheel, "chirp, chrip, chirp" as it bounces sideway.  Tires catch grip and pulls onto the lot at a bit of a hot pace.  The only sound she made during the entire drive was at that moment, when the most deep guttural pure pleasure "Huh, huh, huh, hahaha" came out.  She was grinning ear to ear and turned back to me and said, "Oh, I gotta have this!!"  Sales guy was actually pretty calm.

We put deposits down and ordered two cars that day....

Second story, I was in the market for a truck to haul my kid's kart all over Texas in '08.  Specifically wanted an extended cab, V6 Silverado with cruise and power windows/locks, black bumpers and grill (basically, the old WT package) and tow package.  Black was my preferred color, but would take any color if the deal was right.  Did the whole email dealers with what I wanted thing.  Most either hard loaded trucks or were only about a grand off of sticker.  One guy sent me a quote of $15.5k on a $24k sticker.  Replied back for a VIN and equipment list he replied with the list and an OTD price of $16.1k.  I had already arranged financing, so I drove the 60 miles to the dealer, expecting to be baited and switched.  I wasn't in a rush.  When I got there, I found him and he said they were in the back, but didn't have a black one like I wanted.  We went back to check out the trucks.  One was tan with the black bumpers and grill, the other was black, but with the $400 chrome grill and bumper.  I chose black and he laughed that he figured I would, even though I'd said I wanted the WT package.  He knocked $170 off the chrome pack and we did the deal.  Probably took longer to sign the paperwork than doing the deal.  Nice and easy.  Turns out they'd bought the inventory of a bankrupt shady GM dealer in Houston.  The Houston dealer sticker was still on the truck and was almost $30k after their paint protection, VIN etching, upholstery stain coating, etc....No wonder they'd gone bankrupt.

3 years and 65k miles later (I'd added a black camper shell during that time), I was thinking about trading up to a V8.  For fun, had CarMax give me a quote on my truck.  Their $15.5k offer is how I ended up in a Tahoe.

-Rob

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/30/20 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Harvey :

Dealer:  that was our plan too

03Panther
03Panther Reader
1/30/20 6:11 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Didn't understand. Then I look up location. Your forgiven.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3lybaQKhkXSx9FqnNGVU5frc0pvRi3OYfw1dC92j1t3TB3VLozy1rILdLYY4eRob